• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Bleach Arc

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
The otherday I decided to goto the Wikipedia for Bleach to look up something and I happened to notice in the episodes guide, that they have Arc 5 listed as starting with episode 109.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bleach_episodes

"Ichigo and Rukia, Thoughts in the Revolving Sky"
"Ichigo to Rukia, kaiten suru omoi" (一護とルキア、廻天する想い) - Airdate: 12/27/2006

I have sort of a 2 part question. Part1 is specific to Bleach itself. Does anyone know where this new arc will pickup in relation to the manga since the whole Bounto arc is anime only?

Part2 is more of a general question regarding Japanesse television seasons & anime. Typically, a season consists of approx 13 episodes. I think thats pretty standard for shows here in the States as well. But, I've noticed, particulary in regards to Bleach & Naruto that they don't really seem to have any sort of breaks between season like shows do here. Is there a reason for this? I guess what I'm getting at is, it seems like that would be a better alternative to making a bunch of lower rate filler episodes that most people seem to hate. Plus you could give the manga a chance to catch up. Not that I'm bitching about fillers, as you have a choice to watch or not. But I was just curious if anyone that knows more about it than myself had any insight.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
pyrex wrote:
The otherday I decided to goto the Wikipedia for Bleach to look up something and I happened to notice in the episodes guide, that they have Arc 5 listed as starting with episode 109.

I think that was just speculation. A summary has surfaced now, and it seems like, while it could be the wrap-up for the arc, it's still part of the filler arc.

The anime kind of left off at chapter 183... the line has been blurred a little bit because they kept in some parts to use for the filler.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
Don't know about the first, but to answer the second, shows based on long-running shonen manga typically do run straight, or more specifically, in four 13 episode seasons per year (for a total of 52 episodes). You'll note that roughly every 13 episodes such shows typically change endings, and roughly every 26 they tend to change openings (or some similar schedule).

Ususally on Japanese TV there are at least 2-4 "52" episodes that run for a whole year, to be replaced by the next year's 52 series (such as Gundam, Kiba, and FMA), and then several 13 and several 26 episode series. If a 13 does really well then they'll get another run of 13-26 episodes. They seem to do this more often these days than they used to. What they do NOT typically do is the true American model of running a show half a year on (~22 eps) and then half a year off. They're a bit closer to the British model of just running what they feel like running, and then stopping until they have something else they want to run.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Based on how things have been going, episode 109 seems like a likely spot to resume the main story. I haven't read the manga beyond what Viz has released, but the Bounto arc is wrapping up and I can't see the fighting dragging out beyond another two episodes. In addition, 109 would make sense as it would be the first episode of a DVD. On the other hand, it would make sense if they waited a few more episodes and started at 113 which would be the beginning of the new year (and the new season). I could see them winding down with some "thoughts" or memories of what has happened so far (read: recap) until 113.

Quote:
Part2 is more of a general question regarding Japanesse television seasons & anime. Typically, a season consists of approx 13 episodes. I think thats pretty standard for shows here in the States as well. But, I've noticed, particulary in regards to Bleach & Naruto that they don't really seem to have any sort of breaks between season like shows do here. Is there a reason for this? I guess what I'm getting at is, it seems like that would be a better alternative to making a bunch of lower rate filler episodes that most people seem to hate. Plus you could give the manga a chance to catch up. Not that I'm bitching about fillers, as you have a choice to watch or not. But I was just curious if anyone that knows more about it than myself had any insight.

The anime seasons in Japan are divided into quarters (Jan-March, April-July, etc.) and are usually 12 or 13 episodes (11 or 14 is not unheard of though). Long running series like Bleach and Naruto don't usually use these seasons for anything beyond deciding when to change the openings and ending.

I'm not sure for the exact reasons that Japan doesn't do breaks or re-runs, but I would imagine it is related to ratings. They probabably fear, correctly or not, that if they took a break they would lose far more viewers than if they just dragged it out via filler episodes.

EDIT: Episode 110 is up now, too. It is called "Reopening of the Substitute Business! The Terrifying Transfer Student". Sounds like it could be from the manga, but I'm not sure as I haven't read it.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
What they do NOT typically do is the true American model of running a show half a year on (~22 eps) and then half a year off. They're a bit closer to the British model of just running what they feel like running, and then stopping until they have something else they want to run.

HitokiriShadow
Quote:
I'm not sure for the exact reasons that Japan doesn't do breaks or re-runs, but I would imagine it is related to ratings. They probabably fear, correctly or not, that if they took a break they would lose far more viewers than if they just dragged it out via filler episodes.

I wish American TV would do things along those lines as well. I can't begin to tell you how often I've lost interest in a show due to the fact that they stop for six months or start showing reruns for 2 or 3 months right after the Sweeps. Evil or Very Mad Pisses me off!
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
EDIT: Episode 110 is up now, too. It is called "Reopening of the Substitute Business! The Terrifying Transfer Student". Sounds like it could be from the manga, but I'm not sure as I haven't read it.

Hmm... sure sounds like it Very Happy That will be chapters 183 to possible some of 185.
pyrex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Hmm... sure sounds like it Very Happy That will be chapters 183 to possible some of 185.

That's terrific. So it seems like the new arc is on target to pick back up with the the manga.

LydiaDianne wrote:

I wish American TV would do things along those lines as well. I can't begin to tell you how often I've lost interest in a show due to the fact that they stop for six months or start showing reruns for 2 or 3 months right after the Sweeps. Evil or Very Mad Pisses me off!

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with you here. Not that the Bounto arc was bad(atleast in contrast to all the Naruto mini-arcs that are ongoing). I don't think I could stand a six month gap in the series. But then in comparison to Naruto, I think all of the sub-par arc's hurt the series(atleast in my eyes) as opposed to taking a breaking and letting the manga catch up.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:

it sounds very much from the manga, then again it could be filler too. we will jsut have to wait.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
i JUST caught up in the bleach manga (chapter 256, but i need to FIND more) and i REALLY wanna see the main storyline. this will be awesome. in the manga though im surprised kenpachi hasn't made it on the scene yet.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
The anime team has done it again and released another huge spoiler in one of the card game commercials that aired with the latest episode. So if you normally watch with the commericals, be careful Anime smile + sweatdrop

I think this solidifies things a bit though. They just updated Naruto's card game to match the anime progress.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
A 1/10 date for the new arc has been confirmed by VJump. Scan (warning: small spoilers) courtesy of Bleach7.

Edit: It has now been confirmed by Shonen Jump. The title for 111 has also been released along with the synopsis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1