• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vandread on Toonami?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The usually-reliable Matt Wilson claims Vandread is on its way to Toonami. Of course, his main source seems to be the not-so-reliable Adult Swim forum mods.

Looks like it's time to start asking around...
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not as if it's not suited for the time slot it would be airing in. I rather enjoyed the show and it wouldn't have to be edited too much either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:48 am Reply with quote
i sure hope so. then i won't have to buy the dvds Very Happy
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:05 am Reply with quote
I dunno.... I didn't care for several of the script changes in the dub. It seemed to lose the edge and humor at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:12 am Reply with quote
That's great news!

Vandread was a pretty entertaing show, with hot girls, cool CGI and one of the best comic relief sidekicks in anime.

It'd be perfect for AS.
Goshin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
That's great news!

Vandread was a pretty entertaing show, with hot girls, cool CGI and one of the best comic relief sidekicks in anime.

It'd be perfect for AS.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But if you had read this thread correctly, it would explain that, at this moment these are merely claims/rumors (with a somewhat reliable source).

Also, if indeed this is true; then we will be seeing it on Toonami and not on Adult Swim.

So, keep you’re fingers crossed. Wink

[Edit]
I, for one, would welcome the addition of Vandread. It has a simplistic story/plot, with some nice animation. So, I'm also anticipating a possible PR statement.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I'd love to see Vandread on Cartoon Network, but I'm not so sure about seeing it on Toonami. But that may have been the old CN, the new CN may be able to pass it off on the Saturday Toonami with few edits. However, the overall theme of the show is a bit more adult than I would think the FCC would allow on that block, but maybe 10:30 could get it by. I'm doubtful about this, but it could work.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nihoxdria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I would be thrilled if there was some stable evidence that this is true which there is not. Vandread is a great series and would no doubt be welcome on the Toonami line up.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
I read that mods post even himself said it was a rumor he heard thus nothing but rumors.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quote
Rumors!?!?!

On the Internet?!?!!?

My entire world-view is crashing down upon me!!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
The question first becomes "How well have Pioneer and Cartoon Network patched up their relations?"

Although Vandread is a pretty good sized series and it doesn't seem to be jumping off the shelves, so if I were a distributor sitting on it I'd give it a shot on-air even if I wasn't 100% pleased with the broadcaster. After all, it's not a top-shelf showcase title.
Humpty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:12 am Reply with quote
Somehow I don’t think Vandread would air on cartoon network. If it did it definitely wouldn’t be on Toonami; I would say it has just a little too much sexual innuendo to be expectable. Maya and Jura's homosexual relationship would be a pretty big no-no for something aimed at that particular audience (though they did manage do edit it out of Sailor Moon, I haven’t seen Sailor Moon myself so I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure its more blatant in Vandread). Also, without giving any spoilers a few plot points might keep it off the air for some of the same reasons they refuse to air Ranma.

But then again they do show Family Guy, Sea Lab, and Aqua teen hunger force, which is pretty raunchy, so I suppose it is possible.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:26 am Reply with quote
Humpty wrote:
Also, without giving any spoilers a few plot points might keep it off the air for some of the same reasons they refuse to air Ranma.

Williams Street says they just don't like Ranma, that's why they wont show it. I doubt it has anything to do with the characters and situations of the show, similar things (other than the gender changing) have been shown in other Adult Swim shows (FLCL or Lupin for example). Ranma could be shown, but they don't want to show it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought Ranma was rejected because that some of the humor in the show revolves around nudity and such, and they don't want to end up with another Tenchi situation.

Of course, they also seem to stay away from anime that's mostly comedy anyway...
Fandrez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, most comedy animes have partial nudity and some "adult" humor in it. Thats why most of the anime Toonami shows are fighting animes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2