• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Happy" music + violence.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombie828

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love seeing the mix of "happy" music and extreme violence.

In the non-anime movie "Reservoir Dogs" directed by Quentin Tarantino, Mr. Blonde sadistically tortures a police officer to the song "Stuck in the Middle With You". It's lovely.
To a lesser extent in "Blood: The Last Vampire" when Saya fights the two vampires in the school's infirmary with the band's music playing in the background.
There are also a number of flash animations like this in the Ultra Violence collection on Newgrounds.

Does anyone know of any other anime with scenes similar to these examples?
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The "Come, Sweet Death" song from the spoiler[third impact] sequence in End of Evangelion. Even though the lyrics are pretty depressive, the tune is very poppy and light.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Um, I'm thinking this may be a little too cute and happy for your tastes, but Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan involves an angel who brutally kills people (well, mainly Sakura)... You can find the opening on youtube if you look the anime up... Oh ya, here's this...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I immediately thought of the same Evangelion scene on seeing the title.. and it's such an clear example that I can't think past it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sykosteve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
not really a violent scene, but how about the finale in Metropolis?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Enjeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Gunslinger Girl has it's share of classical music with a dose of violence.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:

My Dad has that song on a tape he sometimes plays in the car.. every time I hear it I see buildings crashing down. First time I had no idea why, but then it twigged.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
In R.O.D. the movie when Beethovens 9th was playing while those Communication guys were all commiting suicide. In the episode of EVA when the 16th angel (forgot his name) was destroying everythin to the tune of Beethovens 9th. When the leader of the black spider gang in HunterxHunter was destroying the city and killing all those people some syphony music was playing. Oh jeeze I can't remember the really good ones but here are a few...
zombie828

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
I watched all of Dokuro-chan today and loved it. However it was much more of a comedy and wasn't exactly what I was looking for from the purpose of this thread.

I forgot about Evangelion, it had a lot of great scenes using wonderful music. "Ode to Joy" and "Air on a G String" are some of my favourite songs, and I adored the scene in the movie when Shinji first loses it and strangles Asuka. But Evangelion wasn't exactly all that violent/bloody ... it was still a great series and movie though.

I'll check out the other animes you guys have suggested and would love to hear any other suggestions people might have. But unfortunately I don't think my "violent gorey massacre with super happy music" anime exists outside of animes using Beethoven's 9th.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to come up with something that was played during an actual scene but I guess I'll have to think a bit harder on that.

However I do recall a couple of series that sometimes end in a brutal battle and sometimes a blood bath and immediately cue the cutesy pop ending theme. Like Elfen Lied plays some of the most eerie music during the episodes and then at the end cues up "Be Your Girl" which is somewhat fitting in a weird way.

And series like Bleach and Rurouni Kenshin sometimes do the same thing with the ending themes. Not as surprising when the episodes have a rather friendly ending, but when someone is left standing in the midst of blood and that pop music hits it can sound a bit strange and yet again sometimes fitting.

As for upbeat music during a violent scene, I almost want to say it may have happenned once or twice in Cowboy Bebop just because the music is so versatile in that show that I can imagine them playing anything at any point, but I haven't seen the show in a couple of years so it is hard to remember if it actually happens or not.

This is an interesting topic, I'd also like to read some more examples of the upbeat music in violent scenes too if anyone can come up with some. I know it has probably happenned in some of the shows I have seen but I keep drawing a blank when I try to think of one.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
I think it'll generally involve the character getting tipped off his rocker to have happy music be appropriate for that kind of scene.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gamaker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't actually play the happy song in a violent scene, but in Gantz Gantz himself always plays a really cheerfull song (can't really remember the name) before he introduces the 'alien' and the killing begins.

Though in the same show you also have those homeless-beating guys, who whistle that same song and sing it while they bat those homeless guys to death.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Gamaker wrote:
It doesn't actually play the happy song in a violent scene, but in Gantz Gantz himself always plays a really cheerfull song (can't really remember the name) before he introduces the 'alien' and the killing begins.

Though in the same show you also have those homeless-beating guys, who whistle that same song and sing it while they bat those homeless guys to death.

The song in question is the theme of the Rajio Taisou or "Radio (PE) exercises", a sort of community calisthenics program that runs in the mornings on Japanese radio (NHK). You see people (mostly kids) doing rajio taisou exercises in parks, all during summer.

The song goes:

atarashii asa ga kita,
kibou no asa da,
yorokobi ni mune wo hiroge aozora aoge.
rajio no koe ni sukoyaka na mune wo,
kono kaoru kaze ni hirakeyo,
sore: ichi, ni, san!

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The movements for it look so retarded but supposedly it works nearly every muscle in your body. At least, the Korean one.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:

that's the first thing that came to my mind when i saw this thread. another would be Hellsing in episode 2 spoiler[after the vampire couple slaughters that family.]

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2