• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are there any anime made for girls...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaraFilipa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
... that aren't girly nor overly romantic?

I've been browsing through my anime collection and I have noticed that most anime I have watched appear to be meant for a masculine audience mostly. They all seem to have a bunch of cute girls, and, in the middle, there's one or two plain guys that are just "meh", whose background is not properly shown and they just seem to be there for the sake of the story. I am ashamed to watch some of my favourite series (such as Elfen Lied, Haruhi Suzumiya or Tenchi Muyo, for example) in front of my friends or family, because they always throw weird looks at me.

But, on the other side, I'm not fond of magical girl anime, or anime where there is this princess who did this and that... Because, while these are for girls, they do not appeal to me at all.

So, without sounding too superficial, can you mention to me any anime with, well, cute guys to look at (or at least with girls that can keep their cleavages to themselves); a good background story; and it is not all lovey-dovey. I'm into psychological, mystery, and thought-provoking anime but that's already asking too much I guess.

*Sorry for my english.*

Edit: Thanks in advance.

[EDIT: Fixed animes -> anime -- it's one of those singular/plural words. ~Zalis]
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ever seen or read Fruits Basket? It's probably the most popuar shoujo manga in America. A lot of people describe it as a "reverse harem" since it's a girl living with multiple guys instead of the other way around. It isn't too overly girly either, it can actually appeal to males too. There's also little to no fanservice, at least on the female side. And yes, it does have plenty of guys to look at.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Though this is a recommendation thread I don't think this type of request has ever been made.

As for a girly yet non-overly romantic anime that I can suggest or mention would be Ouran Highschool Host Club. Like Fruits Basket it can be considered a reverse harem but the romance aspect of it isn't in a lot of focus. From what I remember romance was only brought up in the main characters for about 3 episodes or so. I'm a guy but I enjoyed the show and don't worry, there aren't any girls (including the main girl) that show cleavage or anything of the sort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
what about Lucky Star, it seems to do well with both sexes. no fanservice at all and a good story line to go with it.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Given your criteria, I think you might enjoy Ghost Hunt. The ladies in my anime viewing group (and comments from some in the forums) seemed to find the males in the series reasonably attractive. The females in the series are not simply eye candy - they will show courage in a pinch without turning into action heroines, and act with reasonable intelligence for the most part. There is a bit of romantic tension between the male and female leads, but it is mostly kept in the background and remains low key.
anime#6817

EDIT - AHHH! How can I forget Nodame Cantabile! It is a romance, but that is only one part of a very excellent series. Highly recommended if you enjoy classical music.
anime#7010
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know that it's necessarily "made for girls," but I'd definitely recommend that you check out Haibane Renmei. It has an almost-all-female cast and is largely centered around the (non-romantic) relationships between them. There's also a good deal of mystery and introspection surrounding the nature of the characters themselves, which should fulfill your thought-provoking side. I feel like I'm not able to describe the series in a way that would do it justice, other than to say that I found it to be a beautifully emotional work that moved me deeply.

(And this is coming from a guy, if that makes any difference. Razz)
Skys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
First of all, make sure you check out this link. It contains many useful links when one is looking to find some new anime to watch.

Now, for some of my recommendations. First, I would recommend Honey and Clover. It is a great slice of life show that was made for a female audience. As for some psychological and thought provoking shows that I really enjoy, check out Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei. Both are great shows that really gets one's mind going. Another show that I have been watching recently is Ghost Hound. It is something of a psychological mystery that I think you might enjoy.

While I am not sure those shows above are filled with cute guys, one show that is (At least I think it is, but what do I know, I'm a guy myself) that I would recommend is Ouran High School Host Club. It is just a fun show to watch.

Finally, here is the direct link to the philosophical/psychological recommendation thread if you are interested. Hope you find something you enjoy.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Without a doubt, Ouran High School Host Club. It is an inverted harem in which a girl is literally sorrounded by a load of bishies and more importantly it is a very amusing comedy that mocks the harem harem along with so many things. The animation is gorgeous and the situations are genuinely funny.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
All Noitamina titles (you should have mentioned it, Furudanuki) are made for young female adult demography and are not too "girly" or overly romantic as you specified. Well, Hakaba Kitarō isn't exclusively made for girls though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Twelve Kingdoms

deep story, good overall series; one I would recommend to any female Anime fan (and even alot of males too)
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
In addition to seconding the recommendations for Haibane Renmei and The Twelve Kingdoms, I'll put forward a recommendation for Earth Girl Arjuna. It's technically a magical girl series, but the main character is about as plain as you can get, and the whole show doesn't feel like stereotypical magical girl at all; it's really dreamy and introspective, although there are some decent action parts too. It's one of those 'not for everyone' series (some might find it a bit boring, and the environmental theme makes you want to punch certain characters in the face occasionally), but the romance is very low key, and it's just beautiful to look at.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Master Lee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
I second (or third) the recommendations of Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, and Lucky Star.

All three titles were rather ambiguous in that they didn't seem to be geared primarily for one gender or the other.

If you want something with some thought and emotion involved that isnt too manly or girly, I'd check out Kino's Journey and / or Haibane Renmei. Both seemed mostly focused on character developments and philosophical aspects. The environments involved were also quite impressive.

Lucky Star is good if you're looking for something more amusing and relaxing.

Just figured I'd cash in my two cents...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
what about Lucky Star, it seems to do well with both sexes. no fanservice at all and a good story line to go with it.

Lucky Star I believe is actually geared towards male anime fans, but since there's nothing in there that objectifies women and very minimal to no fanservice, it could be something that can be viewed by males and females alike. My sister enjoys this series a lot, now that I think about it.
SaraFilipa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote
Thanks everybody. Smile

Fruits Basket - No, I haven't watched it, but I have always heard/read good things about it, I'm definitely going to check it out, thanks. Wink

Ouran Highschool Host Club - Wow, thank you, people have recommended it before but for some reason I forgot... ^^' It's on my to-watch list, thanks.

Lucky Star - I've heard it's an awesome anime. I've been put off because of the animation style (I'm not too fond of chibi-characters), but then again, I like Shin-Chan. Thanks.

Ghost Hunt - I have watched it, and I loved it, I can only recomment it as well. You're right, it fits my request. Wink

Nodame Cantabile - It sounds definitely interesting. The rating is really high and the plot sounds good, I'm probably going to enjoy the series, thank you.

Honey and Clover II, Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei - Oh awesome, all of these look really promising. I can't wait to watch these! =D
And thanks a lot afor the link, that's my favourite genre. Very Happy

All those Noitamina titles - *.* It sounds really great, I'll check all of these out.

Twelve Kingdoms - I have watched it years ago, and I remember bits of it, and remember liking it... I may give it another chance.

Earth Girl Arjuna - I've never heard about this one, but it sounds interesting, thanks.

Wow, it's going to take me a couple of years to watch all of these. Thanks for the quick answers. Very Happy
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
SaraFilipa wrote:

So, without sounding too superficial, can you mention to me any anime with, well, cute guys to look at (or at least with girls that can keep their cleavages to themselves); a good background story; and it is not all lovey-dovey. I'm into psychological, mystery, and thought-provoking animes but that's already asking too much I guess.

I can recommend watching:

Revolutionary Girl Utena it is not a new series but I think it should measure up to your expectations if you look for psychological and thought-provoking.

If you don't mind watching old series I recommend The Rose of Versailles It has one of the best female lead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2