• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime With Bad Reviews Yet You Enjoyed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
My guilty pleasure Saiyuki, it received a bad score here on ANN and its female fans are labeled as yaoi fangirls -I'm not into yaoi BTW- but I enjoyed it -it was hilarious, especially the verbal fights between Gokou and Gojyo, the characters overall were likeable, the art was gorgeous and some of the boys, um, were good to look at Anime hyper
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
It would be Girls Bravo for me. What made me like it most was that I could really relate to Yukinari so I really enjoyed the story and the characters. I also really liked the music and was sad that the opening and ending themes were not on the season 2 sountrack.
CGord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
...My choice is Steamboy. While I wouldn't say that the reviews for this film were necessarily bad, they were mediocre at best and it just never seemed to get a very warm reception from most. I personally disagree with the gripes about the film though...

Wow! I never checked any reviews of Steamboy out, but I'm surprised to hear it wasn't received warmly. I thought it was fantastic!
Mr. Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
...My choice is Steamboy. While I wouldn't say that the reviews for this film were necessarily bad, they were mediocre at best and it just never seemed to get a very warm reception from most. I personally disagree with the gripes about the film though...

Wow! I never checked any reviews of Steamboy out, but I'm surprised to hear it wasn't received warmly. I thought it was fantastic!

I agree. I got the SE for my birthday a little whlie back and [/b]loved[b] it.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm 8 days late...

Deltakiral wrote:
It hasn't been licensed yet because Kyoto Animation is sitting on the rights until they get the money they want. Melancholy is probably the biggest anime in quite some time (In Japan), although I don't know if that will transfer over into big sales on this side of the pacific.

So more then likely ADV is waiting for the price to drop since they took such a beating on Azumanga Daioh which was suppose to be the series over here in the US.

Um, wrong. It's Kadokawa Shoten that has the Haruhi rights and they said at Anime Expo that Haruhi is being pursued by various companies. All that matters is that tMoHS will be out in 2007.
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
the Beyblade anime has some pretty bad reviews. That's my number 1 favorite anime. I cherish the characters in it more than anything about it.

I simply adore Takao, he's so loyal to his friends, would do anything to protect them.

I will always cherish the Beyblade anime forever and ever.
akitainu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:47 am Reply with quote
For me, Hand Maid May is pure gold.
If I say that out loud in the presence of the few anime fans I know, I will be pelted with beer cans and matches and anything small and close at hand.
But, dear god, I love that show.
It is fluff and fan service and perhaps that is the magic. I love the OP song, and I cried at the end (yea, I'm a great big sissy).
Now, in all honesty, there are about 23 other shows that I could give a slow fool's testimonial ...
But for quickness (and job security) May will suffice.
Zombie Youth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The Daichis - Earth's Defense Family. For sure, the most underrated anime I have seen. It got good reviews from ann, which probably express it better than I can:
animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=772
animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=833
But for some reason it only has 18 ratings, and they aren't very good. It's one of my favorites, and seeing it at #2320 is just wrong Crying or Very sad.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

Steamboy got bad ratings? That movie was excellent! The story was a little strange, but the animation was absolutely beautiful, and it was very fun to watch!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Though this one is not for little kids, I just remembered Mission of Darkness. I've gone to other places and reviews for this show, and people have just torn it up. Reason I like this show (forget about the sex for a moment) was because of the comedic elements that gave this show its shining moments. When they're trying to figure out how to beat the monster, and what happens after that.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
aa

Last edited by Drowning_Wolf on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
akitainu wrote:
For me, Hand Maid May is pure gold.
If I say that out loud in the presence of the few anime fans I know, I will be pelted with beer cans and matches and anything small and close at hand.
But, dear god, I love that show.
It is fluff and fan service and perhaps that is the magic. I love the OP song, and I cried at the end (yea, I'm a great big sissy).
Now, in all honesty, there are about 23 other shows that I could give a slow fool's testimonial ...
But for quickness (and job security) May will suffice.

I've seen Hand Maid May get some decent reviews, but it's gotten bad ones also. I really like it though. From a glance, it looks like simply some stupid fanservice-y anime and nothing else. My mom bought a VHS of it for $2, and I didn't even watch it for a long time because I assumed it wouldn't be any good. One day, I got bored and watched it, and I was surprised. It does have a lot of fan service (which took a bit to get used to, though it doesn't really bug me), but it was actually funny and cute, and had good characters, music, and animation. I ended up buying the DVD box set. I don't think Hand Maid May is the greatest anime, but it's still good and very fun to watch.

I read quite a bit of reviews to find new anime to watch. I usually watch anime with mostly good reviews, so I can't think of another anime I could mention here. I didn't even really think of mentioning Hand Maid May until I saw that post.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
ok, mine would be Lamune. I agree, it has bad animation and some times the voice actors try to hard to sound cute. and yea its a harem with stock characters. But i liked its super calm and easy characters. It was entertaining, not comedy, not soul crshing, just easy enjoyale entertainment with enough material to make you keep watching.

GITS 2 got bad reviews ( well bad for a "A" title ). I think its brilliant and deep, the dialog is deep, but more than that is the visual elements that are present in the work. My favorite part is the endless mansion loop. the symbolism in it worths a lot. really a master piece.
dambuilder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
The only anime that currently comes to my mind is that relatively obscure OVA Lily C.A.T.. It was uniformly trashed as a blatant Alien rip-off when it was released in Germany, but I highly enjoyed myself watching this. Back then I was thinking the fact, that I hadn't seen any part of Alien before might have played a part in this. However, when I *did* watch the first movie I fell asleep from boredom, so my liking of the anime might remain a mystery. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4