• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your "classic" anime episodes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well just as the title suggests the topic of this thread is:

"What episode(s) of an anime do you find to be classic?"

What I mean by classic is an episode you favoured/loved over any other episode in the series as well as being the episode you remember the most about a particular series.

Note: Include spoilers as we are talking about specific episodes and events contained in the particular episode.

For my first post as well as an example for you all here it is:

Episode 10, Ouran High School Host Club - I simply loved this episode. For those who have watched the series you will remember this episode as the one where spoiler[the Host Club goes to visit the home of Haruhi. Their views of the commoner's home was completely hilarious and strangely I didn't find it offensive. I enjoyed the naive outlook that the Host Club had, and it was enjoyable to watch Suou, Kaoru and Hikaru hold back what they had wanted to say and do while Haninozuka and Morinozuka acted without hesitation. Also I felt this episode was one of the cuter episodes in the series (in terms of the art). Finally to top off this episode was the introduction of Haruhi's father, the Okama Ranka-san. Ranka was enjoyable to watch in his torment of Tamaki and it was nice seeing a lighter side to Haruhi and her relationship to her father in the short flashback]. All in all this episode remains to be a classic episode in the series.

Last edited by IchigoK90 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
tsubasafan1993

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Love Hina Again OAV Episode 1 Also Known As Love Hina Episode 28

spoiler[I'll Never forget the shock of naru feeling up Motoko]

Embarassed
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode 10 of Ouran, too, for the same reasons. I was particularly amused by spoiler[Ranka-san casually throwing Tamaki into the wall].

Probably my favourite anime of all time is Honey and Clover, and there is one episode in particular that stands out in my mind. Oddly, most of the anime bloggers that have dealt with this series on an episode-by-episode basis consider it a forgettable recap episode, which is completely at odds with my impression. I'm talking about episode 10 of Honey and Clover, where spoiler[the gang takes a wintertime river cruise on the Sumida river to Kasai, and ride the giant ferris wheel there. It's a very introspective episode (and perhaps the backward-looking nature of the introspection is what causes it to be unjustly condemned as "just another recap episode"), and I found it deeply moving. When next I visit Tokyo, I will be taking the same trip -- this is an ironclad certainty.]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tsubasafan1993

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was particularly amused by spoiler[Ranka-san casually throwing Tamaki into the wall].

I Know what you mean my dad kept telling me to shut up and stop laughing about that. spoiler[I almost thought Tamaki might actually get hurt from that I also thought it was funny that he was growing mushrooms in their storage closet.]

{MODERATION NOTICE: Don't "break" spoiler tags when you quote. That's a definite no-no. Also, when it comes to posting, we prefer quality over quantity. Try to inject a little more substance into what you post. -- abunai}
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I liked episode 10 of Ouran, too, for the same reasons. I was particularly amused by spoiler[Ranka-san casually throwing Tamaki into the wall].

Probably my favourite anime of all time is Honey and Clover, and there is one episode in particular that stands out in my mind. Oddly, most of the anime bloggers that have dealt with this series on an episode-by-episode basis consider it a forgettable recap episode, which is completely at odds with my impression. I'm talking about episode 10 of Honey and Clover, where spoiler[the gang takes a wintertime river cruise on the Sumida river to Kasai, and ride the giant ferris wheel there. It's a very introspective episode (and perhaps the backward-looking nature of the introspection is what causes it to be unjustly condemned as "just another recap episode"), and I found it deeply moving. When next I visit Tokyo, I will be taking the same trip -- this is an ironclad certainty.]

- abunai

Honey & Clover is also my favourite all time series and I also enjoyed that episode, particularly the part where spoiler[Morita goes into a fit inside the ferris wheel]. However I always had that episode mixed up with the episode where they spoiler[visit the zoo] which was episode 3 if I'm not mistaken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
As far as humorous episodes go, my favorites would have to be Fullmetal vs. Flame and the "Flame Alchemist" episode from Fullmetal Alchemist, not to mention the American Hot Springs episode of Shaman King. I've always loved the mishmash of personalities that make up Mustang's staff, so getting to see more of them in comedic situations was awesome. The SK episode comes in during a rather episodic arc spoiler[that sees Yoh and the gang bouncing from place to place across the American west], and most of the episodes in it at least made me chuckle, but the hot springs was by far the best. I nearly died laughing when spoiler[the shapeshifting spirit was pretending to be Anna!]

I also love "Mushroom Samba" from Cowboy Bebop (it had my little brother and me practically rolling on the floor laughing) and "Mustached Beef Rib Rice Bowl with Rich Sauce" from Galaxy Angel A, which is so incredibly disturbing that it's hysterical - moreso even than the rest of GA.

When it comes to more serious episodes, most of the ones that really stick out for me are the side story episodes from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG. The team behind that anime did an amazing job with the whole series, but the three episodes I remember most just for being so hauntingly beautiful and thought provoking are "Night Cruise",which is told largely from the point of view of a depressed ex-military helicopter pilot, "Affection", which, on top of being gorgeously animated, is a beautifully painful bit of backstory, and "Poker Face", in which Saito tells the story of how he first met the Major. I also really, really loved episode 33 of Revolutionary Girl Utena; it was so surreal and beautiful, yet at the same time dark and threatening. The whole last arc of Utena was unbelievable, but that episode in particular really stood out for me.

Last edited by Murasakisuishou on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Suzumiya Haruhi - Live Alive. Best episode in the series, featuring one of my favorite scenes ever.

Full Metal Alchemist - The Flame Alchemist. The "Give Me Back My Girlfriend" shout just makes this episode even better, it even had character...well, if not development, we learned something about them.

Eureka 7 - Memento Mori and Helter Skelter (37 and 38, I think) - Incredible episodes, the use of music in MM was fantastic, I loved the overall feel it had. Dramatic end for that arc.

RahXephon - Episode 19. spoiler[That's the episode where he kills his friend accidently, more or less.] The best episode in the whole series, and if I have to think of Rahx, then I think of that episode and the ramune-soda-scene.
EDIT: Episode 19, of course. My brain...

Vision of Escaflowne - I don't know the episode name or number, but it's the only episode where the track "Chain" is played.spoiler[They use the fate-altering machine to draw Hitomi and Allen together.] It was the first episode I saw of that series and it is incredible, though I didn't understand much at that time.

Last edited by Labbes on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Ouran episode 10 love, yeah! I agree that it's a classic, for exactly the same reasons. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, spoiler[that's the episode where Tamaki is growing mushrooms in the closet while being casually abused by Ranka. The "mushroom room" label is something that I've really wanted to place on my room's door for a while.]

On the subject of Honey and Clover: as with abunai, it's probably one of my all-time favorites. But the classic episodes for me are actually episodes 3 and 4 of the second season. Episode 3 being spoiler[a predominantly Yamada/Nomiya episode, where Nomiya had to drive nine hours from Tottori to Tokyo and back again, just to catch up with Yamada. Blindingly sweet of the guy, I'd say, underscoring how deeply he fell for Ayu.] On the flip side, episode 4 is spoiler[the Mayama/Rika climax episode. The scene where Mayama catches Rika trying to leave him in the hotel in the morning and subsequently pouring out 27 episodes worth of emotion completely flattened me the first time I saw it.] I can't really separate these two episodes, considering that they provide something of a resolution to my favorite set of relationships in the show. That they come one after the other also aids in my penchant for re-watching them over and over again. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Also, the second episode of the Genshiken OVA. spoiler[It's where Madarame gets convinced to shop for clothes by Saki. The first half of the episode, where he tries to go shopping, fails, and runs to an arcade is pretty funny. Towards the ending, in the sushi bar scene, there's a sense of wistful melancholy as we get a glimpse into Madarame's unrequited feelings for Saki in a set of scenes that almost feels right at home in Honey and Clover.]
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Ouran episode 10 love, yeah! I agree that it's a classic, for exactly the same reasons. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, spoiler[that's the episode where Tamaki is growing mushrooms in the closet while being casually abused by Ranka. The "mushroom room" label is something that I've really wanted to place on my room's door for a while.]

Correct. Also another part of the episode that I loved were the spoiler[careful observations made by Kaoru and Hikaru regarding Ranka-san's affection for Haruhi being much like Tamaki's]. The artwork for that particular scene was very cute. Plus Ranka-san's voice acting was a good performance.

kizzmequik_74 wrote:
On the subject of Honey and Clover: as with abunai, it's probably one of my all-time favorites. But the classic episodes for me are actually episodes 3 and 4 of the second season. Episode 3 being spoiler[a predominantly Yamada/Nomiya episode, where Nomiya had to drive nine hours from Tottori to Tokyo and back again, just to catch up with Yamada. Blindingly sweet of the guy, I'd say, underscoring how deeply he fell for Ayu.] On the flip side, episode 4 is spoiler[the Mayama/Rika climax episode. The scene where Mayama catches Rika trying to leave him in the hotel in the morning and subsequently pouring out 27 episodes worth of emotion completely flattened me the first time I saw it.] I can't really separate these two episodes, considering that they provide something of a resolution to my favorite set of relationships in the show. That they come one after the other also aids in my penchant for re-watching them over and over again. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I enjoyed those episodes too, and as for Honey & Clover I'm only on episode 7 of the second season. Though its nice to have spoiler[Yamada move on from Mayama her portrayal in the second season seems......very childish (at least up to the point where I am in the series, well aside from episode 6)].
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
I enjoyed those episodes too, and as for Honey & Clover I'm only on episode 7 of the second season. Though its nice to have spoiler[Yamada move on from Mayama her portrayal in the second season seems......very childish (at least up to the point where I am in the series, well aside from episode 6)].

Well, there is a reason for that. You have to remember that Yamada spoiler[is very young, compared to many of the other characters in the second season (which focuses much less on the events in the college, and more on the "real world" full of grown-ups). It's easy to forget, because many of the character designs have the characters looking all the same age, but there are significant age differences involved, and this is reflected in Yamada's comparative lack of maturity. Furthermore, Yamada is, for a long time, stuck in an infantile pattern, unwilling to give up on her crush on Mayama, and in many ways immature. It would be quite reasonable for the anime to display this.]

- abunai
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

Well, there is a reason for that. You have to remember that Yamada spoiler[is very young, compared to many of the other characters in the second season (which focuses much less on the events in the college, and more on the "real world" full of grown-ups). It's easy to forget, because many of the character designs have the characters looking all the same age, but there are significant age differences involved, and this is reflected in Yamada's comparative lack of maturity. Furthermore, Yamada is, for a long time, stuck in an infantile pattern, unwilling to give up on her crush on Mayama, and in many ways immature. It would be quite reasonable for the anime to display this.]

- abunai

Hmm I know, its just that Yamada seemed to be a much stronger person in the first season. Well I guess its because spoiler[you see more Yamada taking her frustration out on Morita (those moments were entertaining)]. Also I just noticed this but Hagu looks like an entirely different character in episode 6.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
The first 'classic' episode that leaped to my mind is #13 of "His and Hers Circumstances", dealing with Tsubasa meeting her father's girlfriend and her son. Although it's a side story to the main plot, it's self-contained in the one episode and is a compactly assembled and well-paced story, and it makes good use of the visual style of the series. Two cuts that I chuckle at every time I watch it are the exterior shot at the end of the restaurant scene, and a couple scenes later, Tsubasa venting some anger on a parked car.

"Ruroni Kenshin" #12, "Birth of a Boy Swordsman" is the episode of that series that I most often rewatch. Partly it's because I enjoy the character of Yahiko, and this is an episode that features him, but also because it's one of the few episodes where the villains are mere humans, not the freak-of-the-week that the Battousai is usually up against. The events of the plot give Kenshin a chance to spoiler[offer a distilled version of the philosophy of Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu, and shows Yahiko developing from street rat into a fighter worthy of following in Kenshin's footsteps].

Another classic (for me, at least) is episode 24 of "Evangelion". This one is classic (as defined by the OP) in the sense of being most memorable, as it's the finale of the main plot of the tv series. Unlike the other two, you have to have watched the series to follow it, it's not a stand-alone episode. The various plotlines converge, spoiler[plans are laid bare, Shinji is under maximum stress.... and Kaworu appears. For someone who appears so late in the game, Kaworu's impact is nothing short of momentous].

For a more recent example, #5 of "Beck" is a favorite. Koyuki is asked by Saito to perform at a town festival, Maho shows up, and good music and interesting plotlines are on hand, setting up relationships for much of the rest of the series. Songs 'Follow Me' and 'Moon on the Water' both feature in their entirety in this episode. The episode almost works as a standalone to boot.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Sam-I-Am, would you please use spoiler tags. While I'm not personally interested in the series that you've named, others might be.

Thank you.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Aha and another quick add to Ouran ep 10 spoiler[I was really about to burst when everyone was huddled around "tucking in their legs" for lack of room in the apartment.]

FLCL, really for me the entire anime is amazing but episode 4 knocks me over it's so good. spoiler[ All the humor with the baseball game is such a good setup and I love watching Amarao talk to Naota about hitting his "dad" with the bat. The way the conversation plays out just really sticks out to me. But finally in the end, when the "satellite" glove throws the bomb at the city, I get literal goosebumps everytime that scene hits. I really feel the end of the anime is very much an extension of what Naota started here and I am amazed at this scene still after viewing it half a dozen times.]

In Bebop(Not sure on ep #'s here) spoiler[ the episode with the young video of Faye is so over the top touching I almost can't stand it. From watching Spike kick in the guy's old VCR to the eventual watching of the video, there isn't much more of a perfect episode here that I love. Exxceeeeeeeept, maybe Pierrot le Fou. Watching this visceral child like animal tear into Spike is a rush. The anime almost becomes a horror for some of this episode. The story arcs(Spike, Vicious, Maria) while not weak, are not the reason I really enjoy Cowboy Bebop.]
DClark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
I'd have to nominate episode 16 (titled 'Dead Calm/Busy Doing Nothing') of Ergo Proxy.

The interaction between the main characters was excellent, Pino is just plain adorable in it, and it marks a turning point for Re-l's character development.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3