• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need a gift for brother and his wife...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evasiege

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Can someone recommend a good action adventure movie. Not an entire series, just something I can get for like $20. Looking for something more fantasy based as well. Ones they have seen so far - princess mononoke, samurai x, spirited away, castle in the sky. Anything else you guys can think of?
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, if they enjoyed Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke, they might be interested in Miyazaki's other movies. Nausicaa is a good one that's somewhat action oriented. In terms of fantasy action movies I can also think of Escaflowne, but be warned it's not all that strong on story.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Spriggan is a good action/sci-fi movie that has wonderful animation and is pretty violent. Ninja Scroll is a great action flick that quite a bit of blood and sword fighting but it just draw you in. and Cowboy Bebop the Movie isnt really adventure BUT it has a good plot and the animation for Cowboy Bebop is alway GREAT and you get to Spike kick some ass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Ragg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
If they enjoy action, and can let the story slide a bit, I'd reccomend Appleseed. I personally thought this MOVIE was the best action movie I had seen. It totally took FF7 AC in the first 5 minutes, but the story line was realllllyyy bad. It was very VERY cliche. If you can let story slide, then pick up Appleseed, but if you can't then yeah, any other Miyazaki film works out nicely.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
hm....something for around $20....Vampire Hunter D. great movie. and since they liked Samurai X, show them some real blood and go with Blood the Last Vampire. its all action, and very bloody.

aside from that, go with Nausicaa. they also might like Kiki's delivery service and princess Mononoke.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Well, if they enjoyed Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke, they might be interested in Miyazaki's other movies. Nausicaa is a good one that's somewhat action oriented. In terms of fantasy action movies I can also think of Escaflowne, but be warned it's not all that strong on story.

If you do want a good Miyazaki movie, try Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro. Its old and the animation's kinda crappy, but its one of best action anime movie(s) out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1