• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament, Part XLVI:Voting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
How about Least Likable Protagonist? I'd like to clarify that I use protagonist instead of character only to exclude villains rather than specifically limiting it to main characters.

That could actually be pretty awesome. And definitely different than the usual cast of characters who populate our choices.

Still against the idea of another Moe tournament, I wouldn't bother participating in that. Probably wouldn't go for the Tsundere option either because I just ... don't care about either character type.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
How about the harem lead that is least deserving of his/her final outcome.

This is a fairly broad topic that you could interpret in a multitude of ways. For example, you could argue that the lead was such a wonderful person that he/she did not deserve to end up with girl/boy X as opposed to girl/boy Y. In contrast, you could argue that the lead was such a bastard that he/she did not deserve to end up with anybody.

The only problem is it is heavily reliant on spoilers, but it could be a lot of fun if people don’t care about being spoiled.

Also along the same lines you could do the best harem member not to be selected.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
dont really feel strongly about any harem stuff or moe characters. least likeable protagonist though could be a great choice, i already have to pull myself together not to blurt out my suggestions for which protagonists to include.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
The only problem is it is heavily reliant on spoilers, but it could be a lot of fun if people don’t care about being spoiled.

You're forgetting the big problem, which is that it only would have characters from one genre. This is another one I wouldn't partake in because I don't watch those anime.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see Best Series Receiving Votes By Those Who've Not Seen It so we can see how each of them affects these tournaments, often skewing better choices because, and this is one of my favorites posted, "I've not seen it, so I'm going with whatever everyone else goes with."

Best Skirt Ruination of a Series will finally put those series completely ruined because of an article of clothing bearing the legs in the most ridiculous of places where safety is concerned.

Best Series Receiving Ridiculous Speculation allows us to see just how much the court of public opinion criticizes it for content which the series doesn't contain.

My apologies for being facetious, but in truth, I'd really, really like to see a tournament come out with results not skewed with ridiculous crap such as "I didn't see it, so..." voting.

Whatever topic wins, a new honor system request be that no vote be giving to one series unless both were viewed to form an honest tally.

These tournaments last quite a while, so it's inexcusable such voting practices take place.

Now, for the real post...

Best Background Art would be interesting to see, though I'd recommend this tournament be a little shorter than the standard. Only because school settings plague the more recent titles.

Best Use of CG (paint, animation, design) because we know today's anime is filled with it, so why not see which title takes the win. Plus, this is a good way to get me to watch Redline since I keep putting it off.

Best Masterpiece this one's a bit different because it'll put up individual expectations in a no-holds-barred rock 'em sock 'em robot fight to the ultimate death (note). Will Clannad beat the shit out of L or will NGE make the win? I'll provide the popcorn for this one.
Twisted Evil

That's all I have for now. I'll come back to vote for the tournament choices. Bye-nee!
Very Happy
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
My apologies for being facetious, but in truth, I'd really, really like to see a tournament come out with results not skewed with ridiculous crap such as "I didn't see it, so..." voting.

Whatever topic wins, a new honor system request be that no vote be giving to one series unless both were viewed to form an honest tally.

These tournaments last quite a while, so it's inexcusable such voting practices take place.
You're suggesting that everybody should be required to watch 128 different series in the course of a couple months? Even in a year that couldn't be managed by the vast majority of participants. I understand and share in your frustration at titles that get passed over in the tournaments because of popularity, but that makes it the job of the people who have seen it to get out there and convince the others. If you're passionate about a lesser known title, a person can usually sense that in their writing. I know I've voted many times for an entry I am not familiar with because of the strong support it's getting. There are other times though when I read the description for a character from a title I've never heard of and they might sound interesting and get a vote, but weak justification, so I don't vote for them.
It would be nice if we could hold a tournament where everyone had seen every title, but we would get no participants.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Before I could get behind a Best First Episode I'd want to know what the evaluation criteria would be. Would it be based on how effectively the episode draws viewers in? How strongly it stands on its own? How effectively it sets up or represents the series? Are we talking just about story or about technical merits, too? These could get some very different results.

It may be the best non-character-centered idea that I've seen so far, though. Anime certainly has great series which had inauspicious starts and mediocre series which started strongly, so seeing what would become the top nominees could be very interesting indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

The problem with such a policy is that it would reduce the vote tallies in some instances to near zero, and we already have observed that maintaining interest and participation in these tournaments can be challenging. Mandating such non-events would simply worsen the situation. While some regulars of that site have seen hundreds upon hundreds of shows, more casual fans would essentially be banned from participating. I've counted in the past and, despite my anime list containing over 300 titles, I find I've often only seen half of the series appearing in these tournaments.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Before I could get behind a Best First Episode I'd want to know what the evaluation criteria would be. Would it be based on how effectively the episode draws viewers in? How strongly it stands on its own? How effectively it sets up or represents the series? Are we talking just about story or about technical merits, too? These could get some very different results.
Ya, definitely we'll want to start fleshing that out. I think the main criteria for judging should be tone and how effectively the episode draws the viewers in, with lesser emphasis (while still considered factors), on technical merits and story. I don't think we should evaluate on how the ep represents the series or how well it stands on its own. Also, we should judge on how well all the elements of the first episode come together.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Like I said before, I can't behind a Most Moe tournament; it's a repeat and a subject that bound to be very emotional and we may even argue what moe even is. If we want to do a tournament like this, I might be able to support a Most Tsundere contest. At least a tsundere has a more defined set of traits than moe, something that often degrades into arguments even when trying to define what it even means. Heck, even a Most Innocent contest would be better, and that would a be a stretch.

I think we should aim for a new tournament idea that would hit a bunch of genres and characters that haven't been included before like a Biggest Jerk or Biggest Loser contest. Of those last two ideas, I think Biggest Loser would hit the most new characters, generate a great discussion and be light-hearted fun.

Also still think a Most Realistic Anime would be a good idea. You could objectively list out factors that make the show realistic or clearly a fantasy like what most of anime is. Sure we would have a lot more slice of life shows than normal, but then again there are some slice of shows that are even Seinfeidlian in nature that have dubious realism. Lucky Star jumps to mind. The show is too well divided into gags, and some of the characters just seem to forced to make this show a top contender. Also the show seems way to moe with it's overactive emotions that are always a whimper or a bang and nothing in between. And before you argue this idea is too genre restrictive there are still many action and sci-fi shows that come to mind strike you as more a of realistic future with hard-sci elements, such as Ghost in the Shell or Planetes.

Other ideas that would capture characters we haven't covered before include a Strangest or Weirdest contest. Light-hearted fun again, and I think we would have plenty of contestants. We could also frame this tournament as either a character or series based tournament.

Best First Episode is somewhat doable, but I can't excited about it due to how what qualifies as a best episode varies too much from person to person and we are limited to a very small amount of content.
farichada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Awwww yeah, it's that time again to choose the next tourney. I would insert a very large "Awwww yeah!" pic here from the rage comics, but I have a feeling the mods and most posters here would disapprove. For now, I will resist the temptation.

Lovin' the idea of Best Tsundere and Least Likable Protagonist. Also Biggest Loser is an idea that might just be a winner. I know I am ultra super late to be suggesting a new idea, but I'm thinkin' a Nerdiest or Biggest Otaku tournament would be load of fun. Not only that but we wouldn't see any of the regulars that tend to dominate these tournament. Yang I suppose is a bit of a nerd, but more on an intellectual. For the first time in like forever we actually might see some slice of life shows, that for the most part have been ignored or marginalized. Still can't get over how Hosaka tanked against Cornelia and Winry. C'mon people you don't have to be srs bisness to be an outstanding supporting character.

Also a big boo to Most Improved -- way too spolilerific. I rather be motivated to watch shows because of this thread and not avoid them because they have been spoiled to death,
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd say with best first episode the main criteria would be how much it made you want to watch the rest of the series. Also how well it establishes an emotional connection to the characters and set-ups theme and conflict. And I think there definitely should be points in there for innovation in storytelling (for example, how Madoka Magica's first episodes starts is decently unique (the all-a-dream part less so but it's still impressive) and represents well what the series is trying to say).

Some of these things clearly would be a bit harder to pin down than others but I don't see how it's really any less clearly defined than the "Cool" tournament was.

Ideally I think it should have as little to do with the rest of the series as possible because I think as later rounds go it would actually be feasible for people to go out and watch the first episodes of any series still in contention that they are missing and thus be able to vote based on their own experience. Obviously it would be impossible to forget about the rest of the show entirely but the less, the better, IMO.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of a Best First Episode. I might even get to watch quite a few of the candidates this time, rather than the occasional ones that pique my interest.

I also like the challenge of finding the criteria for judging the competing episodes. Let me provide the sort of first episodes we might have to consider. Suppose Sasameki Koto was up against Elfen Lied. The first is a subtle, beautifully crafted piece of story telling that balances sentiment and irony nigh on perfectly. For sure, it's a yuri show which may limit its appeal for some and, disappointingly, the rest of the series never again matches its charm. Of course, everybody knows about the first episode of Elfen Lied. Subtlety is not what it's about. It's smacks you in the face from the very beginning, both in its rivers of blood in the first half and the cloying sweetness of the second half. Nevertheless, it's also sophisticated and ironic. And, unlike Sasameki Koto, sets the tone nicely for the rest of the series (with somewhat less blood for the most part). Its two halves don't quite gel for me. Today I'd probably go for Sasameki Koto because of its craft. On another day I'd plump for the impact provided by Elfen Lied. I guess, in the end, as in all these tourmaments, people will make a subjective choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
I'm not in support of the idea of a Best First Episode tourney. As Olliff pointed out, people have different expectations of what they hope to get out of seeing the first episode of a series and I see it as something way too subjective to get on the bandwagon for.

Nerdiest/ Biggest Otaku would be a fun one to try out considering several prominent anime like Genshiken and Otaku no Video center around such characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I'd say with best first episode the main criteria would be how much it made you want to watch the rest of the series. Also how well it establishes an emotional connection to the characters and set-ups theme and conflict. And I think there definitely should be points in there for innovation in storytelling (for example, how Madoka Magica's first episodes starts is decently unique (the all-a-dream part less so but it's still impressive) and represents well what the series is trying to say).

Some of these things clearly would be a bit harder to pin down than others but I don't see how it's really any less clearly defined than the "Cool" tournament was.

Ideally I think it should have as little to do with the rest of the series as possible because I think as later rounds go it would actually be feasible for people to go out and watch the first episodes of any series still in contention that they are missing and thus be able to vote based on their own experience. Obviously it would be impossible to forget about the rest of the show entirely but the less, the better, IMO.

I like you way you put a lot of this. The largest condition should be that the episode makes you want to watch more. Critera should mostly follow "quality" standards and to nominate and support the show you would have to name defend a the unique qualitative features the show has beyond saying "I liked it- it was funny."
However I think there is at least one criteria we could adopt that brings the rest of the show into the discussion. Although I really don't think you should judge a show's first episode on the quality of the rest of the show I do think you could just judge a first episode on how well it ends up being representative of the show, not in quality or intensity or animation wise, but thematically or in atmosphere or nature. A lot of shows try to pull off a trick as a first episode, but if something is too incongruous with what follows I think it can be counted against it. (I was thinking of the first episode of Fall's OH! Samurai Girls as an extreme example- its first episode wasn't completely irrelevant and it was fun and introduced people- but it ended up being a horrible representation of the show in many ways).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7