• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Evangelion Discussion. ( Spoilers, so be warned)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
hm.. Angelic Days, what an "amazing" piece of work that was. If your a fan of Evangelion then you should everything with in your power to not read it. It was a huge waste of time and it makes me wish I could un-read it. Ironically I've heard some compare it to Gurren Gakuen-Hen but so far I've enjoyed this one. The thing that makes this one good compared to Angelic Days is that it doesn't take it's self seriously, and it makes funny and blunt references to the original series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ikari1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I flicked through Angelic Days in Forbidden Planet once. As much as I claim to be a fan of the genre, seeing the (or to be more specific, the other) Eva universe as the setting for a romance didn't sit well with me. I couldn't bring myself to take seriously the relationships, in light of how I consider the characters to be in the televised canon.

Yeah forbidden planet is where I get my manga from aswell and I have had a quick flick through. The art work on the front put me off but then I'm a little anal about things such as origional art work vs unorigional .It's why it took me a while to get hold of a desk mascot/ Auska figurine as there are not many of them that actually look like the actual characters from the anime. Like you said I didn't really want to get into something that I knew would be too AU. I mean re take was alright in that it kept fairly close to the origional content/concepts but angelic days is a bit beyond what I would like to read into the evangelion franchise. For starters I just cant see Auksa spending most of her time all lovey dovey over shinji. I can see it for brief periods but no for an entire manga series. It's too OCC for my liking.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Right from what we have discussed on the leaked trailier Of rebuild of evangelion 2:0 you can not advance at evageeks, the following seems to be fairly certain.

I'm going to put spoiler tags on this as I imagine alot of you want to wait until the better quality trailer surfaces but for those of you who want to discuss it then here are some of the main points of interest.

Mari's role seems to be almost certainly spoiler[pilot orientated as there is a shot of a pilot in uni 05 wearing some kind of new Helmet. We believe it is mari as there is a plug suit of similar design to shinji's but with slightly different colouring. It is nothing like toji's old plugsuit and the evangelion seems to have some interesting new fucntions compared to Toji's evangelion. It is definatly unit05 that is being piloted aswell. ]

The scene with Tojii spoiler[getting all angel on us is included as well from the looks of it.]

Some other details that are interesting are thus:

Asuka's spoiler[name has been changed to Asuka Langley Shikinami as detailed on the Rebuild 2:0 poster which is something to do with the way in which the Ayanami destroyer that Rei was origionally named after had a sister vessel of the same class that was orgionally called shikinami. I dont like it but if it has some other plot orientated point to be made then fair enough. ]

The animation and quality of art ect looks bloody fantastic even with the quality of the leaked trailer being what it is.

Shinji wears aspoiler[ new shirt in one scene!] Bloody hell !

Asuka is shown at spoiler[an aquarium which in anime terms possibly means some kind of date is on the cards....perhaps the ill fated date with the Class reps friend?]

You have to see it to understand just how fantastic it looks. I think a official release of the trailer will be on the cards soon as there is a spot saying coming soon on the official website apparently.

Discuss as you see fit.
Cogida09

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show but I watched it at a WAY too young of an age.

After I was done with the series I think I was depressed and all f'ed in the head for like three weeks.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I watched it in my 20s and after watching End of Evangelion I STILL had that massive depressed feeling thanks to the very ending of that movie.

And I'm putting myself through it again on the remake... why???
Ikari1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And I'm putting myself through it again on the remake... why???

Becasue the remake and the origional are different ?

The remake is taking the story down another path this time round after all. Then there is the pure fact that you just cant resist another dose of Eva.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
Official Rebuild of Evangelion 2:0 Trailer.

This was a bit of a nightmare for people to put up due to the origional ip restritions in force on the japanese website but here is a link that allows you to view the brand new official Rebuild of Evangelion 2:0 you can not advance trailer. Click on the link and it will bring up the trailer to be watched via WMP. Enjoy. Let me know what you think.

mms://free-wms.b-ch.com/official/eva-movie/eva_sy8hrkmx9aep_1000k.wmv

Im not spoiler tagging this now as it is there in the trailer and is there to be discussed.

Just some of the new stuff which has eva fans drolling all over thier desks and keyboards:

The new unit 05 evangelion and it's pilot inside. It appears from what we have seen of the new revoltech action figure, that it has 4 legs, yes FOUR legs!

(Captain) Asuka Langley Shikinami makes her first appearence in the rebuild movies .

Shinji for the first time since the series, is shown looking happy at one stage and has a new shirt Very Happy

Unit 02 has some very swanky new weapons alla twin progressive swords.

Unit 1 and Unit 03 appear to duke it out again this time round.

The CG and animation has been stepped up another notch and looks absolutly fantastic.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
ah thank you very much Ikari1. Can not wait for these movies to get an r1. but i swear... this better be the very last final version of the Evangelion saga. I love the series and movies, but dang, enough is enough! With these movies, hopefully Hideaki Anno will get everything he wanted to do with these characters and story. honestly, id rather have him work on a remake of Kare Kano.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ikari1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I love the series and movies, but dang, enough is enough! With these movies, hopefully Hideaki Anno will get everything he wanted to do with these characters and story. honestly, id rather have him work on a remake of Kare Kano.

I dont understand what you mean by enough is enough as there has been 1 series and 2 movies which isnt terrible in terms of how much material ( anime wise ) has been put out.

Im really excited about the new films as they do represent a retelling of the story after all those years when Anno has changed himself and perhaps wants to present a different message to us from the last series.

The story is definatly taking a new route and going somewhere different from the way EoE went and after what anno did with EoE, I shudder to think how these new films are going to present the evangelion Universe. They are certainly making plenty of changes and taking risks with the rebuild films. Changing Asuka's name has already ( predicatably) caused alot of commotion but it must have some other implications other than just making sure her name tallies up with the sister vessel Rei was named after; The Ayanami.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Im really excited about the new films as they do represent a retelling of the story after all those years when Anno has changed himself and perhaps wants to present a different message to us from the last series.

As much as this could cause a split amongst Eva fans, I suppose if each canon will have a completely different message reflecting different states of mind, each will obtain its own separate importance. My initial impression is that I'm satisfied with the older story though- my interest in the new films will depend a lot on what I hear about the music and direction.
(That said, Shinji has a new shirt!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh and is Utada Hikaru's Fly Me To The Moon going to be the theme. I think her musical style really fits the series so I don't mind at all.
The animation looks even better than the last one too.
Also Kaworu. That's enough to get me excited.

That's a nice shirt too Shinji Wink but shouldn't you upgrade to an ipod or something. I don't even mind if you get a Zune.
Oh and doesn't his happy scene looks close to the one where he was talking to Misato about Kaworu? Considering his early appearance I wouldn't doubt that it's a different version of that even though I think thing are going to be different between those two.

We didn't get to see much of Mari her self but her Eva. I have a feeling that she has something to do with Ritsuko don't ask me why.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by enough is enough as there has been 1 series and 2 movies which isnt terrible in terms of how much material ( anime wise ) has been put out.

The story is definatly taking a new route and going somewhere different from the way EoE went and after what anno did with EoE, I shudder to think how these new films are going to present the evangelion Universe. They are certainly making plenty of changes and taking risks with the rebuild films. Changing Asuka's name has already ( predicatably) caused alot of commotion but it must have some other implications other than just making sure her name tallies up with the sister vessel Rei was named after; The Ayanami.

Yes, you are right about the changes. That is one of the many reasons I am stoked about these movies, especially with the spoiler[new character/pilot hinted at in the trailers]

But after these movies, no more, and this is what i mean: There were 26 episodes in the series, then eps 21-24 had director cuts released, then 2 movies (and different versions at that) and now 4 new movies are being released. basically, when all 4 new movies are done with, i dont want Anno to come out with even more movies because he didn't like the ending or what not. thats all.

but honestly, despite my complaining, i would watch anything eva that anno makes.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I particularly like the bit of the trailer at about 3 seconds in. It explains a bit more about how the pilots actually control thier evas.
supa_Lotus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
It's up on YouTube now, but dunno if they'll be taken down. But anyways, the animation looks just as excellent as the first, probably better. And likin' Shinji's shirt for whatever odd reason, fresh new look I guess...kinda sorta. Just a few months away.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
spidey401 wrote:
It's up on YouTube now, but dunno if they'll be taken down.....

well if they take it down, you can always go to the official evangelion trailer page:

http://event.yahoo.co.jp/eva2/real/special.html

I am stoked about this movie too. I was talking to someone about it on another forum, and they were complaining how this series keeps going on and on (i pointed out that this is nothing compared to the Dragon ball series, Inuyasha, One Piece, etc). We got into a little debate though. He felt that these movies as well as End of Evangelion was a result of Hideaki Anno trying to appease fans who hated the endings of the TV series (and EoE). While I agree that fans reaction may have helped the motivation, I felt that Hideaki Anno is more like anime's George Lucas... meaning, he's always looking for ways to revisit and tweak the story so he can get it exactly how he wants it. That and Eva is his cash cow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 23