• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Something from this episode that Amy missed is Sakamoto's relationship with the class girls is portrayed. Notice how that when they act all heart-eyed/fawning and pursuing him they get nowhere. Hardly even any recognition. Yet when they are trying to accomplish something and need his help he is actually quite attentive. They can almost have normal interactions although a conversation still seems well out of reach.

There's an object lesson in there for you girls but I'm not sure what it is.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Something from this episode that Amy missed is Sakamoto's relationship with the class girls is portrayed. Notice how that when they act all heart-eyed/fawning and pursuing him they get nowhere. Hardly even any recognition. Yet when they are trying to accomplish something and need his help he is actually quite attentive. They can almost have normal interactions although a conversation still seems well out of reach.

A) This is just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to editorial feedback, but just because a writer didn't mention something doesn't mean they "missed" it, people have to economize their words in a review so there is always always always some detail they're not going to mention, and writers get tired of commenters saying they "forgot" details every time. If you had written a review, you would have not-mentioned something that Amy would have, but you can be more respectful about it by just offering your take instead of phrasing it as "the reviewer forgot this." No, they didn't, they chose not to mention things because reviews aren't supposed to be comprehensive summaries of everything that happened in an episode, ain't nobody got time for that.

B) And more importantly, nobody is asking you to chime into a thread about an over-the-top comedy with cartoonish characters to somehow rationalize some kind of creepy mansplaining about how women should act. No thank you.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, the lady draws some hot men. And, some that aren't so hot... But Fukase and Sakamoto and Hayabusa, mmm hmm.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

If you wanna get an attractive but somewhat eccentric guy to talk to you be a guy?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If you wanna get an attractive but somewhat eccentric guy to talk to you be a guy?

I was thinking more like how you need to interact with a cat that is somewhat shy but doesn't know you. Often if you go directly at them, trying to pet them or pick them up they will become quite evasive. What works sometimes is to sit down and do something completely unrelated. I have managed to get friendly with strays by sitting down, reading a book. Eventually I get a little furry nudge from an "uncatchable" critter. (Particularly if I have food.)

Sakamoto seems like that. Totally standoffish except on his terms. But once his terms are met he seems to be willing to entertain nearly any suggestion.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they gave Kubota's mother another turn in the spotlight. Overall, it wasn't quite as funny as her introductory segment, but I really dug the surprisingly sweet ending. As much as I love this show's mean streak, it was nice seeing Sakamoto make a conscious effort to comfort the one person he fears.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
"Chances are good that Sakamoto will have another spat with his chief aggressor in a few weeks, but for now, I'm content to sit back and watch the titular hero do what he does best. "

chacnes are bad because of the week we got behind because of the earthquake; though I don't konw if that will have any impact regarding streaming as it did have regarding tv airings.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
According to the director, the 13th episode - which is the only one that won't be airing on television - is 100% anime-original, so my money's on Sakamoto settling the score with Fukase in episode 12, assuming he's even slated to make another appearance.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
According to the director, the 13th episode - which is the only one that won't be airing on television - is 100% anime-original, so my money's on Sakamoto settling the score with Fukase in episode 12, assuming he's even slated to make another appearance.

That's good to know, since it will be quite a while before we have access to the 13th episode. Looking at the table of contents of the manga's fourth and final volume, it looks like there are only 5 chapters left to adapt, two of which will be covered by episode 10, so it seems reasonable to me that episode 12 will cover the manga's ending.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Ok, I'll bite - what is a "slope book"? I'm sure there's a joke in there I'm missing. The karaoke was interesting, as he did seem to be quite a bit out of his element there, and visibly uncertain at times.

As for Sakamoto's humanity, I dunno, the Mary Poppins bit with the umbrella seems a bit beyond human limits, but I guess ymmv. Smile
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, "Slope Book" is the literal translation of the two kanji that form "Sakamoto."

I totally had Hayabusa pegged for the surrogate parent type. It seems like every series in which delinquents are prominently featured has at least one.

The crowd control bit was funny, but it struck me as a little too obsessive for Sakamoto. Definitely sensed a little bit of Adrian Monk there.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
leaving her meek husband to raise the couple's three children. Even though Hayabusa plays an active role in raising his younger brothers (identical twins Ryuu and Sora)

You seem to have overlooked the little sister who seems to be the only one of the siblings to take after their father as far as looks are concerned. Smile
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the things I didn't expect to see in an anime, a well-pronounced rendition of "Der Erlkoeinig" is pretty darn close to the top of the list. Damn. Points for that. Overall, this was easily one of my favorite episodes of the series so far.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I get that his plan is being drawn out for the purpose of advancing the overarching plot, but does this series have any need for such things?

There's an overaching plot? Shocked

Acchan should just drop the tsundere act and admit that he likes Sakamoto. Laughing I'm sure Sakamoto will find a creative way to deal with him (and Fukase) but i wonder if "Goodbye, Sakamoto-kun" is to be taken literally...well, perhaps it's really time for him to move on, i guess there are more schools/planets/dimensions out there in need of him.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
There's an overaching plot? Shocked

Inasmuch as a series like this can have one. "Overarching plot" and "central conflict" are often used interchangeably (especially in relation to anime), so I think it's fair to call the Fukase conflict this show's overarching plot. Look at Gintama. Many people view the Takasugi/Utsuro/Joi War stuff as that series' overarching plot, but technically, this isn't correct if we're going off the literal definition of the term.

I think Fukase working his magic on Sakamoto's first adversary-turned-frenemy is a good way to bring the series full circle, though I agree that devoting an entire episode to this development was probably unnecessary. Acchan is kind of like this show's Nelson Muntz - an on-the-surface bad-ass but a pretty decent guy at heart. He's shown near-immediate remorse every time he's been a jerk to Sakamoto, and I can't foresee a finale in which he doesn't repeat this pattern. Still, it'll be fun to see how the show gets us there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5