• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Science explains Tsundere appeal.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote
This may be old news, though not nearly as old as the 1975 science paper it was taken from, but at least it could explain our perversity: Laughing

I-it's not like I studied this social phenomena because I like you or anything!

A tsundere character, for those of you who don't frequent certain types of message boards, is a character who hides their adoration of a particular character behind an impenetrable wall of bitchiness. Think Louise from Familiar of Zero, or if you require a less esoteric example, Helga from Hey Arnold! The trope has proven very popular amongst anime fans, which is odd given the community's well known appreciation for meek, submissive "moe" characters. Psychologist and anime fan, Yoshihito Nautou, thinks he can explain the attraction. With science.

Nautou's argument hinges on a study performed by Gerald Clore, of the University of Illinois. Clore performed an experiment in which he showed 338 people four videos of two people interacting. The videos were as follows:

Video 1: Person A is pleasant to person B.
Video 2: Person A is initially pleasant to person B, but becomes more standoffish as the conversation continues.
Video 3: Person A is initially unpleasant to Person B, but mellows as the conversation continues.
Video 4: Person A acts like an enormous, raging turd for the entirety of the conversation.

When polled on which behavior was the most appealing, the majority of subjects chose video number three. The process which causes this is called the gain-loss, effect. Essentially, when someone is consistently unpleasant towards you, it establishes a behavioral baseline that colors your expectations. When that person becomes more pleasant, even if it's by a tiny amount, you interpret that as progress, which is psychologically stimulating.

Nautou points out that savvy socialites can use this knowledge to their advantage. Something aggravating, popped-collar, frat-gremlins have been doing for years, judging by the popular "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen" adage.

It's worth noting that not every person who treats you like dirt is trying to hide a deep-rooted romantic attraction that they just can't admit to. Some people just genuinely hate you.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's worth noting that not every person who treats you like dirt is trying to hide a deep-rooted romantic attraction that they just can't admit to. Some people just genuinely hate you.

But outside of a single conversation, aren't most tsunderes in anime type twos? They initially like the main character or at the very least are indifferent to them but as they begin to develop feelings for them then the real atagonism starts.

I don't usually associate tsunderes with the "love at first sight" type. How would that even work? "I-I-I just meet you, you stupid piece of scum but it's not like I dislike you or anything."

I like tsunderes because it gives actresses more to work with; For an example, Kugimiya in Toradora; If Taiga was emotionally stable, the role wouldn't have been as good. It's the same for Horie in School Rumble; She has a sharp tongue for all her friends and Harima and they accept it. It's when she's nice that freaks them out.

For me, it's better than the doormat type or the emotionless type. It's kind of like fishing; The ones that struggle all the way are the ones you remember best.
kaydub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Also of note is the idea of reward value. That is, when individual A is interacting with individual B, if the perceived reward value of the interaction is seen as being greater than the perceived risk, the interaction is much more likely to be considered "positive". Conversely, if the risk is seen as outweighing the reward value, the interaction is much more likely to be seen as "negative". The ratio of these two values often determines the course of the interaction, or if the interaction even happens at all.

Tsundere characters obviously have a very high risk value due to their bitchy, belittling nature. However, because of this, their reward value is often also very high as well, and often times many of us see this reward value as being worth the risk.

If individual A does not end/abandon the interaction, and the interaction is not seen as overwhelmingly "negative", the interaction is likely to continue. As stated in the original post, anything seen as "progress" is stimulating and motivating. So as the interaction continues, individual A is more and more likely to consider it as "progress", and the reward value will then continue to rise. Likewise, as the interaction continues and the tsundere individual B begins to "warm up" to individual A, the risk value starts to decrease and the overall appeal of the interaction rises sharply.

This can also explain the attraction to moe characters. Since they're often submissive, the risk value is much lower than the reward value. Thus, it's highly likely to see an interaction with such a character as "positive", and therefore appealing.

I'm a communication major in college, so I've studied these kinds of theories a lot in regards to interpersonal and nonverbal communication. It's something I find fascinating, and it's pretty cool how it can be applied to a hobby such as anime Mr. Green
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Has science explained why tsundere always have very well filled out pantsu?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:

Tsundere characters obviously have a very high risk value due to their bitchy, belittling nature. However, because of this, their reward value is often also very high as well, and often times many of us see this reward value as being worth the risk.

Similarly, some people try to explain that in more down-to-earth real-world situations. For example, on the league scale, +9 or +10 girls tend to be tsun-tsun because they can afford it - they're very attractive, so guys are still drawn to them even when they act tsun-tsun. In the real world, those tsun-tsun girls are typically out of the league for regular guys, let alone geeks and otakus.

So, a tsundere is kinda like a guy's wet dream - they're able to conquer what is considered out of their league. It gives guys hope that, behind a very attractive girl's initial disdain for what she considers to be below her league, that she will soften up eventually and be an attainable dere-dere. High risk but definitely higher reward.

What do ya guys (and some girls) think? Ya don't see tsundere appeal with uglier girls, right? Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Has science explained why tsundere always have very well filled out pantsu?

Keep in mind that study wasn't explaining the appeal of tsundere specifically but rather an explanation of an already known human behavior. So I am sure that someone somewhere has explained why humans like "well filled" underwear, that can be tied into further understanding of anime.

If you understand human behavior you'll eventually understand anime.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I find this topic very interesting. My theory on the appeal of tsundere characters has always been related to perceived closeness and the reversal of first meeting expectations.

When you first meet someone, your instinct is to put your best foot forward and create a good first impression. You can view many of two people's meetings for the first time as one big charade, where each is pleasant but you have no idea if this is their 'true self' or if it's just an act. Most tsundere characters are jerks to the main character when they first meet, before they even begin to have feelings for them. They don't care what the guy thinks (at least initially). So when they begin to show hints of kindness and caring, the conclusion that is jumped to is that the considerate and vulnerable side of them is their 'true self', while the bitchy side is the mask they wear. Further closeness is felt in that often it is only that one guy who is privy to her vulnerable side, making him feel special in that 'he is the only one she trusts enough to show her true self to'.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
girls like guys who treat them like ???? and play hard to get too. They even have books about it. I think it's about the same logic for us guys.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
girls like guys who treat them like ???? and play hard to get too. They even have books about it. I think it's about the same logic for us guys.

Cause if a book says it, it MUST be true. Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. It is a bizarre feature of human nature, but you can be an a-hole 99.9 of the time, but act half-decently even once and people go, "Awwww, I knew that a-hole thing was just a big act; he's really a big sweetie underneath." Conversely, you can be a great guy 99.9 of the time, but lose it once and, "Pffft, told you that nice guy facade was just a big act; he's a total a-hole."
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, interesting. It is a bizarre feature of human nature, but you can be an a-hole 99.9 of the time, but act half-decently even once and people go, "Awwww, I knew that a-hole thing was just a big act; he's really a big sweetie underneath." Conversely, you can be a great guy 99.9 of the time, but lose it once and, "Pffft, told you that nice guy facade was just a big act; he's a total a-hole."
It's just more interesting for 99.9% of someone's life to be an act than for 0.1% of their life to be an anomaly. It's like how I think "99.9% of those Canadians are nice guys, but I knew it was an act... look at that Blood- guy. They're clearly plotting something."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
*steeples fingers*

All according to plan...
Hamiltion97

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
I like tsunderes because it gives actresses more to work with; For an example, Kugimiya in Toradora; If Taiga was emotionally stable, the role wouldn't have been as good. It's the same for Horie in School Rumble; She has a sharp tongue for all her friends and Harima and they accept it.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
"They're clearly plotting something."

Canada's ability to invade another country is impossible. The tax, forms, and shipping costs to cross its own border make war impossible.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Red tape saves the day! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2