• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CNet Discusses Fansubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
Drazzil wrote:
Actually, these are probably bootlegs. The Trigun Region 1 set is 8 dvds, so those import 3-dvd sets are probably illegal Taiwanese or HK copies. This should probably be brought to Amazon's attention.

The link points to a legit copy of the full 8 volumes being sold by Amazon (not marketplace).

The 3Disc sets on marketplace are bootlegs.

-t
beverins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
Well, you know... I'd love to buy some anime on official DVD if they would release it...

But well.... I don't see GaoGaiGar ANYwhere. Or Brave King Exkaizer. Raideen anyone? Guess not.

Of course, Raideen isn't even available fansubbed, which I consider a travesty. What's funny is that the whole show was on TV subtitled in the early 70's - but nobody had a VCR back then. *sigh*

As for modern anime.... Well, I appreciate that Gankutsuou is still being fansubbed, for example. I predict the chance of this coming to the USA to be about the same as GaoGaiGar, unless someone has some inside information on what people have been buying lately for distribution.

My view of it is that the anime distro companies shuld just take complete advantage of the fansubbers. Use their scripts (tidy them up where needed for better grammar and translation of course... a far easier job than hammering out a new sub script) to help in cost of translation. Offer a service where people can upload and download fansubs for a fee... but in return guarantee hugely fast direct downloads (or a spinoff of BT that mazimizes throughput). Perhaps Japanese anime companies should offer $10 a month fee for unlimited streaming access to all their titles in raw format.... or for free if the user chooses to see advertisements. Perhaps hire fansubbers to make the titles for these streaming videos, and then we got some good stuff going.

Don't fight the digital medium. Digital makes copies effortless, that's why digital was invented... LOL Smile so that the data would be 100% from inception to every copy made. USE the digital medium. USE the fact that your data can be copied effortlessly and easily, and spread like a virus to everyone. USE the power in your hands, and these people like the RIAA, MPAA and now ADV, Bandai et.al. are not using it.

The old ways of making money aren't going to work. Toss them and start anew. One article I read on Drudgereport.com had how a spammer made $26,000 a month with his spam. Couldn't ADV make the same amount with anime? I know to a company like ADV, $26,000 is spent on a single employee every month, so think up some clever ways to increase that. Sell the anime on bittorrent and insert ads into every show. Guaranteed exposure, because BT makes the downloading statistics plainly visible. Don't want the ads? Buy the DVD. For new shows, let the fansubbers do your hard work for you - allow them to post their works on your site as long as you get to insert ads from Japanese and American companies, so they're kept happy. If you must, invent a new video codec that has nearDVD quality, and can be copied, but keep the codec close to your chest and do your best to prevent the codec from being hacked (one way is to release new versions every so often, automatically downloaded by the player . just like M$ does) and you will prevent people from editing your digital copy. They can make a digital-analog-digital copy, but then a watermark would allow you to track down those people.

Not that this is some brilliant idea, either. And there are problems with it, to be sure. I'm not an MBA, though, and there are loads of people smarter than I am... however, I cannot believe that this basic framework is not workable, and that instead the digital medium must be fought tooth and nail to prevent these dirty dratted fileswappers! It's an asinine belief, held onto desperately by those with small minds and no courage.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
exactly, not many people remember the days of VHS where a 2 episode tape cost $30.

Now you can get any single DVD for $25 or under (so long as you are a smart shopper and don't shop at malls). Some DVDs are even priced below $20 now.
JollyWaffl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The link points to a legit copy of the full 8 volumes being sold by Amazon (not marketplace).

The 3Disc sets on marketplace are bootlegs.

-t

Well, the link he gave to prove his point was for the Amazon marketplace. It does give a description of the non-bootleg version, but when you actually go to purchase it you're given a list of 4 bootlegs and a legitimate, all from 3rd parties. The actual for-sale-by-amazon link would be here, and does of course offer a legitimate copy.

In any case, Limi-kun's proof that there are ultra-cheap legal copies is bunk. Best deal I ever found was a bankrupt rental store that was selling new dvds at $13 a pop - a new (legal) box set for $40 is a pipe dream.

Jw
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
It's simple - they want to soften the issue. Remember, the companies best interests are to handle this with kid gloves. It makes sense that they will be very selective and diplomatic in how they say things. They don't want to start another mp3 fiasco and look like bullies like the RIAA.
They're just being polite for now.
They can't afford not to be polite.
Quote:

Quote:
On top of all that, if they called it blatantly illegal, it would also indicate that their priority is not to serve the fans, but instead, stopping the fansubbers. It's never a good thing to scare off the people who buy your product.
You might want to review and rewrite this one. Wink

Hmmm maybe because it's shortly after I've woken up and I find nothing wrong with the statement. Confused
Nonetheless, I'll explain my meaning to those who otherwise may not get it. When a company takes a very hard stance on something, the level of priority on that topic usually rises. ADV could take a firmer stance, but it would indicate then that they are more interested in tackling the fansubbing industry than they are in licensing and distributing anime. Moreover, taking a harder stance could make some fans who download feel brushed off or even nervous about what they do and decide to stay away from the companies altogether. (the same way somebody who is picked on might run and hide from the playground bully - so to speak.)

Or were you just being facetious? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Omega13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
beverins wrote:
As for modern anime.... Well, I appreciate that Gankutsuou is still being fansubbed, for example. I predict the chance of this coming to the USA to be about the same as GaoGaiGar, unless someone has some inside information on what people have been buying lately for distribution.

Information: Gankutsuou = Gonzo. Gonzo = Closest-thing-to-Anime-Instant-Win-you-see-nowadays. I will be VERY surprised if this ISN'T picked up sooner rather than later. At which point I will email whichever company gets it and preorder volume 1 for release in 2006 or whenever.
JollyWaffl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Omega13 wrote:
Information: Gankutsuou = Gonzo. Gonzo = Closest-thing-to-Anime-Instant-Win-you-see-nowadays. I will be VERY surprised if this ISN'T picked up sooner rather than later. At which point I will email whichever company gets it and preorder volume 1 for release in 2006 or whenever.

Hear hear! I'll admit I'm watching the fansub, and I'll promise you that the DVD will eventually join my collection, regardless of how the series turns out. It's worth owning just for the mood it evokes (beginning of Hellsing is another one like this).

Without fansubs, however, I don't know if I would have ever started watching this series. The animation is strange, the story is unknown to me, and I'm not particularly a fan of Gonzo (not that I dislike their work, just don't recognize their name). Commercials probably would have scared me off, and it was only the fact that I had too much free time around the release date of the first episodes that I even saw it at all.

Yes, fansubs mean that people will only buy what they like. However, the availability of fansubs means that it is far easier to browse new anime and possibly find a gem you might otherwise have missed. Renting would be a more ethical choice, but for me that is not really a possibility, there being no rental places around here that carry anime.

Jw
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:

But sadly I know so many anime fans aren't like me. I work at Suncoast so I on average get anime for $10+ cheaper than most people. And since I work there I see more people come in, browse, and leave than I do those who actually buy. We do have a few good customers who support the industry who on average come in once a month and plop down like $300-400 on DVDs but for the mostpart, unless it's a new release we usually don't sell that much anime.

I hate to tell you this, but that's because Suncoast has jacked up prices. About the only thing that ever comes close to what people can easily find in other large retail stores IS the new releases. Which is why it's no wonder that you sell those the most. For the price of one dvd at Suncoast, I can buy a DVD and a half at Best Buy.

beverins wrote:

My view of it is that the anime distro companies shuld just take complete advantage of the fansubbers. Use their scripts (tidy them up where needed for better grammar and translation of course... a far easier job than hammering out a new sub script) to help in cost of translation.

Are you saying that the companies should use fansub scripts for the official release?!? If so, that's rather an absurd thing to suggest. First off, they would have to pay people to check every single word to make sure it is translated correctly. That means comparing both the original Japanese and the translated fansub scripts. If you're going to do that you might as well just translate it yourself, like you will have to do when you start finding errors. Also, using a fansub script would entail having to pay for the script in one way or another. The companies can't just accept a free script, it doesn't work that way.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Drazzil wrote:

Yes, fansubs mean that people will only buy what they like. However, the availability of fansubs means that it is far easier to browse new anime and possibly find a gem you might otherwise have missed. Renting would be a more ethical choice, but for me that is not really a possibility, there being no rental places around here that carry anime.

Jw

Yes, I agree with this point as well, a lot of the anime I like today I would've never known about without fansubs, shows like Air will probably never be licenced (I assume this becasue Kanon is still unlicenced) and if it hadn't been for Fansubs either I downloaded or a saw through friends, I would've never watched shows like Chrono Crusade because they just don't seem very appealing/worth dropping $20 on a DVD just to experiment with it, and since no rental stores around here get any anime, with the exception of mainstream stuff, my only options are funsubs or what my friends buy, as I can't use any of the online anime rental places due to having no credit/debit card
beverins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are you saying that the companies should use fansub scripts for the official release?!? If so, that's rather an absurd thing to suggest. First off, they would have to pay people to check every single word to make sure it is translated correctly. That means comparing both the original Japanese and the translated fansub scripts. If you're going to do that you might as well just translate it yourself, like you will have to do when you start finding errors. Also, using a fansub script would entail having to pay for the script in one way or another. The companies can't just accept a free script, it doesn't work that way.

I can say this because my wife subtitles things for Chinese TV. She has to translate English to Chinese, as well as time it properly. I know how hard it is, and how long it takes. She appreciates it when some of the work is done for her. You still have to read the whole thing, yes, but a lot of the work has already been done. You read through the Japanese script, then read the fansubbed one, change what needs to be changed (to a skilled translator, they can tell by a cursory review if the translation is even worth using). Saves more time than you know.

As for paying for the script? The fansubbers are stealing. I fail to see the problem of "stealing" your intellectual property rights right back. I'm sure ADV and other companies do this anyway, so I suppose its a moot point.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the translators job is to translate, and they get paid for it, I'm sure they would like to continue doing their job.

beverins wrote:

As for paying for the script? The fansubbers are stealing. I fail to see the problem of "stealing" your intellectual property rights right back. I'm sure ADV and other companies do this anyway, so I suppose its a moot point.

So on the one hand they are stealing, and on the other companies should work with the fansubbers and use their script? Translating the script isn't what is illegal. Distributing the series is. As soon as you decide to use a translated script produced by someone else, they have to buy it. It can't just simply be used for free. On top of that, if companies started using fansubbers scripts and they didn't get compensated for it.. say bye bye fansubs.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
. this argument, for all intents and purposes, holds the same for MAME and other video game emulators, too.
Not really since in the case of MAME and the other Emulators the games are long since out of print or never will get a rerelease (ie company no longer exists or is supporting the software)

Besides the point of MAME was to learn and preserve how all the old hardware architecture worked. It was just a nice side effect that it can play arcade games.

Emulation is a whole nother can of worms.

Since yes techinallly you can dump a rom of a cart or optical media you own for a backup copy but most End User Lieces Agreements specifcly state you can not ie like the one in the back of Nintendo Manuals (atleast back in the NES.SNES ones did and I bet a GC disk does to) and in the case of the PSX emulation you need a copy of the PSX bios witch no one has coded up a clone of that yet the only one I knows are dumps of actual psx ones from the develpment kit.

but anyway back on topic as far as Naruto I dont think it will raise much of a stink when it gets announced.
Look at Inu Yashsa its insanly popular on both sides of the pond and we still had people fansubbing it even as the r1 dvds were hitting shelfs. Manely becouse it will take a while for whoever has it to catch up with the tv broadcast in japan.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:

In the defense of dubbing...its produced in another language, and to even attempt to match the words and voices is very difficult. Have you heard the Simpsons in German? Or Bride of Chucky in spanish? Its LOL funny! To do even a half descent job deserves applause.
I can Vouch that Tenchi Muyo in Spanish is hysterical. Esspeicaly whenever Ryoko said Tenchi.
German dubbed Hellsing is really nice (granted the only reason i could follow it was becouse I had seen the eps before) but as far as i could tell the voice actiing sounded good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Drazzil wrote:
In any case, Limi-kun's proof that there are ultra-cheap legal copies is bunk. Best deal I ever found was a bankrupt rental store that was selling new dvds at $13 a pop - a new (legal) box set for $40 is a pipe dream.

Jw
maybe for a 26 ep show but not for 13 ep series
ie crest of the stars
https://secure.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=PIO012061

and banner of the stars https://secure.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=BAN021000

i take back what i said about 26 eps
Steel Angel Karumi seasons 1 and 2

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ADV007192
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My view of it is that the anime distro companies shuld just take complete advantage of the fansubbers. Use their scripts (tidy them up where needed for better grammar and translation of course... a far easier job than hammering out a new sub script) to help in cost of translation.

They already have in-house or contracted translators on their payrolls, and translation is really inconsequential to the cost of producing it. Dubbing it is far and away the most expensive aspect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6