• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sad/Very Serious Romances?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jartsi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I may be a bit boring for always asking recommendations, and i´m not sure if here is already topic, where is asked recommendations for this kind of anime, But anyway...

I just love this kind of anime (My favorites Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Air, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Elfen Lied...) and i´m like, "so this is all that anime can offer me in this genre?" So, if anybody knows any good titles in this genre, could you recommend some titles? I like more these adult romances (Sad/serious romance, Maybe the best is Shingetsutan Tsukihime), not any kid romance ^^

EDIT: Of course it can be a kid romance, if it´s good ^^

It has always been a probem for me to find good animes, i always watch the animes my friends recommeds for me Smile and i heard that this is a good place to ask such questions.
So, i hope that i get some replies and thanks in advance! Smile

Sorry for my bad english...
squirtbag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I think Saishuu heiki kanojo stands out as one of *the* sad/serious romance series. Very dramatic with no comedy element. Rated one of the saddest ending series in many forums I visited. Probably one of my favorite works of all time.

Also, if you liked tsukihime, you might be interested in fate/stay night. It started airing just recently and its another type-moon adapted work with some focus on romance.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru is great. It's listed on the encyclopedia as explicit sexual material, but there really isn't that much. It's probably at best, in my opinion, a very very light-hearted hentai. Yes, it deals with incest, but it was one of the best 'hentai' shows i've ever seen. It was very sad and you could really understand the character's pain. Also the animation and artwork is simply stunning. Every scene looked like it belonged in a frame at an art show.

Full Moon wo Sagashite defintely has romantic elements, and isvery sad and touching, but is not exclusively romance. However, I loved it the romance in it very much.

Refrain Blue is also a good romance, and a very sad story. It's very short but I really loved this show. It was like an 'anime short story' really, and a very good one at that.

To Heart is a very light-hearted romance. It's very 'slice of life' and probably almost anyone can relate to this show in more than one way. It has a very 'real' feeling to it, and although most of the romance isn't really expressed until the end, it slowly reappears to the viewer throughout the series.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito and Maria-sama ga Miteru are two shoujo-ai romances, with Maria-sama being the more serious of the two. They aren't very sad but they're romance. However, these two are only mediocre in comparison to the two listed above.

Kanon is somewhat like Air. It's both serious and romantic, and the animation is also a lot like Air. I didn't find Kanon as sad as Air, but it still made me cry at the ending. It also has the supernatural elements to it that make it unique and interesting.

Ah! Megami-sama is also a good romance, but it's not exactly a very serious one. It has enough jokes and gags, but not as many, or as repetative, as Love Hina. I didn't particulaly enjoy the last few episodes, but before that I thought it was very good. It's also a very eye-catching anime, with a very bright and colorful style, which enhances the mood.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote
Heippa Jartsi,

there are some good recommendations in the thread, although personally I would avoid To Heart and instead of the Ah My Goddess TV series I would recommend the OAV release. Fate Stay Night has barely begun airing so you might want to wait a few weeks until you can see what opinions form about the show.

The AMG TV series follows the manga closely which means the romantic element develops at glacial speeds and it's really more about what happens when you have three goddesses living in your house than about serious romance. The AMG OAV on the other hand moves along at a faster pace and manages to come to a satisfactory conclusion in just five episodes. It's a classic in the genre with beautiful art. That said, it might be too light-hearted for your tastes if you are looking for sad romantic stories.

For shows not yet recommended you might want to check out Suzuka. The series has a strong story, but hang around until at least the end of episode 6. The first episode will give you a wrong impression of what Suzuka is about and it then takes a few episodes for the series to find its feet. After that it's pure addiction, with plenty of surprises and interesting female characters. It's no easy romance as the male lead tries hard but finds out that Suzuka is very difficult to deal with.

Another series to try is Victorian Romance Emma. I'm not in the habit of recommending stuff I haven't seen but I have read several volumes of the manga and the buzz confirms the anime is a worthy adaptation. It's about Emma who works as a maid for an old lady. When a young relative visits, he is instantly smitten by the maid. It's a serious and well-researched romance about seeking love across class divides in Victorian England.
Luminal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:

For shows not yet recommended you might want to check out Suzuka. The series has a strong story, but hang around until at least the end of episode 6. The first episode will give you a wrong impression of what Suzuka is about and it then takes a few episodes for the series to find its feet. After that it's pure addiction, with plenty of surprises and interesting female characters. It's no easy romance as the male lead tries hard but finds out that Suzuka is very difficult to deal with.

Yeah I just saw Suzuka this week. I also recommend it as I could not go to bed before 3 am the whole week because I was watching it. It is very addictive.

But I have to say that Suzuka girl is a spoiler[ real moody nut case of a girl ]. She's like... almost every girl I've dated!

Luminal
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1