• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[adult swim] rethinking anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
yes i know we've had these conspiracy theories before, but this time it actually appears to be true. just check out the new schedule:

http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/schedule/tools/img/sched_013008.jpg

not only are there comedy "premieres", but everything has been shoved all the way to the back lineup. given how bad the recent ratings have been, this really does seem to be a move to stomp out anime for good.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I was enjoying the current schedule.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well this disappointing. The Sat. schedule changed for one month and already changing back? Premires staring at 12:30? I was rather enjoying re-watching Samurai Champloo too. God, if they aren't going to show anime at a decent hour, then why even show them at all. Or go ahead and make Sat. all comedy too, and move the premires to Friday at 11pm if anime sucks so bad.

I was liking the way things were because I don't have to stay up so late. And with Bleach coming on first, it was a great way to start the night, not mention end the day.

On another note I hope people weren't watching Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal, or Big O for the first time, because they didn't just get moved, they got taken off.
Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
This sounded worrisome at first but when I checked the schedules more carefully I think there's no need for alarm. This probably mainly happened because two currently-running series are about to end, namely Eureka 7 and Shin Chan (either that or the f@^k&d-up Funimation version of Shin Chan is unpopular, either way I don't care). Fullmetal and Champloo were moved over to replace to replace those shows and that freed up two timeslots on Saturdays.

Possibly when Code Geass and whatever new stuff comes out this year it will return back to the way it was.

edit: Oh yeah dargonxtc is right Big O is gone too, so that might not be so good oh well. Also he/she made a good point about the later timeslots being less desirable.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm generally up the whole time anyway, but this is still pretty annoying. I had been watching Big O. I really like the show, but for whatever reason I feel absolutely no desire whatsoever to own it.

And what's with Cowboy Bebop starting at episode 12? And do we really need another FMA weekday run? I am so sick of that show.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
As for the schedule changes, damn, now I've got to reset my recording times again. I really wish they'd stop that. Mad
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
As for the schedule changes, damn, now I've got to reset my recording times again. I really wish they'd stop that. Mad

I agree. It's a pain to keep changing! Now I'm going to have to go check my equipment and make sure it's correct. Crying or Very sad
freezespell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that this incarnation of the all-anime Saturday block was so big of a flop that they couldn't keep the 13-week plan intact for even half that time. Oh well, at least Bleach, Blood+, and Death Note are still on, albeit at a later time. I also checked the rest of the schedule and as much as I shouldn't be "complaining" about this, I need to let it out: how the hell is Inuyasha still on the lineup? It must be their highest rated anime series or something and FLCL must have some "cult following" for adult swim to air it for the next three months. What I would have done with FLCL was merge all the episodes and make it a real OVA movie, a la Afro Samurai. In short, Inuyasha is being beat like a dead horse (or dog) and FLCL needs to be redubbed. F%#*ing Star Child. You know you're supposed to flip the naming order when translating to English, but that's just me.
cool3865

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
apprently they love FLCL and Inuyasha, i still cant belive that is going.......
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
I can't tell if that was a troll or not, but I'll bite either way.

FLCL has a fantastic dub, and that's such a petty complaint it's laughable. THE DUB IS BAD BECAUSE I DONT LIKE HOW THEY SAY THE NAMES. Geeze.

And I doubt it'll be on for the next three months, but who knows, maybe it really does get ratings. I think the majority of us can at least agree that it deserves them moreso than Inuyasha. And I like Inuyasha...but c'mon.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
If they want to know why some anime fans don't like to watch their channel, in my case it'd have to do with their horrendous advertisements for their other garbage.

Sadly of course, it wouldn't matter if I was or wasn't watching since we don't have a set meter.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
And people wonder why anime fans resent [adult swim]. Yeah, it might have something to do with this.

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the ratings sucked. Anime fans have this really weird habit of neither watching nor buying anime. (At least not from any official source that helps to make more anime.)

So I have a question: I've read good things about the ratings for Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday block, so why is it doing so much better than anime on [adult swim]'s anime block?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

So I have a question: I've read good things about the ratings for Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday block, so why is it doing so much better than anime on [adult swim]'s anime block?

Probably because when they put a series in a time slot...IT STAYS THERE!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
And people wonder why anime fans resent [adult swim]. Yeah, it might have something to do with this.

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the ratings sucked. Anime fans have this really weird habit of neither watching nor buying anime. (At least not from any official source that helps to make more anime.)

most people are home on monday-tuesday night. this is why the Boondocks does well. also contrary to popular belief, people are getting sick of community staples, like Bleach and Death Note. it's 99 all over again.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
You are aware that Death Note isn't very old, and is still in the process of being aired for the first time?

I don't know what Adult Swim's deal is. Last week, Big O was the no.1 rated show on saturday. Sure, it's ratings were pitiful, but they were better than the other pitiful ratings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8