• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the shell 2nd gig question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobody2580

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
In the last episode, spoiler[ batou digs the major and kuze out of the rubble with an I-beam shaped like a cross. Does anyone think this is just a coincidance or what?] Also. Does any one know about a 3rd gig or when solid state society will be released in the US?

[EDIT: It's not that hard to use spoiler tags. -TK]
patch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Considered 2nd GIG was released in 2004, I don't think it's a coincidence.

Solid State Society is due to be released sometime in 2007 (press release).
Enjeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Please remember to use spoiler tags spoiler[ like this.]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nobody2580

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Opps... Sorry about that every body.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
nobody2580 wrote:
In the last episode, spoiler[ batou digs the major and kuze out of the rubble with an I-beam shaped like a cross. Does anyone think this is just a coincidance or what?] Also. Does any one know about a 3rd gig or when solid state society will be released in the US?

I think it was just a coincidence. But it was boss to see The Passion of Batou. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it was just a coincidence

Oh, I don't know. I think it could be symbolic of Batou's spoiler[love for the Major]. As in, spoiler[his love for the Major is his cross to bear because he knows it will never be requited. If I remember right, he disobeyed a direct order from the major to try and rescue her, and risked death himself if the nuke had landed. Of course, that probably would be true of the whole area.]

Just my thoughts on the matter ...

-Murph
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
nobody2580 wrote:

I think it was just a coincidence. But it was boss to see The Passion of Batou. Laughing

I don't know...spoiler[remember Kusanagi and Kuze were found hugging and about to take bites from green apples which may be a reference to Adam and Eve as well...it struck me as odd at the time because I hadn't noticed any other religious symbolism within the series.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
patch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, I guess everyone is thinking something completely different to me.

When I saw spoiler[the cross, what came back into my head was the 9/11 cross (link). ]
nobody2580

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know spoiler[ remember Kusanagi and Kuze were found hugging and about to take bites from green apples which may be a reference to Adam and Eve as well...it struck me as odd at the time because I hadn't noticed any other religious symbolism within the series.]
]
Hmm... Yeah I diden't even think...spoiler[ [about the apples and what that might mean], good point.]
nobody2580

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I think its amazing how different people see some things. Its nice to see things in a different light.
nobody2580

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know...spoiler[[remember Kusanagi and Kuze were found hugging and about to take bites from green apples which may be a reference to Adam and Eve as well...it struck me as odd at the time because I hadn't noticed any other religious symbolism within the series.]]
I just had a thought, in episode 18 trans parent, spoiler[ Batou's stake out is on top a gaint angel. I mean why does it have to be an angel? and also the terrorist at the end of the episode is caught in a church.] Could this also be religious symbolism or mabey just a coincidence? Or is all this just in my head?
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
nobody2580 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know...spoiler[[remember Kusanagi and Kuze were found hugging and about to take bites from green apples which may be a reference to Adam and Eve as well...it struck me as odd at the time because I hadn't noticed any other religious symbolism within the series.]]
I just had a thought, in episode 18 trans parent, spoiler[ Batou's stake out is on top a gaint angel. I mean why does it have to be an angel? and also the terrorist at the end of the episode is caught in a church.] Could this also be religious symbolism or mabey just a coincidence? Or is all this just in my head?

There could be some symbolism there. I really don't believe in coincidences in anime, because everything is planned out and storyboarded so far in advance. I mean, Batou spoiler[using a steel beam shaped like a cross and his stakeout on top of the angel] were specifically and intentionally planned by the series creators.

Now, whether these things have any significance or symbolic value, I don't know. The creators could have chosen them because they looked cool or were visually different from other settings in the story. Personally, I hadn't noticed the spoiler[Adam and Eve] comparison. But it make sense thinking about it because spoiler[they were prepared to abandon their shells and transfer their ghosts to the net. Maybe they would have been the Adam and Eve of a new evolution of humankind, whose ghosts don't need shells in order to exist.]

Again, just my thoughts on the matter ...

-Murph
nobody2580

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't have access to ep 18 (I watched the series on Adult Swim) but it couldn't be coincidental as Murph76 states.

I also like the theory of Murph76 about the spoiler[ abandonment of shells!]

I wonder if there are any other references that could be related, but there is a tendency sometimes to find such things be over analysis that were really unintentional to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
My guess it was planned. Given who was involved in making this series, the apple and cross where planned.

On a side note about Batou, he is a typical character of Mamoru Oshi. He is a cross of Captain Gato and several others from Patlabor, which is another Mamoru Oshi creation.

I wish Batou would get with it and realize he doesn't have a chance with the Major. He's not a girl or a 12 year old boy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2