• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Series: 2015 (First Half)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
I didn't know SNAFU was this popular. And Index... is there still hope for a season 3?

Vaisaga wrote:
Mahouka still going strong! Season 2 when?

I find this a bit puzzling. The home releases sold well, the light novels are doing well and there's plenty of material to adapt. What are they waiting for? Wouldn't they want to do a season 2 while the novels are still hot?
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I didn't know SNAFU was this popular. And Index... is there still hope for a season 3?

Vaisaga wrote:

I find this a bit puzzling. The home releases sold well, the light novels are doing well and there's plenty of material to adapt. What are they waiting for? Wouldn't they want to do a season 2 while the novels are still hot?

It's a MADHOUSE show... that's all the reason you need. They seem to take on a lot of projects with stipulations like that. I wouldn't count on a second season, ever.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
^ But that wouldn't make much sense. Mahouka is an extremely popular title.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
And Index... is there still hope for a season 3?

Part of the problem with a third season of Index is how to market it to non-novel readers, who are - reportedly - far more interested in the Railgun characters than Touma's ever-expanding harem of Anglican girls.

Four of the next six light novels follow Anglicans/Catholics, and the other two are Hamazura stories. That's potentially a whole lot of episodes where Mikoto Misaka sits on her butt, and there are definitely some fans who aren't going to like that.

Personally, though, I really want a third season. IMHO, Hamazura has the best harem girls in the history of anime.
Yause

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Wouldn't they want to do a season 2 while the novels are still hot?

Careful here. Book success on its own has little bearing on the chances of another season. Rather, the main forces in favor of a sequel would be disc sales (pretty good) or expectations of a second big boost from another season (much less likely, which is why many adaptations are cut short despite strong novel and merchandise sales. The promotional machine did its job already and further growth is limited).

Simultaneously, the forces in favor of another season contend with forces favoring new adaptations. Why expand on an existing show when there's a shot at prepping the next big franchise? For instance, it's by passing on (or delaying....who knows....) opportunities like Index III that they could build up Sword Art Online, Accel World, etc. Clearly, they'd profit more from establishing Heavy Object as a big hit than from extending the Index anime.

At the end of the day, it's a balancing act between expanding an anime series (mainly for disc sales) and building new hits, and the latter is naturally first priority. Any way we look at it, resources are limited, and there are only a handful of projects that they can work on during a particularly timeframe.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
Index in 13th place? I'd be pretty disappointed if I didn't know that only 1 volume was released this year. Durarara!! on the other hand ... Sad

You say that, but SAO didn't have any novels in this time frame and it still got #7. Progressive only had 1. I wonder how many that beat Index actually had 2+ releases.

I'm sad Accel World didn't make the list, but it didn't have a release in there either.

Good news for upcoming Index sales though, the next volume being focused on Mikoto pretty much guarantees awesome sales.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey can some o e tell me what is the exact month the majouka light novel comes out?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Hey can some o e tell me what is the exact month the majouka light novel comes out?

Most recent was May 9th.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
^ But that wouldn't make much sense. Mahouka is an extremely popular title.

Whether it gets a second season or not is more about what kind of contract MADHOUSE had for the work and whether the production committee decides they want them to make more. The purpose of the show was probably more aimed toward increasing sales of the Light Novel, rather than selling actual BDs, and that obviously worked, so they might see a follow up season as more advertising that they don't need. I'm just not holding my breath considering MADHOUSE's record with sequels.

If No Game No Life doesn't get a sequel.... well, I'm not sure what is more deserving than that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
It's not like America - in Japan, a TV series isn't continued simply for TV series sake; instead the TV series is a tool for the original published work.

(Ex: Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have increased sales of their original published works, but as long as the TV series remain popular, they'll keep making the TV series regardless.)
Nayre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Nayre wrote:
Yen press is totally slow in translating and has reputation to cut or to change some content.

Really? What have they cut/changed?
The releases by series may be a bit slow considering they are so behind on Japanese releases, but Yen On releases like 3 volumes every month. That's not bad at all, especially if you're interested in many series.

Nayre wrote:
I know i'm not the only who feel this way, sao, ngnl,hataraku and mahouka readers would understand.

Did Hataraku Maou-sama even had any translations?

Hataraku was translated by baka-tsuki until it was serialized. You can check at bakaupdates if you want. About yen press, yes. I manage to read nisekoi published by yen press and its a little bit lame compare to imperial/redhawks translation but i think its subjective in some sense.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Nayre wrote:
Hataraku was translated by baka-tsuki until it was serialized. You can check at bakaupdates if you want. About yen press, yes. I manage to read nisekoi published by yen press and its a little bit lame compare to imperial/redhawks translation but i think its subjective in some sense.

Nisekoi is Viz, not Yen Press.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Vaisaga wrote:

SAO was bigger than Mahouka. It didn't got a new series like couple years later. Mahouka anime was just out last year. AoT has enough for 24 eps too, they still haven't make season 2.

Mahouka will have season 2, you just have to be patient.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
I believe that the top 3's placements is largely due to that they got an anime adaptation recently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2