• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira Vs Ninja scroll

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akamatsu fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
Reacently i had a fight with my friend about which movie was better. I said ninja scroll because of the action but my friend said akira because of the story line. Can someone make a deciding vote on which is better.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
Akamatsu fan wrote:
Reacently i had a fight with my friend about which movie was better. I said ninja scroll because of the action but my friend said akira because of the story line. Can someone make a deciding vote on which is better.

As to which one is 'better' is all a matter of personal preference, but I'd say depending where you are, Akira is more popular since it is more of an arthouse film compared to Ninja Scroll. Akira also broke quite a few people in to anime, and is still to this day one of the greatest examples of properly done, expensive Japanese animation.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
Im gonna have to agree with Steve here on this one, as to which one is BETTER thats up to the people who watch it but Akira definately laid some groundwork for what WELL-DONE anime should be like, while Ninja Scroll was just a good action flick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
I've seen Ninja Scroll once (the rape scenes will make it stay that) but Akira 4 times (it's my favorite anime movie). I think Akira is better like freak and Steve said. I think the graphic violence was awesome (especially when Tetsuo has his organs fall out. Real sick and cool) to the point where it is one of the best (and most gruesome) anime ever.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

... and is still to this day one of the greatest examples of properly done, expensive Japanese animation.

Not only that, it symbolizes a lot of cultural meanings of 1980's Japan. One example is the final scene, which takes place in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics Stadium. The interpretation is that the single course of industrialization and modernization that occurred between 1964 to 1980 (which was symbolized by the 1964 Tokyo Olympics when a tall, healthy-looking 19 year old man born in Hiroshima after the bomb was dropped held the torch, symbolizing the recovery of Japan from WWII to the international audience) was not agreeable (won't go in-depth on that), and that from 1980 and on could be different. The destruction of Neo-Tokyo in Akira symbolizes Japan's wish to return to 1964 to "open up" their future into a different direction from the 1980's perspective. Well, that's a small gist of what Akira represents from a cultural perspective.

Compared to that, I have no idea what Ninja Scroll is supposed to represent, if it indeed represents anything of importance.

/Sharing a small tidbit of what I learned this semester... I have a final for this next Tuesday. T.T
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
WOW, i had no idea about any of that, thats pretty deep signifying the modernization of Japan through the destuction of Tetsuo and powers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:

/Sharing a small tidbit of what I learned this semester... I have a final for this next Tuesday. T.T

What are you studying?

Japanese? Classical Studies?
Azathrael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
The class is a 200 level course called Introduction to Japanese Culture. In my opinion, the class is oriented toward teaching my professor's personal critical analysis of Japanese modern history from a cultural perspective, supported by a number of books that we have to read for class. All the culture we learn is heavily related to human nature and the changing concept of language (which is his "critical analysis" part, I'm assuming). He's a crazy Japanese professor who dropped out of high school, lived with fishermen in New Zealand, graduated Harvard grad school, got deported out of Russia by the KGB, and now teaches this 200 level and a 500 level course at my university. I think he exaggerated the KGB part but it didn't seem like he was lying completely so he's a pretty smart and amazing guy.

/"Uhh yeah, the KGB thought I was a dangerous guy because of some of the stuff I teach so they kicked me out of the country. But I'm friends with the two guys who always followed me around." hahaha
zombie828

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
it is one of the best (and most gruesome) anime ever.

You know nothing about gruesome anime if you think Akira is one of the most guesome anime ever.
Although the monster at the end accidentally crushing his girlfriend was pretty awesome. It was the first real violent anime scene I had ever seen, and it was the most disturbing thing I had ever seen (I was like 7). :P
Ninja Scroll was definitely more violent, while Akira just had a few slightly disturbing scenes.

I preferred Ninja Scroll, simply because I just prefer simple action flicks. Akira had a lot more to it though.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:40 am Reply with quote
I just recently rewatched both films. I'm amazed at how Akira still feels modern considering that it is older than Ninja Scroll. Much like Ghost in the Shell, it is a film that I've seen many times and continue to enjoy, I love how the 3 kids past is told without dialog, and the film lacks narration. It is a risk on the film's part (this reminds me of the theatrical cut of Blade Runner) to hope that the audience will "get it" or rewatch it. I'm still debating on buying the DTS edition since the otherwise gorgeous metal tin edition isn't even encoded in 5.1.

Ninja Scroll has had the opposite effect on me. I thought it was rather generic, although well animated when it was first released. My first impression of the film reminded me of a shorter, less epic version of Kamui, When I played it again a few months ago, I had a hard time getting through it. I also have the same problem with Basilisk and the Ninja Scroll tv series since they don't seem to introduce that many new elements to the ninja genre. I should also mention that I tend not to like shows that follow a shonen structure. The framework with mini bosses and final boss, good guy versus bad guys, just annoys me. The whole idea of a carefree noble wanderer getting roped into saving a hapless girl also doesn't interest me. It all seems so structurally conservative. I can understand why people love shows like Ninja Scroll (and the ever popular Kenshin) but sorry, I personally am not a fan.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Scroll broke many people into anime just as Akira did. I persoanlly think they're both master pieces and show how you're supposed to make good anime. Yes Akira carries a more.....deep and envolved plot, then Ninja Scroll. Ninja Scroll though carries its own weight in terms of plot and what it does best is give a great plot with great action to go with it. There's no trade off in terms of more action for less plot or vice versa. To me determining which one is better is like determining which is more important; breathing air or drinking water Confused
THROBBING GRISTLE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
You can't really compare Akira to Ninja Scroll IMO. They are both fantastic Anime's, but a completely different genre. Guess it's the personal preference that decides here. I like them both, but it was Akira that dragged me into the world of Japanese Anime like 18 years ago. Back then, Anime's where sold on VHS, since DVD's didn't exist. And they where rare and expensive, because it was all import, for a very small audience.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Ninja Scroll, but I saw Akira for the first time two weeks ago. I really want to see it again! The plot is engaging, it's gruesome (I'm a gore freak), and the animation is the best I've ever seen. The animation alone blew me away. It was very detailed, and you could tell how much effort and care was put into each cell. You can't get that with today's CGI. And it didn't feel dated at all. The problems faced in Akira are still present today.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
it's gruesome (I'm a gore freak)

Then you'll love Ninja Scroll. The first 10 minutes are full of red paint and dismembered bodies all over the place. You might not like the sex and rape, though.

As for the two movies, I like them both. Each represents their own genres very well and serves as sort of a landmark in their own rights. Akira makes for great sci-fi, while NS is straight-up blood and violence . It just depends on your preference, though I happen to like both Razz.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Ninja Scroll. I found Akira to be boring and somewhat uninteresting when I recently rewatched it. I'll admit though that Akira was one the first anime titles I bought so it's got that special place in my heart. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1