• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paprika *not* nominated for Golden Globe

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
The Golden Globe nominations are officially out and Paprika has not been selected to compete in the Animated Film category. Cars, Happy Feet, and Monster House will all be competing for the award. Interesting nomination choices IMO since Cars was pretty much a guaranteed nominee.

Quick question though: has Paprika been screened in LA yet?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it had a minimal run at 10 a.m. for a couple of days at Laemmle's Grand 4-Plex towards the end of November, but, according to a couple of other forum goers, the cinema is a literal hole in the ground, and the screenings were poorly-attended.

I suspect Sony just gave it the most minimal possible release so that the total number of eligible animated films would be 16, activating the two extra nomination slots for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, all but ensuring that at least Monster House and possibly also Open Season would get nominated for the Oscar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Yes, it had a minimal run at 10 a.m. for a couple of days at Laemmle's Grand 4-Plex towards the end of November, but, according to a couple of other forum goers, the cinema is a literal hole in the ground, and the screenings were poorly-attended.

Yeah the theater was a hole in the ground next to the Marriot (I think it was) and the seating was even stadium style. But since there was no one there you didn't really have to worry about anyone's head being in the way.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Probably the reason why Paprika wasn't nominated was because they didn't want a really good foreign film compete with their crappy animated films.Seriously there's only a handful of good movies that come out these days. They're running out of ideas. Also has anyone realized that all animated movies in the US now are all CG and no hand drawn ones are ever made?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Probably the reason why Paprika wasn't nominated was because they didn't want a really good foreign film compete with their crappy animated films.

What are you saying that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association intentionally snub Paprika? I mean come on, it's just that Paprika only played for 6 days and I doubt that HFPA had anyone see the movie. It's not like Paprika had a chance anyways, everyone know that Happy Feet is the winner because of the box office results.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1