• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub for Love Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

But regardless, as long as Gen Fukunaga owns Funimation, I won't be buying or supporting any of their products.

Um, why? Dude just owns the place, he doesnt make the dubs :p
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

But regardless, as long as Gen Fukunaga owns Funimation, I won't be buying or supporting any of their products.

I have this sinking feeling that he's one of "those people" who won't support Funimation because Gen Fukunaga supports some company-EchoLight Studios-that employs Rick Santorum.

As mentioned by irrational haters in this Answerman column: animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2014-01-24
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Also nice to see that they have in fact decided to dub it. Apparently enough people complained about the sub-only release that they decided to bite the bullet and do it. Good to see that they're still planning to put out the sub-only DVDs for those who don't want to wait for it, though.

The problem with this is that the subtitled-only version is only listed as "DVD" on their tumblr post today. "A DVD for the subtitled version will still release this May" or something like that. So we get punished for something we don't want and that will probably be terrible because an anime like this with so much culture almost always gets translated bad.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the Welcome to NHK dub because that was a horrible dub according to you.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Complicated?! This concept isn't exactly rocket science. We had Eric Cartman explaining this concept to us over a decade ago in South Park (Good Times with Weapons), for crying out loud.

Dude, I constantly watch ALL episodes of South Park. Especially Good Times with Weapons. And I heard and seen no frame where Eric Cartman explains Dellusions of Granduer. If he did, You should not take what a satire explains for a condition, for it is with the sake of comedy in mind. Children that have daydreams or imagination that recalls the nostalgia of the viewers childhood is funny, A grown highschool student or adult that still has the supposed 8th grade condition of childhood imagination, not so much. For my two cents, it reminds me of symptoms for autism or asperger syndrome. Which I have.

publicenemy333 wrote:

He said regardless of there bad translated dubs, meaning he jumped to a different notion of negativety towards Funimation. As in Gen Fukunaga, the guy that orginally brought Dragon Ball Z over to the states to be dubbed in canada, and then to their studio a couple years later. Yet some fans dislike both dubs, like Penguintruth.

I disliked Funimation too with a passion after hearing the Strike Witches dub along with how IMO Mike ruined Rei Ayanami by using Brina Palencia. But I grew out of it with dubs of Panty and Stocking and Shuffle. Giving me hope. And with Emily Neves and David Matranga trying to get in. It seems I can enjoy there content with my favorite actors. And I hope more houston actors go over, or vise versa.

Plus Fukunaga along with his hired licensors were the ones that created the whole, "dub everything we license" rule. Limiting what content they could deliver. Now they are trying to follow the money trail Sentai Filmworks is supposedly getting by trying sub-only releases. If it does not work, then fine. If it does, then how much of that was under Gen Fukunaga's supervision when he was focusing on bringing a politician that has negative publicity to a Christian Studio as a CEO that is right now not getting alot of profit?

Probably none at all if according to Dragonrider_cody during his experience at conventions. That certain staff members from Funimation, were talking to eachother with negative opinion towards fans and customers at the con calling them along the lines of, "livestock". I don't know if they were fired, but I hope they are. If not, then where are the head honchos fireing people that are bringing a companies image to a new low?

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
A 180 suitable for a terrible company like Sentai. I swear to Christ these guys are like the enemy of English dubbing. Whenever a show I like get picked up by them I always die a little on the inside thinking about the quality made English dub that could have been.

I still pray that one day Penguindrum will get that Funimation dub it deserves.

I agree with you on one thing, then vomit on another one Laughing

Peguindrum was a great dub acting wise IMO. Technical side, not so much. The only quarrel I got was from a scene in episode 1. And I think there is more hate on the resolution and disc quality then just the english dub.

Though back to my first point, I'm already finding more irritations on the AOT english dub clips instead of something like Penguindrum or Medaka Box. Like Mike Mcfarland not getting spot on scene by scene with Jean's character animation, where David Matranga would fit to a J. Or Trina's voice going all over the place in emotional or non emotional scenes as Mikasa. Where another Sentai actress like Emily Neves would fit to a M Rolling Eyes. Or with J. Michael's tone being somewhat more homosexual as Erwin, bringing the fangirls dream of him and Levi getting it with eachother. Answer to solve that, Andrew Love Cool. And the liberal script being used for Levi's horrible comeback puns, though I see potential in Matthew Mercer along with Josh Grelle.

I know they are just clips, but they were sent to the public to be analyzed either for personal enjoyment or to develop an immpression of the overall quality of the product. And I don't feel any Berserk acting in that one yet IMO.

Last edited by bs3311 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dead Early

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
A 180 suitable for a terrible company like Sentai. I swear to Christ these guys are like the enemy of English dubbing. Whenever a show I like get picked up by them I always die a little on the inside thinking about the quality made English dub that could have been.

Funi dubbing that would still be garbage. They only put effort into massively popular stuff like Naruto and Bleach.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Dead Early wrote:

Funi dubbing that would still be garbage. They only put effort into massively popular stuff like Naruto and Bleach.

Neither of which they have the rights to. Both those titles are done by Viz.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Dead Early wrote:

You guys wanna tell the poster or should I?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Dead Early

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, apparently I'm nuts. For some reason, I thought Funi was a subsidiary of Viz.

Funi's still bad.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
Dead Early wrote:
Well, apparently I'm nuts. For some reason, I thought Funi was a subsidiary of Viz.

Funi's still bad.

and you're still nuts.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
North American anime licensing company Sentai Filmworks announced on Sunday that it acquired Kyoto Animation's (KyoAni's) Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai! anime series. The 12-episode anime will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2013.
Quote:
North American anime distributor Sentai Filmworks announced on Monday that it will dub Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!. The previously announced subtitle-only release will still ship in May, but due to popular demand the company will also release a DVD, Blu-ray, and Limited Edition Numbered Premium Box Set with an English language track later this year.
Well, I'm glad to see they're getting something out in the 17th month of 2013, at least.

AsherFischell wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Great. Just great. This is getting a dub? It really shouldn't, because a show this terrible doesn't deserve a dub. There are much better anime out there that deserve an English dub, and this over hyped insult to humanity doesn't need one.

Now, I love to bitch, complain and use hyperbole as much as the next guy, but insult to humanity? Hitler was an insult to humanity. The subjugation of the people in North Korea is an insult to humanity. The spread of famine and disease in Africa is an insult to a humanity. A tv show that you don't like? Probably not so much. I know that anime is serious business, but it ain't THAT serious.
Ignore it, it's just another typical FireChick CTRL+C/CTRL+V response to a show she doesn't like getting licensed/dubbed/not obliterated from the surface of the planet.

BS3311 wrote:
For my two cents, [chuunibyou] reminds me of symptoms for autism or asperger syndrome. Which I have.
I'm still surprised that none of the more trollish fansub groups used either of those two terms, given the their buzzword popularity as stand-ins for "anything unusual."
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
if you cant tell the difference between funimation and viz I have to question whether or not you actually watch the dubs or just don't like cartoon network, lol.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Most of the time, they'll only go back and dub a show if the subbed version already sold fairly well, or if one of the foreign licensors like Manga UK or Madman wants them to. Chunibyo is really the only exception to this rule where they actually made the decision *before* the release even came out.

[Citation Needed]

potatochobit wrote:
sometimes I wonder if anime network guys are on drugs

What has The Anime Network got to do with a dub?
Quote:
this show is over a year old

Half of one year.
Quote:
and most of the people who watched it wanted a dub in the first place, I don't really understand what there was to consider about it.

Everyone who has watched it so far has clearly watched it without an English dub.

Quote:
of course, they also announce a whole bunch of DVD only releases and annoy a bunch more people in the process. I guess reselling anime in america must have a much smaller profit margin than I thought as everyone seems to sell whatever license they can get.

"There are no licensor holdbacks on BD for this title and the costs work out find, but we'll release on DVD-only just to annoy people" = doesn't happen.

Quote:
I wish they would learn to say No. when companies give them ridiculous licensing restrictions because I sure as well have. In this age of online streaming it is rather irrelevant when an american video release comes out as it doesn't matter when it is added to your collection, most people have already seen the show long ago. I wish people would stop buying DVDs, it only encourages this behavior.

It would only be irrelevant if people weren't buying the DVDs and, by your own argument, they are. QED.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

This made me vomit a little bit in my mouth. A horribly cast dub, most likely with not only Japanese words mispronounced, but even simple English terms like those in Shiki.

I honestly think ADV comes bottom of the barrel with it comes to pronunciation. It takes a special level of disregard to, for example, turn Naoi into Neigh-oi.

Quote:
Ironically, Shiki is the only semi-recent Funimation dub I've heard that didn't seem like it was cast by tossing darts at a board.

I haven't heard a great many since I can't afford to buy much on disc these days, but I thought the casting for Steins;Gate was superb, and my only complaint with Space Dandy is the over application of autotune on QT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Most of the time, they'll only go back and dub a show if the subbed version already sold fairly well, or if one of the foreign licensors like Manga UK or Madman wants them to. Chunibyo is really the only exception to this rule where they actually made the decision *before* the release even came out.

[Citation Needed]

animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2012/otakon/13

Quote:
Audience: Have you ever been surprised by how a sub-only release went and thought you should go back and dub that?

Williams: That happened with Clannad but not so much the sales as there were other English-speaking countries that wanted to release it and wanted a dub for it, so we were able to go back and do the dub because we could spread out the cost. There's the case of Princess Resurrection and I thought we should do a dub for it at first, but it sold well enough that we went back and there's now a dub for that one out there. That's one case where we've done that. Most cases though, it was like with Clannad where we could spread it out with other countries.

Audience: How do you deal with streaming in other countries?

Williams: It depends on the rights that you purchase with the Japanese. In some cases you'll get all English-speaking countries, in others you'll get North America and Canada only, so it depends on the rights you get. Generally for us if we get a show and we have, say, Australian or U.K. rights or whatever, we'll work with a company there to handle that for us.

-edit-
Also, since it was brought up in that initial post.
It's entirely possible that is what happened with Chunibyo too, since Madman licensed both seasons and confirmed a BD release of S1 back in January.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nyoro Nyoromi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Bablioteca wrote:
People talk a lot about voice actors, but really for me, I'm hoping this is an opportunity for the script writer to really land a home run. The show lends itself well to an adaption.

Sentai/Seraphim has script writers?

They always just read the subtitles and make a few minor changes in areas where needed.

I believe that was the case, as they had people credited with "spotting" instead of script writing. However, newer shows (MM!, Upotte, Say I Love you, Maria Holic, From the New World and possibly others?) as far back as Tsuritama have had script writers. Hopefully, things are on the up, as some of the past "scripts" have been pretty unbearable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6