• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would 4kids Entertainment ever go out of business?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Lord

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Would 4kids Entertainment ever go out of business or retire? Like most of you, I don't really appreciate what 4kids has done to the Anime they have licensed.(Please don't think I'm flaming them, I'm just saying what I think.)If they did, what would happen to the Anime they licensed? Would it get licensed by someone else? I was looking forward to more uncut Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King DVDs, but they don't look like they will be continued. Crying or Very sad I thought it was good Pokemon got relicensed in hopes of a better dub and uncut DVDs, but the new dub is HORRIFIC! Will 4kids do well without Pokemon? I don't think so.

Your thoughts?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
If 4kids went out of business(bankrupt), they would liquidate all accounts. I.E.-- they would sell all of there property to anyone who will buy it. That someone may not even be involved in TV. And different shows could be sold to say a hundred different companys. Most likely it would be sold to someone in the TV biz, but who knows.

I wouldn't hold your breath though, 4kids has more going for it than Pokemon. And it takes a lot to get so bankrupt you would have to liquidate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Anythings possible, but like Dargonxtc said it takes alot to bring down a network channel, I mean ALOT.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Who says 4Kids would even consider selling their shows to another company? For all you know, they could just let the rights expire and then they would never see the light of day in the U.S. again. In fact, I imagine that's probably what they would do, especially since they haven't even reaired the edited dub of Shaman King on TV once since the show finished its run on Fox, nor have they ever reaired Fighting Foodons, Ultimate Muscle, Kirby, Cubix, or Ultraman Tiga or just about any of their other non-Pokenon/Yugioh properties since those shows were completed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
You also have to keep in mind that according to the Powers That Be in 4kid$, We (the viewing public) are stupid, ignorant, can't read and we don't understand what's actually going on or how things are done in the business.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I started hating 4kids when they ruin One Piece for life.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT, 4KIDS! YOU SHOULD LEAVE THE GOOD ANIMES ALONE!

I HATE YOU!!!!!Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Who says 4Kids would even consider selling their shows to another company? For all you know, they could just let the rights expire and then they would never see the light of day in the U.S. again.

Yes, but only for ones they couldn't sell. Trust me if they can sell it, they will take the money.

Doesn't matter anyway, it isn't gonna happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime Lord

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh well... Crying or Very sad I was hoping something would happen so I could get uncut Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King, and Kirby.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:

You ain't wrong there. I think all they have to do is botch some really good anime like One Piece a couple more times and then they're going to run into trouble. They were great with Pokemon though.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT, 4KIDS! YOU SHOULD LEAVE THE GOOD ANIMES ALONE!

I HATE YOU!!!!!Evil or Very Mad

Preach, otaku-brother! Preach!

4Kids ruins anime. End of story. Can you imagine what Naruto would be like if 4Kids owned it? 1 episode would equal, uh..., 3 minutes of "child appropriateness". A whole season would be done in 3 episodes!!! That's freaky!!!!!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Preach, otaku-brother! Preach!

4Kids ruins anime. End of story. Can you imagine what Naruto would be like if 4Kids owned it? 1 episode would equal, uh..., 3 minutes of "child appropriateness". A whole season would be done in 3 episodes!!! That's freaky!!!!!

I hear and feel the power now!!
3 eps? That sounds like what they did with One Piece already. To all who are loyal to Oda Eiichiro and his works, don't watch the botcho version of the show! But you know, they had Ninja Turtles on the same morning as One Piece, so why would they edit One Piece if Leonardo has swords and he's slicing up foot soldiers? And they've all got weapons, and people are dying, so WTF?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I could forgive everything else 4kids did to One Piece, even the lame dialogue and amateurish voices (with the exception of Zoro, whom was voiced quite well, albeit sounding a little too old), except they had to go and change all of the background music too. I can even forgive (to some extent) skipping entire arcs and episodes and changing the opening song "We Are!" to some One Piece rap, but there was absolutely no reason to change the background music! I thought Tanaka Kouhei composed an amazing soundtrack for the original, but 4kids took out all of it and replaced it with some recycled garbage.

People tell me, "You know, I saw this stupid show about Pirates called One Piece on Cartoon Network. It was lame beyond words." Even kids stay away from edited One Piece. It becomes whole different show after being hacked up by 4kids.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
This is somewhat how I imagine they 4kids customer research studies go (except with retarded donkeys as subjects):

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/12
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:26 am Reply with quote
I really think you guys are going too far. Yes 4Kids hasn't got a great track record with editing but if they didn't get the anime titles and make them 'acceptable' for the general viewing public then chances are vast amounts of people would have never seen an anime in their life. If the only version of YuGiOh or One Piece you had seen was the cut and dubbed 4Kids version then you likely would look at it at face value, if you enojyed the dubbed 4Kids version then how have they done wrong?

I'd be willing to bet that if you hadnt seen the uncut versions of these shows you would appreciate what 4Kids does a lot more. Its exposure that anime needs if it wants to become a larger market.

Just for the record I hated both the 4Kids version and the original versions of One Piece so its not a unanimous agreement that the uncut was better...they're both awful.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Anythings possible, but like Dargonxtc said it takes alot to bring down a network channel, I mean ALOT.

The silver bullet would be Al Kahn videotaped in the act of spoiler[if you even bothered to highlight this, then you are one sick bastard.]

Then again, it took alot to kill Enron.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2