• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV film's dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
my only problem is ADV uses what i like to call "Dead End Dialogue". for example there will be a long conversation, and a character will say something nonsensical like "I'm Glad". it just sounds really cheesy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
I like lots of recent ADV dubs personally although some of their older stuff is hit or miss. For instance I really like the dubs for Aquarian Age, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Elfen Lied, the Full Metal Panic incarnations, Madlax, Noir, and RahXephon just to name a few. I have no issues with the acting or anything in any of these titles, all of which I own by the way, and that's really all I care about when it comes to dubs. The VAs get recycled a lot though.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I like lots of recent ADV dubs personally although some of their older stuff is hit or miss. For instance I really like the dubs for Aquarian Age, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Elfen Lied, the Full Metal Panic incarnations, Madlax, Noir, and RahXephon just to name a few. I have no issues with the acting or anything in any of these titles, all of which I own by the way, and that's really all I care about when it comes to dubs. The VAs get recycled a lot though.

I would have to agree with you. There was a time where I really didn't care for ADV's choice of voice acting talent. For example, Happy Lesson really didn't seem to flow right with me. None of the voices really seemed to fit with the characters. If you look at the list of voice acting talent that worked on that show you will notice that none of them are on ADV's current list.

English voice actors have come a long way over the last 5 years or so. A prime example is if you watch the english tracks of Crying Freeman or Ceres, Celestial Legend, to me it felt like people were reading the script for the first time. However, anime was still very new in America. At that time it must have been very hard to get people with an acting backround to work on anime projects. As the years continue to go by, I am sure the talent level is going to continue to rise.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
Enjeru wrote:
If you look at the list of voice acting talent that worked on that show you will notice that none of them are on ADV's current list.

Not true, but not everyone can commute from Austin to Houston. Wink
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
I have a hard time calling most of ADV's newer dubs 'bad' when I look just at them, but I am extremely put off by the recycled voice actors. It seems like they only have 5 main voice actors or something, and it grates on my nerves to hear the voices I have mentally associated with one character attempt to portray a different character (this happens with japanese seiyuu too! Though far less often for the obvious reason that there are far more of them). My brain just yells: "No, you're Sagara! What're you doing with her?! Go back to Teletha!" whenever I hear Chris Patton's voice; I don't know what to do, it's hard to break the connections once they've been made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wanzuu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
Selenta wrote:
Quote:
I have a hard time calling most of ADV's newer dubs 'bad' when I look just at them, but I am extremely put off by the recycled voice actors. It seems like they only have 5 main voice actors or something, and it grates on my nerves to hear the voices I have mentally associated with one character attempt to portray a different character (this happens with japanese seiyuu too! Though far less often for the obvious reason that there are far more of them.

Shelley Calene- Black, Luci Christian, Monical Rial, Chris Patton, John Swasey, and Hilary Haag are in just about every ADV dub I have ever seen.

I am a big fan of ADV's dubs (hello by the way I've never posted here before but it looks like a good place to start Embarassed ), especially Saiyuki. That is one of my favorite dubs of all time. BTW, it really bothered me when ADV lost the licence for the next two shows to Geneon, getting used to new voices in old characters is sometimes off-putting.

Eva, RahXephon, Gilgamesh, and Chrono Crusade were all excellent as well. I prefer ADV's VA's and dubs over any others, I think, although in most cases I will watch the sub versions.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
LilacShadow wrote:
Unlike a lot of people, I rarely watch anime in its original Japanese language. It's just easier for me, and I hardly ever really dislike dubs. So I can't compare ADV's dubs to the orginal Japanese and I'm not at all an expert of voice acting, but I think ADV's dubs are good from what I've heard. I especially liked the dubs of RahXephon and Azumanga Daioh.

Also, FUNimation and ADV seem to have some of the same voice actors.. So if FUNimation always comes out with good dubs, then ADV's can't be really be too bad, can they?

When it comes to dubs, it's mainly just people's opinions. Even if many people like a dub, there will be people that don't like it. If you don't like certain dubs, it'd probably be best just to listen to those anime in Japanese with subtitles.

Both comapnies have their own Va's. Some of the ADV Va's, like Monica Rial and Greg Ayres for example, do extra work for Funimation. Some of the bigger name people who have been around get asked to help on a project at another company. The most obvious being the ADV Va's working with Funimation.

Quote:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote Report Post
I have a hard time calling most of ADV's newer dubs 'bad' when I look just at them, but I am extremely put off by the recycled voice actors. It seems like they only have 5 main voice actors or something, and it grates on my nerves to hear the voices I have mentally associated with one character attempt to portray a different character (this happens with japanese seiyuu too! Though far less often for the obvious reason that there are far more of them). My brain just yells: "No, you're Sagara! What're you doing with her?! Go back to Teletha!" whenever I hear Chris Patton's voice; I don't know what to do, it's hard to break the connections once they've been made.

That is a good point but you gotta understand that most Va's don't make it a career. I've talked with several Va's at various panels, some being very in depth, and one thing many say is that Voice Acting is not a career job. They don't make much money at all. Most Va's work a 9-5 job and do this as an extra cause they like it. That's why you get a lot of the same Va's on a companies releases and why you also see the same Va's at so many cons. Of course you do have your "con whores" like Monica Rial and Greg Ayres Laughing (it's not a derogatory term trust me)

I also agree with Key, there are worse companies out there for those who don't like ADV (like Tony K., surprised he hasn't posted here yet). I personally like ADV but I also don't have much objection to most companies Voice Actors. There's really few I honestly don't like. ADV and Funimation though do have more I do like. They have their misses though don't get me wrong. No company is perfect.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I also agree with Key, there are worse companies out there for those who don't like ADV (like Tony K., surprised he hasn't posted here yet).

I've been told by Admin. that I'm not allowed to publically berate them because it's bad Mod./Staff decorum, and I guess I am some sort of embodiment of the site, so I'll respect ANN for it. Basically, it's the old proverb "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

So yeah, I'm a total mute when it comes to this topic now...

(*eternal silence*)...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
I also agree with Key, there are worse companies out there for those who don't like ADV (like Tony K., surprised he hasn't posted here yet).

I've been told by Admin. that I'm not allowed to publically berate them because it's bad Mod./Staff decorum, and I guess I am some sort of embodiment of the site, so I'll respect ANN for it. Basically, it's the old proverb "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

So yeah, I'm a total mute when it comes to this topic now...

(*eternal silence*)...

Heh I can see the gears turning in your head now. I can almost touch the string of curses and hexes you wish to let loose on ADV Twisted Evil I know what your opinion is of them and that's cool Tony. If you prefer other companies in your non-mod personal anime life then that's your deal. I'm sure you still pick up ADV titles that interest you and play them subbed. My only request I make of people is support the idustry and buy the titles that sound good regardless of the dubbing. Simply play them subbed but enjoy the title itself. Everyone has their preference. Like, for example, some people like the fact that every damn stupid fast food place puts freakin mayo in their chicken sandwhiches. WTF is up with that!!!!! Mayo on chicken? You people are sick!!!!!!!!!

BTW, when you're doing hexing ADV please leave out 2 of their VA's. Chris Ayres and Brittney Karbowski, I've met them and they're really awesome people so don't hex them please Anime cry
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:

But this can be said about nearly every company that does English dubbing, and a lot of the Japanese dub work, too. Consider the English dubs of Bleach and Eureka 7; very similar core casts. And there was a time when it seemed liked Steve Blum was in nearly every anime title.

Although it still relies on the same basic core of VAs, ADV has expanded its talent pool quite a bit in the last couple of years. So have other companies - especially Ocean Group, which has started using casting agencies to assemble voice talent on some of its dubs.

For the person commenting about ADV getting better in the last couple of years: you must not have been around long in the hobby, then. ADV's been dubbing anime since the mid-'90s and has been up, down, and sideways on dub quality all throughout that period. The only thing that's changed over the years is that ADV doesn't muddle with scripts quite as much as they used to. (That's now the provence of FUNimation.) They put out some (IMO) strong dubs back in the mid-90s but also some less-than-stellar ones, and the past couple of years aren't any different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For the person commenting about ADV getting better in the last couple of years: you must not have been around long in the hobby, then. ADV's been dubbing anime since the mid-'90s and has been up, down, and sideways on dub quality all throughout that period. The only thing that's changed over the years is that ADV doesn't muddle with scripts quite as much as they used to. (That's now the provence of FUNimation.) They put out some (IMO) strong dubs back in the mid-90s but also some less-than-stellar ones, and the past couple of years aren't any different.

I won't dispute that since ADV's series don't really make up a majority of my collection (That would be Pioneer/Geneon) and I have several less than stellar works from them like Mezzo: DSA, Devil Hunter Yohko, or the two Gravion series and aside from one or two series they haven't gotten anything I felt like picking up for a while minus thinpacks of older series. However, now that they've got Le Chevalier D'Eon I have at least one to look forward to from them.

Seems like I had gotten lucky though in that most of the ones I do have are the good ones.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Now, did ADV supply the studio for FMP TSR dubbing, or just the va's? If they supplied the studio, I would say that they upgraded their equipment a lot. the voices sounded more than someone stuck in a small box.

I think that has been a large part of dub quality issues in the past, hopefully less of one in future.

My beef, is that they are from Texas, so all the bad guys sound like southern rednecks. Can't none a youse talk like you're from NYC? Or Minnesota, or some other accent?

Crikey!
CGord

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I like the ADV voice actors. I think they do quality work, & the few that I've met (Greg Ayres, Christine Auten) at cons were cool people. Some of the ADV releases, I'd rather watch in English than Japanese. The only one I can think of where I flat-out do not listen to the dub is Kino's Journey; the voice of Hermes is just too far from the original for me.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
It seems like a lot of the dubs I've been watching lately have been ADV, and in general I think their dubs are good quality. I was really pleased with Princess Tutu's dub, for example--although I prefer the Japanese seiyuu for Ahiru/Duck, Luci Christian did a really nice 'regal' tone to Princess Tutu's speech, Chris Patton was great (as always), and Drosselmeyer and Cat-Sensei were actually better in the dub than they were in the sub. I really enjoyed Azumanga Daioh's dub, as well. DNAngel's kind of 'meh' with me, but I think Kevin Corn and Vic Mignogna did a great job as the main leads. And Full Metal Panic is probably one of the best dubs I've *ever* heard.

So, yeah, they're not always perfect, but I wouldn't say they're a horrible company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If you're referring to my post, it's true that I've only been in the fandom for almost four years, and admittedly I haven't watched very many of ADV's 90s dubs. Or maybe none at all, for that matter. I did pick up Devil Hunter Yohko as an ADV "historical item," so maybe that will get me some more exposure.

However, within my limited-scope experience, I've liked their recent dubs better than the ones from 3-4+ years ago, although it's not 100% consistent. For instance, after finishing the last disc of This Ugly yet Beautiful World in the English dub, I have to say that the emotional impact just wasn't as powerful as when I saw it in Japanese. And from past experience, the lessened impact didn't stem from already having seen the material. There are scenes in Fruits Basket and other series that I can watch over and over again in either language and still have it feel like the first time, to paraphase from Foreigner.
v1cious wrote:
my only problem is ADV uses what i like to call "Dead End Dialogue". for example there will be a long conversation, and a character will say something nonsensical like "I'm Glad". it just sounds really cheesy.
That's what I call "overly-strict translation," usually of the word/line "yokatta," literally meaning "~was good," but translated in all sorts of ways including I'm glad, thank goodness, what a relief, thank God, good, cool, great...you get the idea. It's extremely common in anime dialogue, and while translations usually change things around to fit the context and the situation, sometimes adapters will get lazy and just use "yokatta=I'm glad" as a default, leading to those cheesy moments. I can recall several points where Angelic Layer did that, anyway. Of course, overuse of "yokatta" can be annoying in Japanese, as well...'tis the curse of knowing too much.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3