• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
neon genesis ending.....wtf?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eva05

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:33 am Reply with quote
Well the full version of D&R, never released to the US market, was more than a recap. It was a more intense and pure emotional take on the series....

j
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
kamiboy wrote:
I'm not sure about the level of involvement the original creators had in the creation of this videogame. So it is up to you if you accept these answers as being the truth or not.

Which game is all of that from - and I'm also betting that we will never see it in english. Unless I haven't seen the game yet, which is quite posible - I've been quite busy.

That would be this one: eva2

And you'd be betting right.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:49 am Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
Well the full version of D&R, never released to the US market, was more than a recap. It was a more intense and pure emotional take on the series....

j

Come now, was it really THAT different from the version we have on dvd over here?
I thought that the only difference was that most of the directors cut footage was removed from it. And I do agree that whatever End of Evangelion was it wasn't a recap and if it was then it wasn't a very good one. But I can't for the life of me define what it actually is. On thing is for sure though, it isn't meant to watched by people who haven't seen the television show.

Maybe it was a emotional thingamajig after all.....

Damn you Anno!
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
HMM, Judging the screenshots from the bandai game, it looks somewhat impressive considering the fact that there have been plenty of bandai made games that are mediocre. is this an RPG, like the previous sega games or an robo slugfest Ala Tech Romancer?

And will it be localized for the fickle U.S?
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Hideaki Anno was in some way involved with the production of the game. From what I can gather he designed or thought up the system for the different characters emotional response to each other, or something to that effect. I do, however, not know if he also cooked up the additions to the storyline or not.

The game itself seems to be a mix of dating game'esque RPG and angel butt kicking.

It should make sense for this game to be released in the US and Europe like the Bandai Gundam games, but it doesn’t look like it will happen. For some reason Evangelion games are fated to never be released outside of Japan.

Last edited by kamiboy on Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
eva05

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

Come now, was it really THAT different from the version we have on dvd over here?

Yeah, it is quite a bit different. I actually don't care for Death True 2. The shot continuity, use of music and scene selection is much less effective IMHO.

Death True 2, the US released version, is almost 45 minutes less than the original theatrical version. The only reason it had been truncated was so that when D&R was shown with EoE during the RoE theatrical run in April 98 was that if the full version was shown the entire thing would've been pver 4 hours.

j
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
According to Newtype's January issue, the game developers sat down with Anno for a 10+ hour interview asking him various questions.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
According to Newtype's January issue, the game developers sat down with Anno for a 10+ hour interview asking him various questions.

Every Eva fans dream, a 10+ hour interview. Anywaste, that sure is interesting and makes me even more interested in this game. Please kami-sama, please let someone pick this game up for release outside of Japan.
eva05

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Never gonna happen dude.

It's time you face the facts and get on with this before you end up having to do it at age 28 or 29, while juggling a job.

Learn Japanese.

The world of anime will open up to you in ways you've never even imagined.

j
Fandrez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
So you know Japanese eva05? I was going to go learn it in about 2 years... I'm still in middle school. Crying or Very sad
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
Learn Japanese.

I can never agree with this statement when the primary motivation is anime.

It's a waste of time and money to learn Japanese for _anime_. If you do it with the intent of going on to become a translator for one of the major anime companies, you'll be sorely disappointed to find out they don't really need a lot of people who speak Japanese, unless they're fully bilingual English/Japanese (most 2nd language learners won't ever become fully bilingual, even if you spend years in Japan honing your language skills).

Teaching yourself Japanese for the sake of anime is a waste of time and money as well... just not on such a grand scale as going to a university. While exceptions exist, most self-taught students never come close to the level of proficiency you can attain by going to a university, if for no other reason than it's hard to tell when you're misusing grammar.. whereas for a university, at least, you've got a (hopefully) native speaker who will correct you when you say something wrong.

Learning Japanese for a reason OTHER than anime is a much better idea. If you learn Japanese for even something as academically incestuous as Japanese history or art, and just happen to enjoy anime as a hobby, then that's OK -- at least then you have some idea of what you'd like to do with your Japanese skills, and have a vague idea of where you'd like to apply them. Japanese history or art, for instance, would help you go on to grad school to continue your studies. Being an artist and studying animation and Japanese might help you gain a job as an animator over there (Jan Frasier, for instance). Being a businessman and studying Japanese might help you when dealing with large Japanese firms.

Anime is a great hobby.. but it's a terrible reason to study Japanese.

Anyway... since this is off-topic, I'm gonna ask that we shift back to Evangelion. If you want to continue discussing the Japanese language, feel free to make a new thread. I should've prolly done that, but I didn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gunhoe86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote
The_id_inside wrote:

i read this article, and it helps me out alot.

spoilers:

spoiler[i never made the connection that shinji (and the others') fear is based on their feeling so worthless. i knew that's why the piloted EVA's, but it never snapped in my mind that that was the source of the fear. i also never thought about the characters' fears being reflections of my own, and that's because i was too afraid to think about it, just like shinji and crew.]

thanks alot for directing me to this article, it's made me think about alot of other things too.I'll post more when i see end of eva.

thanks again

~JOSH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:08 am Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
Learn Japanese.

I had a good response ready for you and Cookie but since Cookie specifically forbids me from giving them here, and I don't feel like starting a new thread just for that, I'm just going to have to let it go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2