• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KONOSUBA - God's blessing on this wonderful world! 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Imagine the scene had been reversed, that Kazuma had been pantsed and the girls stood there laughing at him while his face got redder and redder. No amount of "but its ok in a medieval setting!" Or "its culturally acceptable humor in modern day Japan" would take away from the cruelty of that scene to someone who's sensitive to it (either because they've experienced something similar themselves, or because it's their worst nightmare).

spoiler[Kazuma get's a water spout in the butt] in the ova and it was hilarious.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Imagine the scene had been reversed, that Kazuma had been pantsed and the girls stood there laughing at him while his face got redder and redder. No amount of "but its ok in a medieval setting!" Or "its culturally acceptable humor in modern day Japan" would take away from the cruelty of that scene to someone who's sensitive to it (either because they've experienced something similar themselves, or because it's their worst nightmare).

Oh, I don't dispute that it's cruel, but it's still funny (and would be in the reverse situation, too). That Kazuma is being an ass about it is art of the joke, too. This series has always trafficked in making cruel fun of its characters; in fact, it showed much more sympathy towards the lich in this most recent episode than to any of its recurring cast.

Yeah, liches, by far, have been the most sympathetic characters of the show so far. Smile
My point in going so far to explain that particular scene's impact was two-fold: to explain why sexual humiliation is more disturbing than financial thievery, and therefore Kazuma's actions towards Chris weren't entirely justified by her behavior toward him; because NPC was arguing that Kazuma's a decent guy and everything he's done has been entirely justifiable, and to explain how cruel humor can cross the line to the individual, and that's a legitimate response and not someone being "too sensitive." I wanted to gender-reverse the situation because that scene was extremely gendered and would likely have a different impact on women than on men. Men's underwear is simply not as sexualised as women's, and men's bodies can withstand more objectifying for humor or even prurient purposes without being cruel.

TL;DR Humor walks the tightrope between "cruel" and "funny" all the time, and it's worth exploring, even if your personal boundary is different from some else's.
Ambulator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Quoque tu wrote:
All the team's belongings have been confiscated until they repay their debts. That included Megumin's upgraded staff.

Ooh, that makes sense. I never considered they could be so cruel.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say Aqua's behavior in this ep was by far the most goddess-like I've seen of her since ep 1. You can feel like she was sincerely cared for the lich and even the corpse they passed. Even Kazuma admitted it...and then the undead happens...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I wanted to gender-reverse the situation because that scene was extremely gendered and would likely have a different impact on women than on men. Men's underwear is simply not as sexualised as women's, and men's bodies can withstand more objectifying for humor or even prurient purposes without being cruel.

Anime is LITTERED with examples of the exact reverse played for laughs in entirely the same way. I'm not saying that that makes Kazuma a "good guy", but there's PLENTY of examples of guys losing their pants and freaking out when girls suddenly get a good view of "the goods". (and I'm not referring to the times where the girl freaks out also) I guess you can argue that girls don't usually "have fun" with men's underwear, but I would say that's more a function that men's underwear is practically NEVER presented as something anyone would ever WANT to hold. (ie. it is often seen as "disgusting" rather than "sexy" or appealing)

EDIT: this is a personal favorite (technically, no one sees anything, but then no one seese anything with Chris either) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKBbiQn_Ilg
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
there seemed to ahve been a fight so sorry if someone already mentioned it alrady, but I found it fun that they remade the masturbation joke from the manga.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4,

This episode had me straight out laughing, everything from the music choices to the expressions on everyone's faces (mainly Kazuma).

I really love the Kazuma darkness combo, pervert vs pervert. I personally would like to see them as a couple just because of the interactions between them. The fact that Darkness's description of her ideal man (a worthless pervert) is pretty much Kazuma in a nutshell gives me hope for the future
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Oh man, the scene where Aqua summons a bunch of koi fish for absolutely no reason had me crying with laughter.
And I agree, the Kazuma/Darkness dynamic works surprisingly well, probably because of the way they happily take the piss out of each other.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kazuma and Darkness: Get A Room! Man, she wants you! Kazuma's just a few steps above Darkness' description of her ideal man (which is a good thing--I doubt she *really* wants an alcoholic who'll force her into prostitution for cash. At least, I hope not!)
That fight was amazing. You could tell that Kazuma stopped caring that people were watching and that he was supposed to be playing a role as "proper" butler--he just really got into to it and gave as good as he got. They have a great, if completely warped, dynamic when they both let their guard down and get down and dirty. Or rather, when Kazuma let's his guard down--it's hard to tell if Darkness ever has her guard up this episode!
Then she went above and beyond simply getting out of an unwanted arranged marriage--Walther was already going to concede the point--by claiming to be pregnant with Kazuma's baby! Loved her dad's reaction. I was expecting a stereotypical angry "marry my daughter or else!" Shotgun wedding preparations and all, but no, he was happy about it! So happy that he completely missed Kazuma loudly proclaiming that the pregnancy was impossible because he's a virgin. Welp, they're going to have to fix that, because the guy is expecting a grandbaby in a few months. Very Happy

This was definitely the best Darkness-focused episode, and in my opinion, the best ep this season thus far. I've been thinking since the (similarly amazing) succubus episode that Darkness and Kazuma would actually make a great couple, but Kazuma always seems a little weirded out by her. This episode made me ship em harder, so I hope they can get closer on a more emotional level as well as their obvious physical chemistry. Better love story than Re:Zero! (*cough* I love Re:Zero, but both Rem~Subaru and Subaru~Emilia are a bit one sided. Here I see a spark on both sides, so it's more fun to watch).
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I've been thinking since the (similarly amazing) succubus episode that Darkness and Kazuma would actually make a great couple, but Kazuma always seems a little weirded out by her. This episode made me ship em harder, so I hope they can get closer on a more emotional level as well as their obvious physical chemistry. Better love story than Re:Zero! (*cough* I love Re:Zero, but both Rem~Subaru and Subaru~Emilia are a bit one sided. Here I see a spark on both sides, so it's more fun to watch).

I think this is one of the real charming things about KonoSuba over a lot of other anime; particularly in this subgenre. The chemistry between Kazuma and the girls is real, and you can easily see him having a great dynamic with all three of the leads (yes even Aqua, though it wouldn't necessarily be romantic), as well as many of the side characters, due to how effortlessly the original author has written them.

It's extremely impressive and part of what makes the series so great in my eyes.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I always feel a little bad laughing so hard at this series but man if it doesn't tick all the boxes in my blackened heart. In short as I've remarked to friends about the first six chapters of Kodomo no JIkan the only laughter in KonoSuba is nervous laughter.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Oh man, the scene where Aqua summons a bunch of koi fish for absolutely no reason had me crying with laughter.

Love that Kazuma acted incredibly impressed by it too and was all gung oh about learning that technique, especially since he can use his skill point to actually learn the technique.

Yeah, great episode, poor Megumi getting sideline two episode in a row thought, but seems like she'll be important for next week.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Might be just me but this episode made me realize Kazuma has a much better chemistry with Darkness out of all the girls. Like they're really made for each other.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Kazuma has a good dynamic with all the women on their team, but I'd argue that he has the best sexual chemistry with Darkness, and the most adversarial relationship with Aqua, who seems to annoy him the most. Megumin and Kazuma have a better relationship and understanding than he and Aqua, but he perceives her as younger, so if he's attracted to her, he's suppressing it. He and Darkness are around the same age and definitely attracted to each other--even though he's a bit freaked out by her...masochistic assertiveness. If she tones it down a notch and they get to know one another a bit better on an emotional level, I could see them really hitting it off. Their biggest impediment is the limitation of the genre-can't have MC-kun pairing off with one girl if you want to maintain the harem aspect of the series (especially if she's not seen as the "main heroine" by the audience, and unfortunately, Aqua's probably got that status). So is the author willing to subvert tropes for more than just humor purposes, I can see it happening. Probably not in the anime, unfortunately, but maybe somewhere down the line in the novels?
NPC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Lets be fair, Chris is the one who was spreading rumours of Kazuma.

Nah, let's be fair - they all do it. For example, their attempt to protect him when Sena first appeared. Megumin: "he commits just minor crimes, like sexual harassment", Darkness: "he ogles me but too spineless to do anything", Aqua: "what did you do this time?" Megumin blackmailing Kazuna to accept her in group. Her description of their relationship to Yunyun. Aqua extorting money from him with talk about "rustling". Aqua sitting in cage in the town singing a song about being sold. Darkness turns anything into harassment. They do it in public all the time. It is a recurring joke.

Chris actually did it just once, at bar immediately after the incident as a (rather nasty) payback for bet loss. Otherwise she looks like a nice character.

Agent355 wrote:
huh? That's not equivalent, either!

See, "tit-for-tat for attempted robbery" was your interpretation of situation, not mine. I would say it was a fraud, bait-and-switch variety. There are countries that cut hand for tricks like that right now. And we are talking about medieval society.

Quote:
But being sexually humiliated by a member of the opposite sex in front of strangers (even just a couple of strangers) would definitely be a more traumatizing experience for most people.

Nope. She did nothing wrong, her modesty was intact, there were no witnesses, absolutely nothing linked her to these particular panties. So there was no reason for such reaction. Her reaction was part of the joke.

What did horribly traumatized Chris immediately after? She went to guild building and told the story to everyone there. This is what traumatized teenagers do, they want to yell from the roof tops so that everyone was aware of their humiliation. Right.

Quote:
No amount of "but its ok in a medieval setting!" Or "its culturally acceptable humor in modern day Japan" would take away

The point is, this anime is made for different, very limited, auditory in completely different country. It is based on LN. If you can't accept that there are people in the world with slightly different cultural background, tastes and humor you probably should stick to watching Simpsons and Family Guy (I have nothing against either of them).

You guys supposed to be tolerant to different views and cultures, melting pot and everything. It appears you want everything that doesn't match you views exactly just burned and disappeared without a trace.

review ep 4 wrote:
Of course, part of the joke is that she's describing Kazuma to a T, whether either of them realizes it or not.

Not really. Her list is:
- not particularly attractive - probably, like 95% of population
- cheater - nope
- pervert - nope
- loser - nope, considering cards he got he is playing rather well
- in debt - kinda true, but he got in it saving lots of people, not gambling, drinking or doing nothing
- drunkard - nope, not more than any other character
- lazy - nope
- blaming society for his failures - nope
- pimp - nope
It doesn't seem to match.

Quote:
In a clever reversal of the normal misunderstanding expected of observers in situations like these, the nobleman's son does seem to get it

Reversal? Where? The only object of "normal misunderstanding" is Kazuma and he gets plenty of it in this episode. Darkness is very clear about what she wants, there is no much space for misunderstanding.

Quote:
Making a protagonist as unpleasantly conniving, self-serving, and yet still endearing as Kazuma isn't easy to pull off

It is not that difficult in this case. Darkness has strong desire for self sacrifice. What she really needs is psychotherapy but it is not an option. Kazuma can't really protect her in the long run (he probably will anyway). Marrying her off would both solve his problem (useless team member) and, likely, would save her life. Is it really so selfish? Should he be a nice guy and help Darkness to fulfill her horrible dream?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13