• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Do you read posts?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TcDohl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I've heard someone say that people don't read on the internet. They skim. With that said, I find that people in a large share of places in the internet don't seem to take the time to read and understand, especially in a message board setting. I also find that quite often, when people make posts, they often ignore stuff said even in the previous post, and get their two cents in simply from the title of the thread without knowing any context. Though I do understand that reading is often a time consuming activity, and something that is more than seven lines seems daunting to a fast-paced MTV ADD world. As for myself, I always try to read everything before getting my opinions in, which is in line with my belief of always having an informed opinion.

Now, what are your habits in reading and posting in a message board?
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Why would you type more than 7 lines telling us this in this fast-past MTV, ADD world?

and for me it all depends how awake i am or if im time constrained, otherwise i'll try to read most of whats there before type anything
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I love how MTV is fast-paced and is so much better than reading as well. Smile

I understand why you would create this thread, it is difficult to have discussions when people post in threads that they haven't actually read through. Other than simply bringing it to their attention that it's counterproductive, I don't really know how your going to stop people from doing it.

I wonder if they ignore what people say to them in person as well and simply wait for their turn to talk.

I'm usually on here reading old discussion threads and not posting anyway. When I do, I always read through the whole thread; I often find someone has already said what I was going to say, so I just don't post.

P.S. That's the first emoticon I've ever used; I'm tired of people not getting my jokes.

Edit: I don't know if animefreak is making the same joke or not, so I'll just leave it.

Last edited by varmintx on Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:46 pm; edited 16 times in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Unless the thread is over 30 pages long and the arguement goes around in circles (fansub arguements, sub vs. dubs), I read all posts in threads. Thankfully, often times people provide summaries for threads with that long of length, which I greatly appretiate. I try not to post in those anyway though. Otherwise, I don't what the point in discussing topics would be if you don't read other's opinions. They wouldn't really be discussions actually...
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
If it's not worth reading, it's not worth my time to post. So yes, I actually read everything in every thread I post in (obvious exceptions go those 30+ page threads that I hadn't been around when they started).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
creativename

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I never read through threads with more than about 50 posts. Don't have the patience. For long threads I just read the OP, the first few posts, and the last few posts. If the thread is only about 75 posts I'll skim the ones that look important.

I do try to make sure that I understand the thread very well before responding.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I won't be afraid to admit that I can be a skimmer, and sometimes I find it unreasonable to read absolutely every post. It helps from repeated opinions and agreements, yes, but if the topic is already more than 20 pages long I probably won't bother to sit down and read through every single post. What I see happening even more often lately, though, is people who don't even bother to read the first post, rather than previous posts before posting their opinion (cough) Gaia, anyone?

Although, it is irritating to have people bring up discussions that have already been brought up before if the topic is reasonably sized, and even then I at least try to read the first few pages in addition to the last few posts shown in the reply page. If I'm going to read the entire topic, it'd better be interesting discussion, but I at least want to make sure I understand the thread before I make myself look like a fool.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
TcDohl wrote:
?

no

anyone like inuyasha?
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
TcDohl wrote:
?

no

anyone like inuyasha?

OMG, i do I LOOOOOOOOVE Inuyasha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak6969 wrote:

OMG, i do I LOOOOOOOOVE Inuyasha

I told you, don't ever reply to my posts, don't speak to me, you're not funny, never will be, and even if I;m not funny, stop trying to be budies with me, even if it's for the sake of 'comedy'.

Snarky-ness aside, I haven't really read many posts on these forums recently, but I can sort of tell what people are talking about from recent posts. I don't read an entire thread if I don't have to, but sometimes I do.

Also, OP, do you post on the SA forums?
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't skim, but I look at the first two sentences of a post. ANN, for example, is a "decent" website. It's not CNN or NYTimes and there are a few worthless posts (looks above) that I've mastered in ignoring for any post that looks worthy of reading. Anyone who can't separate into paragraphs, spell (or use spellcheck), or can't tell the difference between "there" and "their" are usually not worth my time either.

The way I read posts on ANN is to read and remember the aliases instead of the posts. People who post good content almost always do so. People who don't never do.

/If only the forums had a minimum-number-of-words-per-post requirement. T.T
TcDohl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Also, OP, do you post on the SA forums?

No, but I'm a 4channer. But that's a whole different thing, because there, you're expected to be stupid, boorish, and politically incorrect. But on a REAL message board, I want to have a REAL discussion with intelligence. If I wanted a good round of shites and giggles with the lowest common denominator, then I go to 4chan, but when I post here, I expect a higher level of coherence and understanding. It's all about bringing the right things to the right places.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
This is very off topic. But yeah. Of course I read posts. A lot of what people write on this site is very intresting. I even read spam topics like that guy who's been posting Myspace links since some of them are just SO ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I told you, don't ever reply to my posts, don't speak to me, you're not funny, never will be, and even if I;m not funny, stop trying to be budies with me, even if it's for the sake of 'comedy'.

And i never pay any attention to that, I wont stop, and im not trying to be funny, and dont care, I never said you were funny? Im already buddies with you and EVERYONE in the world and so I shall not stop.

Snarky-ness aside why the shell did you put anyone like Inuyasha? in the first place you EUNUCH!!! *burp*

Quote:
I even read spam topics like that guy who's been posting Myspace links since some of them are just SO ridiculous.

Like the "All about pills!!" one that popped up last week, i love that still to this day
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I just skimmed this thread... Not sure what everyone said, but the way things look, I think it'd be safe to lock this before it gets out of hand.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1