• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
end of eva (repost)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rygar

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Sorry i just noticed this board and originaly posted this in the encyclopedia board!

I didn't get the part when shinji is in the room with asuka and she is unconscience (sp) and he knocks her over and shows her boobs and the camera shows the door and then a closeup of his hand. i didn't get that. im not sure if he was crying or not and if anything was on his hand...sry my tv is really messed up, thanks!!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
He was masturbating.
Rygar

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quote
umm...ok...
Rygar

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quote
is that even a real word??
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote
No, seriously. He was staring at her breasts, and then you hear him breathing heavily. He stares at the bodily fluids left in his hands, and utters something like, "I'm so disgusting."

Like Tony K said in the thread in the encyc, it's supposed to be symbolic, but the nitty gritty of it was that he was wanking off to Asuka's body. There's a hundred ways to read into it after you know that.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Rygar wrote:
is that even a real word??

Masturbating? Yes, it is. It's when you give yourself an orgasm through the use of your hand or another device.
Rygar

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
hmm...very interesting...the japanese are interesting...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Rygar wrote:
hmm...very interesting...the japanese are interesting...

Just curious Rygar-san, how old are you?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:09 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of ways to read into it that make it much more than just some kid wanking in a chair though. You could see it as a reminder of the folly of man and his drive for carnal pleasures, or even more simply, the extent to which he sees Asuka and how he is ashamed that he would do such a thing while watching her.
Rygar

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:12 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD: umm...could u dumben down a lil? htx
Tony k: im 18 but have never heard the word masturbate. we have other phrases...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Humans lust for sex. That's bad. Asuka is ill and her life is in danger, and all Shinji can think about is sex. This shows that even in a dire situation, mankind will always revert to something so base as sex. Humans = gross. Shinji knows that. He's ashamed of himself, but he chooses to not change that and does it anyway.

Synonyms for masturbating:
Jerking off, wanking, slapping the donkey, a date with Rosy and her five sisters, banging the cyclops, auditioning the finger puppets, etc, etc, etc.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Rygar wrote:
Tony k: im 18 but have never heard the word masturbate. we have other phrases...

Oh, I see. Where do you live then? Your profile says "neo chicago," so I thought you were talking about somewhere like Chicago, Illinois.

As for SakechanBD-sama's explanation. I think it might help if you know a little about Christianity (which I don't.)

In the case of this scene, I think it's kind of like saying Shinji has a duty to fullfil as a man. In Christianity, I think men are supposed to be made in the image of God or something, and that since Shinji gave in to his carnal pleasures (thought more about sex than what he should've been doing,) it might represent how man strayed away from the path of righteousness and all of that to what we are now.

Again, I'm NOT a Christian, nor do I claim to know what I'm talking about. It's been so long since I've seen the series and movies and I'm simply trying to interperet what I thought had happened given what little religious background I actually have.

If I offended anyone with my inaccurate Christian remarks or did a poor job of trying to explain this, I apologize. Sad
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
actually, if I recall correctly, mastubation is one of the worst things a person can do in the Hebrew Scriptures...more often known as the Sin of (I can't remember his name but it begins with an "A") and it was a big problem mostly because it was a waste of "seed" at a time when reproducing was vital to survive as a tribe since infant mortality rates were so high

the things and phrases you can learn on an anime forum....
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll back Tony K up here.

Note, I'm not propounding any kind of beliefs here. This is just what I've extracted from the Bible from a merely literary point of view.

It says in the bible that sexual intercourse is a pure act that should be only done in the sanctity of a marriage. Masturbating is not only violating that sanctity, but is self abuse-- degrading and injuring the body that God gave you. Also, since masturbation often involves fantasizing about sexual things, like naked people and what not, it's a form of lust, which is one of the seven sins. (And thus, if you do so while you are married, you are commiting the heavy sin of adultery.)

In that respect, Shinji caves in to a sin. Instead of taking care of a wounded friend, he lusts after her body and strays from the path of righteousness. This may also tie in with what happens later on, when spoiler[Shinji gets crucified in his Eva.]

It says in Job: "I made a covenant with my eyes not to look with lust upon a girl. I know full well that the Almighty God sends calamity on those who do."

Read into that how you will, but since Eva is so bloody drenched in religious symbolism anyway, his sexcapade could be taken as that step away from righteousness, and a symbol for all that is wrong with mankind that needs to be eradicated from the world.
Ghenn

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Read into that how you will, but since Eva is so bloody drenched in religious symbolism anyway, his sexcapade could be taken as that step away from righteousness, and a symbol for all that is wrong with mankind that needs to be eradicated from the world.

I always saw it as how messed up Shinji is in the head, but looking at what you said, I'll have to agree:)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2