• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[ATTN] A Letter to the ANN Mods

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quote
Dear ANN Mods,

I would like to say that this is a really good board, but as of late I have seen that many of your mods are being too strict and locking any threads that seem dumb and stupid.
Take a page from the Adult Swim message boards: when someone posts something that seems stupid and dumb, they don't automatically lock the thread. Actually, they leave them alone. They just let them be.
See for some odd reason, I think that the mods here at ANN don't like seeing any ideas and stuff like that. Mostly, you all think that it doesn't contribute to the discussion. Discussion of what??? If people wanna discuss an idea of William Hung singing anime songs, then let them. If someone needs fanfiction help, then by all means help him.
Please, take consideration into what you lock and not lock. Maybe then, we can have a place where ideas and theories can be shared without threat of being locked.

Thank You,
HeeroYuy135
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
Back when there were a hundred or so regular posters on this forum, we let the forum go with very little moderating, and the result was a wonderful, relaxed place with a great signal to noise ratio.

Lots of intelligent conversation about the similarities between Nausicaa and Mononoke, about the merit of having a degree in cinematography before reviewing anime. The obviously are the higher end examples, but we also had lots of pretty common discussions about recent news, events in a popular anime, and what not.

What we didn't have, was a new thread every day about favorite anime, who would win a fight and a different game.

Unfortunately, as the forum started to grow, we had a lot, and I mean a lot of crap. Ten people would start threads asking what everyone's favorite anime was, four others would starts lists like "what's your favorite seiyu" and "who's your favorite anime girl", then there'd be four more threads that were games.

And of course, half the posts sounded like this:
Quote:
mines kenshin whats ur fav anime

Quote:
dose anyone know the name of that anime where the gold hared guy kiks the ass of the black hared guy?

Quote:
im a 24 anime fan living in san francisco and i was wondering if anyone could tellme where i could find a store that sell that i could buy anime dvds like the 3 disc miyazaki dvd boxed set if you know where that store is please im me on aol at animefan444 if im not on you can email me at [email protected] please also tell me if they happen to have any cheap wallscrolls

Quote:
OMFG can you believe it? Bush won the primaries!

We didn't like it, and neither did our older, regular posters. People who had been contributing to great discussion decided to leave and go other places. This left us, the people who run this place, with a tough decision. Either we could let the forum go, and watch the people whose conversation we enjoyed leave; or we could take a heavy handed moderating approach and try to keep the forum "intelligent."

We opted for the latter. We know that there are people who want to talk about things that don't require any thought, but we also know that there are people that want to discuss more philosophical issues of anime.

We can't have both. And since we have to chose one, we'll do everything in our power to have the one that we want.

I do apologize for when the moderating appears to be too heavy handed. As moderators, we've had to delte a lot of garbage from these forums, and unfortunately our tolerance has become zero, or even slightely negative. We're reacting too strongly to things that we probably should allow to stay, because it doesn't appeal to us. We're only human though, so pleae bear with us. Hopefully, through it all, we'll find a nice equilibrium.

Christopher Macdonald
Owner - Anime News Network

Last edited by Tempest on Tue May 18, 2004 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:20 am Reply with quote
So, in the beginning you didn't have the strict moderation, but as time went on, you had all this crap and more crap. You had to do something, so you tighened the rules.

I can see that...now I understand why this all happened.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:51 am Reply with quote
Adult Swim's boards are as close to anarchy as I can think of.

They could stand a little more moderation.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:04 am Reply with quote
Considering the circumstances, I can see exactly why Tempest would have to tighten the reins here. After all, I mod a board with only about 30 people on there. If we had as nearly as many posters there as there are here, it would be an utter nightmare. (though the traffic would be welcomed)

In the end, I like things the way there are. There are times where I wish I could lock unnecessary threads, but I know the mods will get to them eventually. I had a friend of mine point out to me that I practically live here on the ANN forum, so I think it's that I just have a tendency to see things first. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote
Can't there be a time warning for some threads?

I wanted to add some info to the Song of the South thread, because of a DVD collection Cookie linked. However, when I went to post after I did some research on Amazon and Rotten.com's Library about certain banned cartoons, I find it locked after I had the page in the background while I was doing my research. Now i'm miffed.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:30 am Reply with quote
The moderating here is fair and helps to stop this forumm from degenerating into the likes of the AS board.

The mods like to encourage intelligent conversation and the only way to ensure that this board remians somewhat intelligent is to lock useless and stupid threads, and not to be rude but the Wiliimiam Hung thread was both.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:50 am Reply with quote
I find the mods here run a tight ship and I like that. This is one of the few forums out there that encourage real discussion, and not just a list of your favorite anime. I also like how proper grammer is enforced, and I can actually read people's posts without need for a translator.

All in all, this is one of the best anime forums out there, and I don't want it turn into the anarchy of the AS forums or Gamefaqs. The mods do a good job here, and I don't have any complaints.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
The FUNimation message board is so chok-a-bloked with those sort of repeated messages that it doesn't work right anymore and is virtually void of any intellectual conversation, though I'm not too sure it ever had that in the first place me thinks. the Mods all seem on the brink of a nervous breakdown. Rolling Eyes
Hotaru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
the AS message boards are just a mess. you can't keep track of threads you post in, because people post nonsense fifteen times a day. it's better here.

the only problem i have here, is with certain members getting bitchy at other newer members for stupid reasons. i won't go into detail but if any of the mods wanna know what i'm talking about, please pm me, cause it's really making me want to stop coming here...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey thanks for informing me on why things are the way they are here. For the most part, the AS boards are full of crap and more crap, and that here there isn't that much crap. This is why I like tha ANN boards than the AS boards: people are actually smarter here.

I would like to give my apologies to the mods if I offended you in anyway, and would like to wish this board a happy prosperity.

Thanks again,
Matthew-san
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
As far as moderation goes, this place is far from heavily enforced. Sure, there's been threads I thought ought to have been left alone (and others I thought should have been locked but weren't), but on the whole, I think ANN experiences the happy medium.

Good enough for me, at least.

Vet crustiness towards newbs is kind of just a sign of a maturing board. It just happens. Sure, you can try to regulate it and stamp it down, but generally it takes care of itself.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Bah, crustiness builds character... It's a gauntlet. Smile

In all seriousness though, some people are way too sensetive. The fact is, the vets around here could be far worse in their nature. They give a little ribbing and stamp down hard on stupidity. If people wish to continue pointless and/or unintelligent threads, it makes sense as to why they get chased off. They either leave, or they stay and start to contribute. In that sense, the problem does take care of itself. I've never really considered the overall atmosphere as being too heavy handed or too lenient. It's pretty balanced in here, and I think that's why I enjoy this forum so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Locking the newb threads that are like some of the examples given could be a good thing for the newb. It shows themthe type of board the mods want to have.
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who like to throw ideas out...most of them are dumb, but I like to see what type of reaction it gets...now I learned now not to just throw ideas out, but think them out before posting them...

and thanks again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2