• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I've had plenty of disappointments with Adult Swim; I've had plenty of time to accrue them since I've been with it since an hour and twenty minutes after the very beginning. (I literally wandered into Cowboy Bebop unexpectedly while idly looking for some anime on television for the first time in years; Hell of a night) Even so, I think that the idea that they loathe anime fans has become exaggerated beyond reason and become a profession of faith. Even I can't be so cynical as to think that they've done all of this just to taunt and mock people like a bunch of obese fourteen-year-olds from 4Chan who're taking a quick break from masturbating to the less savor things that show up when you search for, "Renamon," on DeviantArt. It might not have been a truly herculean task to put the April Fool's Day Midnight Run together, but it was a lot more effort than they needed to go to if they just wanted to be jackasses. Maybe I'm just too soft on them because they keep renewing The Venture Bros., but I think that it's safe to believe that chances of anything happening are remote, but it's mostly, if not wholly, sincere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Given their record, I'd like to believe they're trolling. They already know low budget stoner shows bring in more viewership than the best of their anime line-up. Until TVGuide lists some more anime, I won't believe a thing.

They still dedicate everything after midnight on Saturdays to anime, despite the ratings issue. I don't think you're giving them enough credit; if Adult Swim was 100% about the ratings, they would have given all the anime except FLCL and maybe Cowboy Bebop the can years ago. Some people at Adult Swim obviously have a soft spot for the stuff.

If AS were to bring back Toonami, I'm guessing it would basically replace most of their current Saturday night anime block. I think they're asking the twitter question in seriousness because it's obvious that there's a pretty significant demographic that misses late 90's/early 00's cartoon TV, and shows like DBZ, Gundam Wing, and Sailor Moon were a big part of that. I think the main question for them is whether the initial novelty of Toonami coming back would fade or if the shows themselves would have enough appeal to keep ratings satisfactory.
miranatu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
If it's a prank, then who cares? They'll just be dicks, and we'll feel bad for a little bit. If it's real, and we miss this chance, then what are we actually doing as fans to support our passion? The potential gain we could have here FAR outweighs the potential letdown.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
icomeanon4 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Given their record, I'd like to believe they're trolling. They already know low budget stoner shows bring in more viewership than the best of their anime line-up. Until TVGuide lists some more anime, I won't believe a thing.

They still dedicate everything after midnight on Saturdays to anime, despite the ratings issue. I don't think you're giving them enough credit; if Adult Swim was 100% about the ratings, they would have given all the anime except FLCL and maybe Cowboy Bebop the can years ago. Some people at Adult Swim obviously have a soft spot for the stuff.

If AS were to bring back Toonami, I'm guessing it would basically replace most of their current Saturday night anime block. I think they're asking the twitter question in seriousness because it's obvious that there's a pretty significant demographic that misses late 90's/early 00's cartoon TV, and shows like DBZ, Gundam Wing, and Sailor Moon were a big part of that. I think the main question for them is whether the initial novelty of Toonami coming back would fade or if the shows themselves would have enough appeal to keep ratings satisfactory.

I know I have a vile opinion here, but I think nostalgia for a programming block should stay dead. If Toonami comes back, I hope it is full of programming entirely new to US television, be it from the 90s or right now. If it really does return with the same shit, then I can safely assume it's just playing off everyone's nostalgia and that will wear off really soon. I agree, it will just be a novelty for a month or two, the people who want to see the old shows again seem to only want to stick to those old shows and never explore deeper; they're not really the same as we are, where we try to watch and explore more than only what's given to us. They know these shows exist, they've known for a decade, so why can't they also move on? If the block starts with the old favorites but moves into new programming, that might be a way to snag some fresh blood, but I cannot see it surviving on old feelings alone.

I love old anime, but I also recognize nostalgia and rose-tinted views when I see them. And this Toonami thing just reeks of it.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Everyone should get on Twitter and check out whats going on Adult Swims Twitter feed its amazing theres endless amounts of tweets coming in about Toonami!
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
miranatu wrote:
The potential gain we could have here FAR outweighs the potential letdown.

As arrogant of a move as this may be perceived, I think I'll just go ahead and speak for EVERYONE by declaring this to be the general conscience of the movement.

Another someone, this time on FaceBook, had this resonating statement to say as well:

Quote:
If they thought they could dangle Toonami in front of us and yank it away without us going after it, they're nuts!

...There're too many emotions to evoke, and too much time needed to even compose it, into an Internet post. It'd take a book, one that took much time to be written and much time to be read, really it would, which would be unnecessary when concerning a single programming block of a single television network. Therefore, either you get it, or you do not... However, that gives nobody the right to trample on the many that do.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
I'll come right out and say this; I'm older than most of you by a fair margin. I'm certainly older than those of you who remember watching Toonami when they were ten. I don't have any sort of nostalgia associated with this particular block of anime, or it's super neat commercials. Hell, I didn't live in an English speaking country for the first three years of the shows run.
I really don't know what to think about this. I want whatever is best for the industry and it's fandom; the industry needs monetary incentive to make more good shows, and the fandom needs to grow and expand so it can provide that incentive. Adult Swim's current anime block isn't doing much to attract new fans, but at least it's doing a little. I see a new Toonami as moving away from that aim, in favor of pandering to established fan's nostalgia. In spirit, if not in function, anyways; I don't think I'm in tune enough with young people these days to know what catches their fancy.
Since this Toonami thing seems to have a lot of weight behind it (especially with people in their early twenties), I will ask this; how could CN/AS best use the name to attract new anime fans? Thoughts?
miranatu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
I'll come right out and say this; I'm older than most of you by a fair margin. I'm certainly older than those of you who remember watching Toonami when they were ten. I don't have any sort of nostalgia associated with this particular block of anime, or it's super neat commercials. Hell, I didn't live in an English speaking country for the first three years of the shows run.
I really don't know what to think about this. I want whatever is best for the industry and it's fandom; the industry needs monetary incentive to make more good shows, and the fandom needs to grow and expand so it can provide that incentive. Adult Swim's current anime block isn't doing much to attract new fans, but at least it's doing a little. I see a new Toonami as moving away from that aim, in favor of pandering to established fan's nostalgia. In spirit, if not in function, anyways; I don't think I'm in tune enough with young people these days to know what catches their fancy.
Since this Toonami thing seems to have a lot of weight behind it (especially with people in their early twenties), I will ask this; how could CN/AS best use the name to attract new anime fans? Thoughts?

I highly doubt they would only use old programs if a new Toonami actually happened. The surprise block had old shows, yes, but it also included Bleach and a version of Tenchi Muyo that never aired on Toonami. They were going for nostalgia to start some buzz, and I suspect they'll include old shows in the late hours just like ASA currently does. I think the first hour or two would still have Bleach and I suspect Tiger & Bunny, alongside other potential hits with a more mature audience. A mix of new and old.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
The entire prospect of Toonami returning is based on nostalgia. So, the questions of if they'll air original line-up/early year programming is pointless. Also, throughout Toonami's run, it added new shows while constantly airing older ones. (i.e. Big O, DB/Z/GT, Tenchi). It was a constant process of rotation.

What would make a Toonami return an insanely bad move is the fact that anime on television is dead. Done. Over. Anime-only networks aren't doing well, and regular channels have scaled-back on anime shows. It could possibly attract a larger audience with non-anime action shows, like they've done historically. But, I'm still pessimistic, concerning the long-term viability of it, given the fact that TV is a dying medium, as well. If Toonami was to return in, say, 2013, and their entire schedule was this line-up or even this one, I don't think nostalgia would be enough to salvage it for more than a month or two.

Toonami Aftermath, Toonami Digital Arsenal and good ol' YouTube are perfectly sustainable and logical resources for satiating your nostalgic Toonami cravings. A midnight run-type endeavor is the only possibly sound television return I could see. And since there's Adult Swim, what's the point?
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
I don't think anime on TV is dead. Not as long as DBZ Kai and GT remain on the air, anyway.

American cartoon action blocks on Saturday and Sunday mornings are making a big splash-Disney X D just started up a block of shows based on Marvel comics, Cartoon Network has a block based on DC comics (and the new Thundercats) and Nickelodeon is starting The Legend of Korra in a few weeks. If action adventure cartoons for boys 10+ become all the rage again, I wouldn't be surprised if Naruto Shippuden, or even classic Naruto get back on the air along with other shonen anime-Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc. Don't count it out yet!

As for [as], I heard that a recent bump hinted that they have two new anime coming up. I don't know why everybody thinks they'll go back to old stuff that they'd have to reacquire the rights to air. Personally, I'd love that. I missed Outlaw Star, Trigun and Wolf's Rain the first time around and never got to see 'em. I just don't think it's likely.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't think anime on TV is dead. Not as long as DBZ Kai and GT remain on the air, anyway.

Two shows don't amount to much. TV ratings for anime are abysmal in comparison to everything else. As such the networks aren't interested in airing it and have cut back massively. Anime's heyday on tv is long past.
miranatu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Two shows don't amount to much. TV ratings for anime are abysmal in comparison to everything else. As such the networks aren't interested in airing it and have cut back massively. Anime's heyday on tv is long past.

The Bleach ratings are supposedly still very good. No idea on FMA:B, but those two are really the only two anime series on [as] that one might expect good ratings from. The [as] guys aren't stupid; if they bring Toonami back, they'll probably stick to just two or three new shows that have really good potential (e.g. Tiger & Bunny), and backfill with reruns that dedicated people will still watch late into saturday night. Two shows with really high ratings could be enough to justify turning ASA back into a real block. Just because the otaku love their streams doesn't mean that the broader anime audience wouldn't tune in to watch well-dubbed shows on TV.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Especially kids: A few years ago I babysat for a ten-year-old who loved Naruto. He had a problem reading subs (and his mother limited the time he spent on the internet, anyway). He was the type of kid who would buy the merchandise, he liked to draw and he even became fascinated with kanji.

I don't mind anime being edited for US TV broadcast so that parents will let their kids watch. That's the best way to get more people watching.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
miranatu wrote:
well-dubbed shows on TV

But bad dubs are a staple of Toonami!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
miranatu wrote:
well-dubbed shows on TV

But bad dubs are a staple of Toonami!
Troll
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 16