• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Qwaser of Stigmata Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
ignoring the gratuitous amounts of tata's this anime was actually pretty decent in my book, my only question is this, what's up with sentai film works doing so many subbed only releases? is it because of the lawsuit in which countless idiots are demanding the downfall of one company putting a lot of people out of work over the stupidest shit ever? is it because the economy is still pretty much in the shitter? or is this just a way to save some money in again in a rough economy?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
ignoring the gratuitous amounts of tata's this anime was actually pretty decent in my book, my only question is this, what's up with sentai film works doing so many subbed only releases? is it because of the lawsuit in which countless idiots are demanding the downfall of one company putting a lot of people out of work over the stupidest shit ever? is it because the economy is still pretty much in the shitter? or is this just a way to save some money in again in a rough economy?

The anime industry is just getting too niche to do dubs for a lot of things. A dub is a major undertaking, and you'd likely need to see double the sales just to make it worthwhile. The fanbase has shrunk over here enough that most of the people left don't NEED a dub to buy something. And before someone corrects me, yes I know some people want a dub, I'm just talking about over all.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Kinda strange that it won't be getting a dub, though. I figured it would be popular enough to merit the cost of one.
Popular enough with hardcore anime fans, but the premise is too "out there" to make it worth risking a dub.

Chagen46 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
I love this show. In spite of what people WHO HAVE NOT SEEN IT say, this show is not all about the boobs. Sure, there's boobs, and lots of them. But there is also a story and character development.

I've heard this so many times about ecchi I don't even believe it anymore.

Look, people. Just admit that you're watching it for the tits, and that there's no other reason to watch the show besides the tits. Please.

I love Battle Shounens and all their ridiculous cliches and I love boobs, but it took seeing roughly two minutes of this atrocity for me to realize that this show is...ugh.
Who should we believe, someone like DmonHiro who's seen the whole show, probably more than once, or Crystal Ball Critic Chagen46?

Anyway, aside from the tits and the yuri, which are very significant reasons to watch the series, there's also some amount of clever science, as well as the sheer over the top comedic absurdity. (Though I'm sure the critics who love over the top absurdity in shows like Angel Cop and Demon City Shinjuku will condemn Qwaser because it's new and the other shows are old.) And unlike a lot of "Nobody dies in Bleach" battle shounens, characters do get severely injured or killed. By the heroes even.

Or there's the voice acting -- aside from the already-mentioned Aya Hirano, we have Ayumi Fujimura in another great tsundere role as Mafuyu and Aki Toyosaki in a two-sided ditzy/scary role as Tomo. And there's the range exhibited by Yuuko Sanpei (whom I know better as Nozomi Yumehara from Yes Pretty Cure 5) as Sasha,

So yes, tits are a reason to watch the series, but they're not the only one.

sirdano1 wrote:
What, no Blu-rays? Pass.
I want my tits in proper upscaled glory, thank you very much.
You mean a "proper" upscale like the Japanese BDs, which were widely considered terrible by anyone in the fansub/encoding scene that worked with them?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the headline for this article, I knew this was going to generate a lot of messages in the forum, and my belief was rewarded.

I've literally laughed out loud at some of the comments on this. I must be getting more sadistic as I grow older, as I actually derive pleasure from people getting upset over something like this.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
When I saw the headline for this article, I knew this was going to generate a lot of messages in the forum, and my belief was rewarded.

I've literally laughed out loud at some of the comments on this. I must be getting more sadistic as I grow older, as I actually derive pleasure from people getting upset over something like this.

that's why we love ya you old coot~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Sentai sure is gonna have me throwing money at them like it's going out of style. I was losing hope of ever seeing this one licensed, and I'm a bit surprised that Funimation didn't go with it since it seemed like something that's right in their wheelhouse, but I have no problems with Sentai brining this out to me.

And the resulting shit storm over this comes as no surprise to anyone.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46, why do you continually berate people for their supposed sexual fantasies when anyone with Google could do the same about you? People who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, Sentai's description seems to be reveling in what seem to be the more controversial aspects of this show. The periodic elements plot sounds interesting, but I don't think this is my cup of tea. I'm glad fans of the series are getting it and really, I'm not that disappointed at this weekend's announcements. There's nothing floating out there anime-wise that I'm dying to have licensed (maybe a few shows that if they get picked up, I'll check out)

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, companies are sitting on for Otakon.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Could this show be literally the worst thing Sentai ever licensed? It seems quite possible. Of course, it's got Mysterious Spit Fetish X to contend with so who knows.

A well...they got Kids on the Slope so I'm happy.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Could this show be literally the worst thing Sentai ever licensed? It seems quite possible. Of course, it's got Mysterious Spit Fetish X to contend with so who knows.

I gotta agree with TheAnicentOne on it being enjoyable seeing some of these responses.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Mysterious Spit Fetish X

Laughing That would have been a much more suiting title for such a show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess Sentai has Manyuu Hikenchou too (Hoods Entertainment package deal?)

I'm disappointed there's no dub since it could've been the most epic thing ever (you know Steven Foster would have a hell of a lot of fun dubbing this), but I think I'll still buy these sub-only releases even though I usually have a no dub = no buy policy.

I suppose Qwaser is a rare exception. I actually wouldn't be angry if I had to rebuy it again if it was re-released with a dub in the future.

Happy to support anime I like!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

I watch it because Katja's my favorite Aya Hirano role next to Nanael so sue me.
That and she was pretty useful in Spiral Chaos. Dat damage rating...

Not to mention the movie where Katja tries to get Nanael's Holy Milk.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

A well...they got Kids on the Slope so I'm happy.

MGX has a real take on relation ships despite spitting on some fan-bases that left some revolted so they spit back on the show "puns intended".

It's now where near as bad as quwaser's whole subject plot of breast milk=super powers and showing more tits in 25 episodes than all anime from the 90's combined.

It seems sentai is really want to make money by milking out ecchi shows this time around, lets just see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I gotta agree with TheAnicentOne on it being enjoyable seeing some of these responses.

Yeah...I'll tell ya what man. Why don't you just go ahead and skip the little "I find it funny to watch people complain" posturing routine. Anyone who's interacted with you before knows that you go from zero to butthurt in about half a second whenever anyone criticizes this crap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 19