• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
4Kids One Piece is no more

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Thought you'd all be interested in this.

Wondering about the status of the dub (it's being replaced in December, and hasn't had a new episodes in well over 6 months... in America, anyway), I e-mailed Roz Nowicki, a marketing director for 4Kids who handled One Piece, and she has confirmed that no new episodes will be made.

Quote:
Jerry Renault to rnowicki
show details
Dec 4 (18 hours ago) Dear Ms. Nowicki

I was wondering when/if new episodes of One Piece will be premiering soon on Cartoon Network, or any other outlet.

Thank you!

- jerry

[email protected] to me
show details
Dec 4 (14 hours ago) Jerry,

I am sorry to say at this time there are no additional episodes being adapted by 4Kids Entertainment.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best Regards,

Roz Nowicki

Sent From My Blackberry Wireless Handheld

Take this how you will...
CGord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
So do fansubs become acceptable in cases like this?
crow-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
Fansubs were acceptable as soon as 4kids touched it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
crow-kun wrote:
CGord wrote:

fukken quote for fukken truth (though i have issues with the OP fansubs).

This doesn't mean One Piece isn't dropped, it just means they've come to a halt. It'll drop in maybe 2009, but don't assume that means someone will pick it up and re;lease bilingual, uncut DVDs. You're all still screwed as it is.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I still consider no One Piece better than 4Kids One Piece, in any case. No more bs manga influence, at least.

I doubt Toei would let it rot or anything. Sure, Saint Seiya, but that was different - Knights of the Zodiac was an utter failure. One Piece actually managed to generate some interest in the series, and produced a profit.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
That's probably the best news I've heard related to this series. Now we have a chance of possibly someone picking it up and releasing uncut versions, right?
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
crow-kun wrote:
CGord wrote:

For once, I agree. It's best to watch a sub rather than an extremely censored dub with too much kiddy content. Confused It's also best to watch the original before you do a character profile on a certain character from that show. For example: Nami's mom didn't get injured. She died. 4kids said she got injured because they wouldn't even allow death in their show. Sad

Anyways, I think it will drop in probably 2010. But I wish there was an uncut version of the show (I think the uncut version would be licensed by FUNimation).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I hope they at least have the good taste to sell off the rights to the series to Viz or Funimation so they can do better with the series. I mean, it's one of the hugest series in Japan, nearly 300 episodes and still going strong, it shouldn't be too hard to adapt.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Interesting. I hope they at least have the good taste to sell off the rights to the series to Viz or Funimation so they can do better with the series. I mean, it's one of the hugest series in Japan, nearly 300 episodes and still going strong, it shouldn't be too hard to adapt.

Hard? Not really. Expensive? Yes.

Sadly, most companies will probably just look at One Piece's run in the US as a failure.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

You would hope so wouldn't you? Unfortunately, the companies don't seem to do this nearly enough imo. Besides, everyone knows 4kids hates anime fans. [/half-sarcasm]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Frank0115932

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Learn to type properly. -TK]
[Ninja-edit: *<censored> u, i'm re-writing it...* -FZ]
=======================================
selenta wrote:
Besides, everyone knows 4kids hates anime fans.

This is why 4Kids bought the FOXKids block back in '02, to remove all known anime in the block, and replace them with cruddy ones, like the One Piece {U.nited S.uckiness of R.eally B.ad D.ubs in A.merica (U.S.R.B.D.A.)} dub.
And also, did you know that some 4Kids anime i found dicovered on the web have some lolicon, i don't know if they're certified loli, Or fanservice loli, just asking, because i found 2 4Kids anime that has loli in them.
--FZ
=======================================
Ninja-edit: Since Tony K. erased my original version of this reply, i rewrote it to fit his rules, and hence the reply to his edit on top.

Last edited by Frank0115932 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Miho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This Is Why 4Kids Bought The FOXKids Block Back In '02, To Remove All Known Anime In The Block, And Replace Them With Cruddy Ones, Like The One Piece {United Suckiness of Really Bad Dubs in America (USRBDA)} Dub.
And Also, Did You Know That Some 4Kids Anime I Found Dicovered On The Web Have Some Lolicon, I Don't Know If They're Certified Loli, Or FanService Loli, Just Asking, Because I Found 2 4Kids Anime That Has Loli In 'em.

Huh? Since when did any of 4kids' anime have any lolicon material in them? Would you mind telling me where you heard that?

Also, your post is very hard to read.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is still airing in Canada...
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Sadly, most companies will probably just look at One Piece's run in the US as a failure.

On the other hand, most anime companies may attribute that failure to 4Kids - they're not exactly the most liked company in the industry.

If they see it that way, imagine yourself in the company-who'd-pick-it-up's corporate shoes. Everyone hates the One Piece dub, and it's regarded as one of (if not the) worst dub of all time. Now, you could either screw it up, and get a horrible rep, or you could dub it proper and get praise as the company that saved One Piece. Which will it be?

Honestly, I think if Viz were to pick it up after 4Kids, dubbing it without the most intensive care would be corporate suicide.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Frank0115932 wrote:
Quote:
...4kids hates anime fans

This Is Why 4Kids Bought The FOXKids Block Back In '02, To Remove All Known Anime In The Block, And Replace Them With Cruddy Ones, Like The One Piece {United Suckiness of Really Bad Dubs in America (USRBDA)} Dub.
And Also, Did You Know That Some 4Kids Anime I Found Dicovered On The Web Have Some Lolicon, I Don't Know If They're Certified Loli, Or FanService Loli, Just Asking, Because I Found 2 4Kids Anime That Has Loli In 'em.

--The FZ

How many times do I have to warn you about your grammar before you start correcting it? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3