• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dai-Guard: It's Fun!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I first saw the first two episodes of the on Cartoon Network a few years ago when they were doing a Giant Robot week. They also showed episodes of Martian Successor Nadesico and EVA. And because of that, this one stayed on the back of my mind, so when TSRI had the ADV sale, I bought it.

I just finished watching this and I have to say that I enjoyed the heck out of it. I'm not a really big Mecha fan but I did like this one.

The giant robot Dai-Guard was developed to defend Japan and it's people against the monsters call Heterodyne. But, 12 years before this story begins the Heterodynes where bombed and haven't been seen until "today." During that time, Dai-Guard became the symbol and promotional tool of 21st Century Security Corp. When a Heterodyne suddenly appears, the Promotional Department leaped into action and saved the day! Not without causing a whole lot of damage to Dai-Guard and the surroundings! Darn Civilians! Wink

The cast of characters is fairly stereotypical. The 3 pilots of Dai-Guard are:

Akagi, the lead pilot who is a good-hearted guy and salary man. He doesn't seem to suffer from the suicidal despair, congenital spinelessness or whininess that a lot of Mecha pilots seem to have. He just wants to protect and defend his friends, the city/country and the people who live there.

Ibuki, the navigator is an office lady with a tragic past. Her birth father was the one that initially developed the possibility of the Heterodyne but was laughed at and ignored. He spoiler[was killed when the first Heterodyne appeared.] Ibuki has difficulty accepting the truth about her father and difficulty understanding her step-father.

Aoyama, the engineer, was quite content being a salary man and taking care of his sick mother. Not to mention being a bit of a flirt (which the VA Miki Shinichiro seems to fit so well!). He's possibly the most sensible out of the entire group but ends up with the same zeal for protecting those around him.

The rest of the cast are also fairly typical: The mysterious President of the company and his secretary who's related to Akagi, the board of Directors who consist of sneaky snakes, The Promotional division chief with the bad comb-over. There is also the "big sister" office lady and her subordinates: the shy four-eyes, the kogal and the humorous flirt. There are also various other salarymen, mechanics and the underage mad scientist.

And if the Heterodyne is not enough for you as villians, there are: Shirota, an army observer (spy) who becomes something more to our intrepid heroes; Saeki, Shirota's junior who finally learns that the manual isn't everything. And last, but not least, various Army officers who hate that civilians are kicking Heterodyne butt and making them look like fools.

This is 26 episodes and while there are sad parts, none of them made me cry. I laughed more instead. This is really a "feel good" Mecha series that says teamwork is the best and protecting people is more important than saving face.

I really recommend this one if you want to watch a Mecha series and not have to worry about straining the brain or using too much kleenex.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked this show because it actually focused around the Financial Problems that a GIANT ROBOT would cause for the gov. and the city.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak6969 wrote:
I actually liked this show because it actually focused around the Financial Problems that a GIANT ROBOT would cause for the gov. and the city.

Laughing

Yeah, that's never mentioned in all of the other anime shows is it...

I wonder if the insurance companies refuse to insure 21st Century like they try and do to the people in Florida and the rest of the Gulf Coast because of the hurricanes along there.

But, if you think about it...the Robot just walking along the street would cause tremendous damage not only to the asphalt but the the water, gas and electrical pipes underneath. I'm not sure how much it costs when there is an accidental breakage due to age, but can you imagine the cost of a mile or more of street after a Giant Robot has walked down it?

I wonder if anyone has ever, just for fun, did a cost breakdown for that sort of thing or what the cost breakdown would be after a battle! Not only street damage but building damage, repair and replacement as well. Just the Labor alone would be astronomical Shocked I would imagine.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, that would be quite a bit, if anyone does break all that down then i DEFINATELY want to see that.............so much money........

however some shows are void of that problem, like any show set in a some-what distant future then everything could easily be tough enough to handle a giant robot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1