• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why I am holding off buying anime (blu-ray)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I am holding off buying anime series such as

Gankutsuou
Basilisk

these anime are in widescreen format and could easily be transfered on to blu-ray.

I do not buy anything which is not on Hidef currently and rest I rent through netflix.

Hope they start to release series on Blu-ray in future.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't.

I don't want to shell out for a brand new format with a difference in quality that is basically irrelevant to me...hell I didn't care when VHS went to DVD quality wise.

I just hope like hell that for practically all eternity blu-ray players will be reverse compatible with DVD.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I hope they don't.

I don't want to shell out for a brand new format with a difference in quality that is basically irrelevant to me...hell I didn't care when VHS went to DVD quality wise.

I just hope like hell that for practically all eternity blu-ray players will be reverse compatible with DVD.

Yup agree with you in this idea. I hope they will not try to release everything in brand new format cause with changes sometimes it's not compatible with regular dvd player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zewerr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I can't really even see anime looking much better in high definition, unless it has alot of CGI implemented into it or is of movie quality. Most TV series, the backgrounds and animation is so simple, I don't think there will be much of a difference. Though I just bought my first Hi Def TV, and will be getting a Blu-Ray player in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
It is up to you if you want to buy a series again or not. I don't think anyone will do a high definition exclusive (unless you count dual layer Freedom) for many years to come. There might be a few director cut editions with more extrsas of catalog titles (like Yukikaze) but for the most you will not be "forced" to go Blu-ray.

I actually find the justification for double dipping for Blu-ray easier than buying a remastered edition on standard definition. Many older titles can really use an overhaul and are sub standard DVD in quality and would indeed look good in high definition. Despite this I have bought many of the Remix and 5.1 editions of DVDs because in some cases (especially Eva) the original transfer was really poor.

Gankutsuou from Geneon looks fantastic on standard definition although with all of it's odd textures and details does make a good candidate for high definition. Basilisk by FUNimation in my opinion is one of the worst looking DVD transfers in recent times and I would even consider buying a remastered standard definition version since it suffers from really splotchy looking dark scenes.

The difference between high definition and standard definition will also be relative compared to how well your scaler and deinterlacer handles standard definition DVDs. If you have a sizable standard definition collection I will highly recommend Oppo's newest DVD player which uses the ABT102 chip for deinterlacing. I have been using the ABT102 card in my VP30 for the past year and will say that it is amazing. While I understand that $2500 MSRP is a bit steep for the VP30 the Oppo is a real bargain. Of course I find the VP30 worth it since you can do some major tweaking when it comes to aspect ratios and overscan. I'm not holding my breath on Blu-ray editions so I will collect the current DVD versions for now.

It is interesting to note that the new Appleseed movie is selling much better in Blu-ray compared to standard DVD at amazon.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't even own any sort of high definition player, so the issue is moot to me right now. If and when I buy that PS3, then I might get something on blu-ray but I'm not going to desperately search to switch out everything in my collection. I did that some with VHS to DVD already.

It's expensive and annoying. If they release a really kick-butt blu-ray exclusive, sure why not if I've got something that will play it but I just can't see myself running out to get high def anime when, in my opinion, the difference between DVD and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is really minimal for titles that aren't high definition to begin with. (I'm very far from being a videophile.)
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
genea wrote:
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I am holding off buying anime series such as

Gankutsuou
Basilisk

these anime are in widescreen format and could easily be transfered on to blu-ray.

I do not buy anything which is not on Hidef currently and rest I rent through netflix.

Hope they start to release series on Blu-ray in future.

Just because it's widescreen does not mean it's HD, Bandai Visual's release of Yukikaze is a perfect example of that. And Randall Miyashiro's post is 100% correct.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Just because it's widescreen does not mean it's HD, Bandai Visual's release of Yukikaze is a perfect example of that. And Randall Miyashiro's post is 100% correct.

Was just about to type those words out myself. Generally I've found that with some rare exceptions (like Code Geass) if a show wasn't actually broadcast in high definition, it wasn't produced in high definition. For series like Gankutsuou, you're likely not going to see any benefits in a Blu-Ray edition, since Geneon's visual quality on regular DVD format tend to be so good.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Was just about to type those words out myself. Generally I've found that with some rare exceptions (like Code Geass) if a show wasn't actually broadcast in high definition, it wasn't produced in high definition. For series like Gankutsuou, you're likely not going to see any benefits in a Blu-Ray edition, since Geneon's visual quality on regular DVD format tend to be so good.

Yeah that is true that some of the series broadcast in high definition aren't always produced in HD (it depends more on the production studios and budget). Personally I think Gankutsuou would love excellent in HD (assuming it has an HD master) because of the detail in the characters' clothing and a lot of the backgrounds use CGI.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This thought just came to my head but with the addage of more storage space on Blu-Ray discs as compared to DVDs (I believe Blu-Ray is 4-10 times larger in capacity) will that effect volume sales? I mean lets face all that extra storage space will mean fewer discs for box sets right? Because I will feel sorely ripped off with all that empty storage space. Especially if I only get 3-5 episodes with basically crap extra features.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
If you don't want to get Blu-ray right now, I don't see why that should be an issue. I personally am going to hold off on blu-ray until it becomes absolutely necessary, which hopefully won't be for a while. While this seems to be great for DVD picture quality, I'm sure it still is a bit on the extreme for the budget, unless you have a well paying job.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we get a huge 480i episode count on a single Blu-ray. Historically when a new format has been introduced people have sided with minimizing compression and taking full us of the new codes instead of cramming more episodes. This is why outside of bootlegs it's really rare to find DVDs with more than 6 episodes on a disc. I have actually seen a bootleg with over 30 episodes crammed (in what looked like VCD quality) onto one DVD.

Even though you can store a ton of lower bit rate episodes on a Blu-ray disc most people will opt for the quality since the key selling factor for Blu-ray is the high AQ and PQ quality not a lower disc count. My season three of Rescue Me still takes four Blu-ray discs while Heroes and Battlestar take 7 and 6 HD-DVDs. Even some movies like the Pirates films take 2 Blu-ray discs.

I still find it amazing how many PC games actually still ship as a stack of CDs instead of one DVD. I guess the fractional percentage of the market without DVD drives justify the production of a stack of CDs, unless it costs more to produce one DVD which doesn't sound right.

I find it ridiculous that Air and Yukikaze are taken from 480 video masters and just upscaled. There is a several year window where anime was scanned into the computer to be colored and processed in standard definition, and sadly these never existed as painted cells or 16mm prints. Thankfully most of these early 2000 shows did get fairly nice video masters and look pretty good on standard definition. I would imagine that the transfer process would be a simple pixel to pixel process and you won't get much more out of a upscaled version especially if you are using a good scaler and deinterlacer. As I mention above just a year ago it would have cost between $1500-$3000 for a good scaler, but fortunately Oppo has once again brought the price down to a more affordable price for A/V hobbyist.

On the other hand most 90s and older shows have horrible non-digital video masters. Many of these titles never got newer masters (the awful Southern Cross DVDs, Nadesco, Silent Mobius TV, and even the recently released Cybuster come to mind) and look awful on DVD. The contrast levels just are awful with darker portions of the image lacking detail and whites looking a dingy brown. If you look at the Bublegum Crisis remasters and Megazone 23 you can see just how amazing these older series can actually look (even on standard DVD) if they are remastered.

Fortunately most of these pre-computer assisted shows still exist in very high resolution 16mm negatives and many of them recently are getting the royal HD transfer treatment in Japan. Macross just got a new HD transfer this year, and I would love to see it (but like the original poster have been holding off since I think this one will be released on Blu-ray soon) especially since I wasn't too impressed with ADV's remastered edition.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Randall, I have to ask since you seem to have quite a bit of extensive knowledge in this field. Are you in retail?
DClark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I actually find the justification for double dipping for Blu-ray easier than buying a remastered edition on standard definition. Many older titles can really use an overhaul and are sub standard DVD in quality and would indeed look good in high definition. Despite this I have bought many of the Remix and 5.1 editions of DVDs because in some cases (especially Eva) the original transfer was really poor.

That's one thing I noticed with my HD DVD player; I bought two HD DVDs of movies that I already own in DVD, and feel I only got good value for my purchase on one of them. The Blade Runner HD DVD is visually impressive, in part because my DVD version (the director's cut version with the old cardboard and plastic case) isn't very good. I bought Batman Begins and while it's a very good looking movie, the DVD transfer looks excellent upscaled (I have a 37" 1366x768 LCD HDTV) so the difference in visual quality wasn't as apparent. Because of that I don't feel I got my money's worth on that purchase.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The difference between high definition and standard definition will also be relative compared to how well your scaler and deinterlacer handles standard definition DVDs. If you have a sizable standard definition collection I will highly recommend Oppo's newest DVD player which uses the ABT102 chip for deinterlacing. I have been using the ABT102 card in my VP30 for the past year and will say that it is amazing. While I understand that $2500 MSRP is a bit steep for the VP30 the Oppo is a real bargain. Of course I find the VP30 worth it since you can do some major tweaking when it comes to aspect ratios and overscan. I'm not holding my breath on Blu-ray editions so I will collect the current DVD versions for now.

I bought the Toshiba HD-A3 mainly for its upscaling abilities and I'm very happy with it; with the demise of HD DVD, Toshiba's HD DVD players are selling dirt cheap so they're a great bargain for those who want a good upscaling DVD player, plus they come with a couple movies so you can check out the difference between DVD and HD media. Just note that they only upscale over HDMI while some other upscalers (either by default or by inputting a special code) are able to upscale over component.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
ADV has said they'll be releasing on Blu-Ray in the future. Even though it won't affect me for awhile, I do hope that more anime gets released in high-definition. If nothing else, it will take some ammunition away from people who say, "Why should I buy 480i DVDs when I can get 720p HDTV fansubs for free?" (I mean, it's reached the point where people not only decline to buy DVDs, they don't even DL DVD-rips because of the resolution issue.)

But I don't intend to "go blue" for awhile. I can see some, but not a lot of difference between SD and HD fansubs on my monitor, so I don't see an immediate advantage in quality. And I doubt that the situation would be any difference on my 27" flatscreen CRT TV that I bought back in 2003 when "high-definition" was practically a science fiction term. So until I can reasonably afford a next-gen TV and a Blu-Ray player, standard DVDs are good enough for me. VHS -> DVD represented a far greater format change in my mind. VHS didn't allow multiple audio or subtitle tracks, didn't allow for very many extras (aside from maybe a "stay tuned after the feature for ____") and was far more bulky and inconvenient than DVD. I don't remember any portable VHS players that you could take in the car or on a plane, anyway. And those changes came along with an improvement in A/V quality. But with DVD -> Blu-Ray, the only major improvement that I know of is the increase in resolution and A/V quality. I don't know of any inherent qualities or features that BD has that DVD doesn't, and that's why I'm not going to rush out to re-buy my anime collection on BD. Besides, the plans are to start with the new releases on BD and then do the back catalogue, so the rebuying pressure is a long ways off. Maybe if the industry is still around in 10 years, I'll be able to say, "Whoa, ADV is releasing Azumanga Daioh on Blu-Ray? I remember getting that back in '06 on the oldschool normal DVDs."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4