• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
chobits

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koto18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
i luv chobits. i have numbers 1-5 now and later this week im getting 6 yay! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it is a really good series. It was one of my first. So, I'm glad you like it. Smile
I really like the way it ends (much better than the anime version), even though a lot of people tend not to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Please Post with proper english.
che_guevara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Chobits is definitely the quintessential (but definitely not best) Clamp series. It's one of the most popular manga series.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
koto18 wrote:
i luv chobits. i have numbers 1-5 now and later this week im getting 6 yay! Very Happy

Mind telling everyone why you love Chobits so? Otherwise, this thread will be locked if Bamboo happens to stroll along, though it seems rather rare without Liann...
But I though Chobits was one of CLAMP's better works. They definitally went into it with alot of great ideas, and some social commentary is present as well. The execution is what could have been better. Some character's stories were very well developed, some weren't, like the main characters. Still, it remains a very solid series with good characters and some potent themes, as well as a few hilarious mements. I'll always recommend it to newcomers, male or female.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Chobits is fannntastic. Though I'd say get the manga too... much more nuanced and really fleshes out the story.

If you like Chobits though, try Angelic Layer, the official prequel to Chobits... see where Chi evolved from! Mini-robots kickin' tail!

Wink
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read Chobits (yet) but isn't it kind of similar to DearS (or the other way round)? I think I've heard that somewhere...
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Dears is like chobits. Dears has been said to be like bondage chobits. They have some things in common. Both are great.
Chobits manga I read it was really good.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
I haven't read Chobits (yet) but isn't it kind of similar to DearS (or the other way round)? I think I've heard that somewhere...

From my experience with both (8 volumes of Chobits, 1 volume of DearS), DearS is Chobits without the well crafted characters or social commentary or essentially any thoughtfulness. It's reasonably well written and I'm sure many people will find it endearing, but I just found it to be another harem romp with nothing other than the cookie-cutter characters and fanservice keeping it afloat. Then again, I'm not a fan of that genre, so you may find it enjoyable.
mangaramaguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:39 am Reply with quote
Other than Chobits, what're some other definitive/must have CLAMP manga series?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Most everything by CLAMP is really good. But Cardcaptor Sakura is one of their biggest series, besides Chobits. There's Magic Knight Rayearth, Angelic Layer, X/1999, and their newest series: Tsubasa, along with xxxHolic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Celestial_Jade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess now i have to buy all the chobits manga as well as the Love Hina.. because that has a diff. ending too ahh!! well at least ill get a discount when i start working at suncoast lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to try to finish off the whole Chobits series As soon as I can. Right now I need to finish off bleach. That reminds me, I need to start translating!
Chobits is a one of a kind experience that can't be reproduced by any other author(s). I think that it could be a staple of any manga bookcase if tokyopop markets it right.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
For me, Chobits was the first manga I read, and finished the entire series, and it was really great, even for a newbie like I was. It was great to make you think that love is an incredible love and that you can't denay your true feelings, no matter waht those around you say. No matter how a person is born, where there born, if they look different, or how different they look, if you really do love them, then you should just accept those feelings. All responses are more than welcome...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Mexicanime86 wrote:
For me, Chobits was the first manga I read, and finished the entire series, and it was really great, even for a newbie like I was. It was great to make you think that love is an incredible love and that you can't denay your true feelings, no matter waht those around you say. No matter how a person is born, where there born, if they look different, or how different they look, if you really do love them, then you should just accept those feelings. All responses are more than welcome...

It was my second (after Rayearth), and I completely agree. There are so many good messages in CLAMP's work. That's why they're such great storytellers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1