• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hard to Find a Place in the Anime World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Animefreak6969 wrote:
Quote:
I see. So your current avatar must be a picture of the real you. Right.

no no no, i haven't got there yet

THIS
is the real me!!!

seriously! i thought you were a chick! (im a girl BTW)

yep yep, that was the real me, i had gotten a hold of scented markers and BAM!!! thats what happens to your face when a lot of girls want to color it.

(i know you're a girl Anime smile)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Haha, you're my new best friend. Alas, I'm not even able to break the Third Commandment, since the fansub group that was hosting Glassy Ocean is down, for who knows how long, and Winter Days was never available as a fansub (at least not that I could find). I watched it raw on a, like, 10th generation burned DVD I borrowed from the animator Igor Kovalyov.
Ah, sad that. If it isn't too much trouble, once they're ("they" as in the group who subbed Glassy Ocean) up again it would be wonderful if you'd pm me a little note. : ) I'd be glad to give my opinions to make it worth your while, in any case. The movie doesn't look like something that would ever come here from the usual anime outlets in any case.

--added-- Winter Days has a wikipedia entry, I just noticed. Wow, that sounds even more unique that Glassy Ocean. A minute or two of animation illustrating a stanza? Ironically, Glassy Ocean does not share that privilege, a reverse from ANN's encyclopedia. Idea
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
I like Fullmetal Alchemist as much as the next guy, but hey, nobody in the world appreciates Honey and Clover. Anime cry

Indeed, H & C is a terrible show, that is why both the original and its sequal are both in the top 11. (the sequal being number 4 of all time)

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian
'

I think Samurai-with-glasses was referring to the more-visible anime fandom outside of our community here at the ANN. And, based on my limited experiences with said people, I'd agree with him.
Cloe wrote:
Heck, a picture of me has been available for ages, with access right here in the forum. People don't pay enough attention to the little "www." It doesn't bother me to have my picture and information out there (I'm a self-promoting freelancer, after all), but I can understand how it would make some people uncomfortable.

I remember visiting your site a long while back when there wasn't much content up, but I visited it just now and it seems like things are rolling along quite nicely for you now!
(Psst! Everyone go to her site and watch her animated short Ballyvaughan Story, it's really good!)
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Heck, a picture of me has been available for ages, with access right here in the forum. People don't pay enough attention to the little "www."

Touché.

Cloe wrote:
It doesn't bother me to have my picture and information out there (I'm a self-promoting freelancer, after all), but I can understand how it would make some people uncomfortable.

What do they do IRL then? You have to grow up sometime.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Watching anime by myself is relaxing and all but at times it does feels lonely in the anime world for me. My friends don't really care for anime and a lot of them even make fun of anime fans (which I never do) so I tend to keep my love of anime away from them and I just end up talking about normal media things with them like MTV and all that.

Your friends aren't that much into anime? Find something they might like. They into rap? Have them check out Samurai Champloo. They like anything with Samuel L. Jackson? Afro Samurai's the way to go. Any of them into street racing? Show them Initial D and see if they'll cut their teeth on that! Harry Potter-like stuff? Can't go wrong with FMA! (I know they're both completely different from each other, but I'm sure some HP fans would like FMA) Hell, you can't go wrong with Cowboy Bebop, either.

Quote:
The problem is the anime club students at my school seem to have a dislike for me. I get the feeling they see me as a non anime person. Whenever I start a discussion with them about anime they ask me about things like Inuyasha or Naruto or Fruit Basket. Personally I'm not at all into shounen stuff or fluffy shoujo stuff and when I try talking about something like Rumbling Hearts or Koi Kaze etc. they just look at me weird and when they start talking about series like Naruto I'm clueless and I'm like "well I like that epsidoe and blah blah blah" but they get into the whole background of the show and I'm like woah you know alot. They usually end the conversation and go back to the anime club clique. I don't know why but when I find myself clueless and all I can say is "you sure know a lot" that seems to always end the conversation. Does it make me seem like I'm making fun or something? Pretty much all of the anime club acts this way towards me (its small so I know most of them) and its seems pretty rude. It just kind of confuses me and I wonder if maybe its the company I keep or maybe they think I make fun of anime too or something. Now it doesn't stress me out or anything like that but it does perplex me as to why its hard for someone like me to connect with an anime fan in real life.

Ah, one of the "popular anime" clubs. Inuyasha, Fruits Basket, and the Shonen Jump shows are all good, but they ought to realize there's more anime than that. Show them stuff like Samurai Champloo, Ah! My Goddess, FLCL, Eureka Seven, Trinity Blood, s-CRY-ed, Chrono Crusade, etc., see if they end up liking that. Then have them man up to stuff like Blue Gender, Ghost in the Shell, Elfen Lied, Monster, et al. Whatever works. And if they still stick to the SJ titles and Inuyasha, start your own anime club and see how it turns out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
OK, I know it's OT, but...

Then again, nobody in the world appreciates the genius that is One Hundred Years of Solitude either, and I could hardly contain raving in madness about the amazing thing.

HUH Question

I don't think they hand you the Nobel Prize for Literature when nobody in the world appreciates your most famous work. Maybe nobody in your world, but there are lots of Marquez fans out there.

And that kind of sums up anime for me. No one in my world is a fan besides me, so I hang out here when I want to discuss anime. There are a lot of really smart, interesting, and articulate people here on the ANN forums, so the fact that none of my friends or family are even really aware of anime is no big deal. We have lots of other things to talk about.

I think sharing an interest like anime (or any interest for that matter) is just a case of finding the right people. I have a couple of co-workers who are not particularly into animation, but who do watch a lot of movies. Knowing their interests in movies, I have loaned them several of my anime titles. We always talk about the things we loan to each other, so while I'm not going to have a discussion with them about what new titles are popular in Japan right now or about the relative merits of NGE vs. RahXephon or something like that, I can still share a little bit of what I like about anime with them and I get to find out their views as well. You don't necessarily have to find an all-out anime fan to share your interest with. You may just have to be little more selective in what you chose to share and realize that just because someone doesn't care about anime in general doesn't mean that they may not be interested in specific titles.
kurikuri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
This is in response to the very first post of this thread:

Things like that happen, and thus in order to not feel alone its better to be apart of a community, such as ANN for example. Maybe ANN is too big for you and you want something smaller?

I have discovered one of the greatest things ever to supplement my anime desire, and also it makes me feel "Part" of a great community. I live in the most barren place ever... Anyway, go and check out www.otakumag.co.za. It's pretty tricky to get that magazine here in oz since it is made in South Africa, but I have a copy and it is absolutely amazing - it really is quite a departure from Newtype and Anime insider.

Anyway my main point is that their forum on their site is a little smaller, but it's growing and they have got a really nice cmmunity growing there!

But anyway, dont feel lonely mate, ANN's community is the best I've seen yet!
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:21 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
HUH Question

I don't think they hand you the Nobel Prize for Literature when nobody in the world appreciates your most famous work. Maybe nobody in your world, but there are lots of Marquez fans out there.
Like the issue with the lack of interest of my favorite anime in "my world," I'm talking about people I meet in everyday life. Of course I'm aware that a work that receives something as big as a Nobel Prize has to be at least quite popular somewhere. I don't blame you, though, my post was indeed vague.

Though I must add an extra point that the little rant of mine was not complaining about non-anime fans in general, since I'm actually very laid back about it and, unlike the impression I get from many anime fans here, not hell-bent on converting the world to Haruhiism or anything of such nature. I was "complaining" (tongue-in-cheek) about the anime fans I actually get to see their faces and talk with and how I'm just about nothing like them; I never even downloaded a single Naruto episode, much less be expected to talk about them!

Not that I was ever an advocate of "stick to yer own group and must share similar interests" when it comes to friends.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Praise.

Embarassed You're too sweet.

Winter Days has a wikipedia entry, I just noticed. Wow, that sounds even more unique that Glassy Ocean. A minute or two of animation illustrating a stanza?

It's very, very unique--possibly the closest anime to experimental art film I've ever seen. The only drawback is that it's a very mixed bag; some stanzas are strokes of obvious genius (ironically, it's the Russian animators who provided the most memorable sequences), while others are quite poorly done.

Here are a few of the high points (I feel no shame at all linking to these, since they are only segments and the animation is so obscure). I'm sad there's no way for you to see Aleksandr Petrov's contribution--his piece is the shining jewel of the entire animation, imo (although Norstein's is damn good). He's a paint-on-glass animator, and his technique is absolutely mind-blowing. Imagine 10,000 frames of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Here are a few of the high points (I feel no shame at all linking to these, since they are only segments and the animation is so obscure).
The sad thing is, I don't understand Japanese -- so I'll never get what the poems are saying. That would only further my interest in what the animators are "seeing." Alas.

Though from only three pieces in it I could see there's quite a large and very interesting variety.
Cloe wrote:
I'm sad there's no way for you to see Aleksandr Petrov's contribution--his piece is the shining jewel of the entire animation, imo (although Norstein's is damn good). He's a paint-on-glass animator, and his technique is absolutely mind-blowing. Imagine 10,000 frames of this.
That sounds...wow. Do you mean he paints, for example, a scene on a glass background, then slowly manipulate that scene to create animation?
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The sad thing is, I don't understand Japanese -- so I'll never get what the poems are saying. That would only further my interest in what the animators are "seeing." Alas.

Alas, indeed. Unfortunately for us, there is practically no audience for this type of work outside the independent film and animation circuit and art house theaters, so the chances of it becoming licensed... or even fansubbed, for that matter, are close to nothing.

That sounds...wow. Do you mean he paints, for example, a scene on a glass background, then slowly manipulate that scene to create animation?

Precisely. From Wikipedia, concerning Petrov's film The Old Man and the Sea:

"Technically impressive, the film is made entirely in pastel oil paintings on glass, a technique mastered by only a handful of animators in the world. By using his fingertips instead of a paintbrush on different glass sheets positioned on multiple levels, each covered with slow-drying oil paints, he was able to add depth to his paintings. After photographing each frame painted on the glass sheets, which was four times larger than the usual A4-sized canvas, he had to slightly modify the painting for the next frame and so on. It took Alexandr Petrov over two years, from March 1997 through April 1999, to paint each of the 29,000+ frames."

My favorite animation of Petrov's is a somber short film (like most Russian animation) called "The Cow," created in the same manner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone! Overall the anime fans still don't like me, but I think I've figured it's the company I keep. They seem to associate me with my friends who make fun of anime and all that. Although I think it's wrong of them to automatically assume I'm like that also I can understand how they feel. I also find them being more devoted fans and I just don't feel too comfortable having casual discussions with them. They can be very enthusiastic about they're shows and I'm more into a comfortable laid back discussion.

My causal non-anime friends... I don't really feel I should make them like anime so I haven't subjected them to it and them being into anime isn't all that important to me as we share a lot more other things in common.

I have found a friend who is inetersted in anime, but she isn't really into things I like, but what counts is that we can have a friendly discussion about anime all together and neither of us really fit with the anime club kids and we share interests outside of anime.

I have found ANN a good place to have anime discussions as well but it is maybe too large a commnity so I'd like to say thanks to the member who suggested me to a small community, I'll check that out.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:

I have found ANN a good place to have anime discussions as well but it is maybe too large a commnity so I'd like to say thanks to the member who suggested me to a small community, I'll check that out.

i definately agree, ANN is a very good place to talk about anime maturely. learning new titles, debating relations, etc i have grown fond of ANN though i rarely post, i tend to browse more than post. i have learned of many series from this benevolent place from which i have grown to like very much. haha

its also hard for me to find anime fans in real life who will actually be fun to talk too. alot of kids at my school are into anime i see them wearing stuff like trigun shirts, FMA bookbags and quite a few purses. however they all seem to be into the same thing naruto/bleach/inuyasha mainly and i kind of get the feeling they are trying to see who knows more about what series and such so i get a negative feeling when i try to talk to them. i have had some good conversations but alot of them ended way too quick. there are some bastards in school who do make fun of anime fans in school i noticed, i have never personally been made fun of because i ususally leave anime from school out this includes no accessories. the ones who wear shirts, carry bags, read manga in school are usually the ones who get made fun of, i see this happen and just try to ignore it though im thinkin in my head "frikken close-minded bastards!!!"

i actually dont know many friends in school.... but i have this long time friend since 2nd grade I've gotton him pretty deep into anime, he's like a sponge absorbing every anime series i throw at him mainly the ones not shown on basic cable. so i guess im a lil luckier :/ i wish i knew some more people i could talk about though about more mature things in anime instead of just the action parts but i guess ann is there for me. lucky for me my brother is starting to get into anime and i move in with him next year
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3