• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm, in this case, dumb [what are fansubs?]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSmokin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
What is a fansub? I've heard it a lot, and at one point I knew what it was because I asked this question on another site, but I forgot what the responce was.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
BigSmokin wrote:
What is a fansub? I've heard it a lot, and at one point I knew what it was because I asked this question on another site, but I forgot what the responce was.

I only discovered this a while ago myself but a fansub is an anime episode that is taken by an independant group and translated so that fans can see it by way of mainly downloading off the internet. Usually they are episodes of anime that have not been licensed over here, but there are some out there of Naruto and One Piece somewhere. Fansubs are illegal because the producers of the original versions have not given permission to these groups to do such a thing.

BTW, don't ask where to get them here. You won't find any help. Guaranteed.
BigSmokin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I already understand that I won't get any help. I read the rules on another site and fansubs and asking where to get them. This isn't nessisarly asking where to find them, it's clarifying (because this site is HUGE and is talked about all time, including with fansubs). Youtube.com is an example of fansubs episodes, right?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes. For a while ANN had banned linking to youtube, but I guess they decided to be a little leniant to it, as long as people don't post to fansubs.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
BigSmokin wrote:
I already understand that I won't get any help. I read the rules on another site and fansubs and asking where to get them. This isn't nessisarly asking where to find them, it's clarifying (because this site is HUGE and is talked about all time, including with fansubs). Youtube.com is an example of fansubs episodes, right?

Not really. Posters have uploaded fansubs to YouTube, but there are also legit shows posted there.
creativename

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
BigSmokin wrote:
Youtube.com is an example of fansubs episodes, right?

Of the anime on Youtube most of it is fansubs. You can also find dubs too, which is not.

Fansubs are always illegal, though usually people tend to care slightly less before the show is licensed.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Of course, anything uploaded to YouTube is illegal whether fansub or dub unless the licensor gave YouTube rights to the material. As creative said, fansubs are always illegal but in the case of anime that isn't licensed here or a title, such as One Piece, that the licensor completely reworked and offers no unedited alternative most simply don't care. The fansubs on YouTube are of course very low quality compared to the real ones, as is just about anything on YouTube.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
If we split the word up we might get some clues as to what it means. Fan - sub. It is a subtitling of a show, but done by a fan. (Rather than an official company.)

It is done to shows which aren't licensed in the US (and therefore there are no officially/professionally done subtitles.)

The theory behind it is that it allows people to watch series which aren't yet (and may not ever be) translated into English professionally (and legally.) However, it is also quite a big piracy issue - seeing as they are illegal and are usually still available even once a show has been licensed.

You could (although I don't really check youtube,) find a non-fansub subbed anime episode on youtube. That would be a DVD-rip of an official DVD. Which is as illegal and probably less moral. So not all subtitled anime on the internet are fansubbed.

I also remember reading about fandubs. But those are a lot lot rarer. (I would love to see one because it sounds hilarious - total amateurs trying to voice act.) Obviously, instead of the fans doing a subtitle track, they make their own dub track.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
No one ever remembered that ANN has a nice lexicon for questions like these? Rolling Eyes

To BigSmokin: YouTube is a place to store and broadcast video, legal or not. If it's illegal in any way it would be reported (by license holders, for example) and removed. YouTube itself != fansub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I take it the question of "what is a fansub" has been answered now. However, the topic of their affect in the anime community should be discussed in a seperate thread (though do be warned if you don't start it off well, it will be locked because it eventually turns into an endless debate, so please try to bring your A-game to the table).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1