• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
neon genesis ending.....wtf?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunhoe86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
i just finished neon genesis the series and i have to say im somewhat disappointed. Sad it seemed like it all wrapped up in about the last 20 seconds and that was it. i thought to myself, maybe i missed something, so i watched the last 2 discs again, and didn't see anything new. i get the message very loud and clear, but i feel like it left out alot of things i wanted to know. i wanted to know alot more about the angels and where they were coming from. i wanted to know why there was a brief image of katsurage that looked like she'd been shot. and maybe i was trying too hard, but i didn't get much out of all the psychological battles involving shinji and Very Happy Very Happy katsurage Very Happy Very Happy and rei and asuka.

i just feel let down, and im hoping someone can provide some insight. did anyone see anything i missed? Question Question Question

this series was fantastic, and i really dont want to give it a "very good" rating.......

thanks,

~JOSH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:09 am Reply with quote
First of all watch the End of Evangelion movie, which is basically a remake of episodes 25-26. It should answer a lot of your questions. After that if you still have any questions (and you will) do a search on old threads about Evangelion as it has already been discussed many times before.
Rendart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah watch the movie. Even tho after watching the movie you will have more questions , but you have to keep in mind that evangelion was always intended to be a mind f***. If there are things you dont understand dont worry, your not the only one with questions that went unanswered.

-Rendart
gunhoe86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
thanks alot, that's the direction we were headed. what about the birth and death of evangelion, is it worth it?

i did a search for old topics and came up with like 4900 results, so i guess after we watch the end of evangelion i'll check them out and see what i can find.

thanks again,

~JOSH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
End of Eva is how the series should really have ended.

Gainax ran out of money and did a very poor job with the last few episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
eva05

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Well Death and Rebirth is very good but I'm not sure you'll like it. Especially if you didn't like the last few episodes.

The movie will not spell out the answer to every question such as the origin of the angels, their ultimate purpose, etc...This is really up to you to find for yourself if you feel that it's something you need answered.

I happen to be one of the few who think the original ep 25 and 26 were really good. The movie restates the feelings/sentiments of these episodes in a less abstract form and with a lot more action for those who crave blood. It's also quite a bit darker.

I like both myself, but then again I am eva05 ^_-

j
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote
How did they run out of money if they were already cutting the budget? I've watched some eps recently, keeping the budget thing in mind. It's utterly amazing how long they can exploit 5 frames.

Truely the work of Gainax. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
I can't find it at the moment, but there used to something here on ANN explaining Evangelion. Maybe one of the moderators knows what I'm talking about and where it is. But I remember one of them guiding me to that. And that cleared up some of my last questions about Evangelion. I'd like to find it again also and bookmark it. When it is found it will probably clear things up for you too.
gunhoe86

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
Well Death and Rebirth is very good but I'm not sure you'll like it. Especially if you didn't like the last few episodes.

its not that i didn't like the last episodes, i thought they were brilliant, i just didn't understand it all.

im going to watch the end, and then death and rebirth and see how things go.....

thanks for the help and suggestions

~JOSH
The_id_inside

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:07 am Reply with quote
Here's a link to the article I believe BERSERK EVA was referring to entitled Understanding Evangelion.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=14

I've actually sent this to casual fans who've seen the series, but weren't quite curious enough to search out other's theories on the show or interpret it themselves. It's the most informative brief analysis of the series I've come across, though there's whole sites devoted to dissecting Eva that you can find with a minimal amount of googling. You may want to only read 2/3 of it until you've seen the films to avoid any spoilers.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:45 am Reply with quote
gunhoe86 wrote:
what about the birth and death of evangelion, is it worth it?

Not really. Death and rebirth was kind of a appetizer released prior to the End of Evangelion movie to hold fans off. Basically it is a 2-hour recap of the show with some additional footage thrown in plus the first half of the End of Evangelion movie. I should say that the additional footage in Death and Rebirth are from the directors cut version of the television show. So if you’ve already seen the directors cut dvd's then you’ve already seen the additional footage. I say skip Death and Rebirth and sink your teeth into End of Evangelion at once.

Also if you can read and speak Japanese then you might want to check out the new Evangelion game from Bandai. It is supposedly pretty decent and promises to provide answers for some of the mysteries of the show.

By luck I found some, if not all, of these answers the PS2 game provides and will post them below. I would however recommend that you at least see the movie before you highlight the spoiler and read them.

Last edited by kamiboy on Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure about the level of involvement the original creators had in the creation of this videogame. So it is up to you if you accept these answers as being the truth or not.

Note: I didn't write any of the text below, I just copied it from some website.

Bandai videogame answers:

spoiler[
Eva 01 :
- It's once again confirmed here that Eva 01 does indeed contain Yui's soul. Also, SEELE consider having Shinji as its pilot a danger to them, for Gendo has his own purpose for it.

Yui :
- Yui is the daughter of a powerful member of SEELE, and she knows about SEELE's plans. This is why Gendo deliberately wants to get close to her.

Gendo :
- It's again confirmed that Gendo's ultimate plan for human complementation project is to meet Yui, and that he did graft Adam onto his hand for this purpose.

Human Complementation project :
- It's a project to elevate humans into a being close to gods. S2 unit is the "base" of god, and Evas are the "body" of god. Once the human souls are merged into them both, and our "last natural enemy", the fail safe device Longinus spear is destroyed, nothing then can stop the process of the complementation. SEELE consider themselves superior humans and our "guides" for completing such process.
NOTE : This is very interesting info, particularly that the Longinus spear can be considered a fail safe device that may be used to stop the complementation. It could be the reason how Shinji is able to reject it, since the spear is merged with Eva 01.

AT field :
- It's confirmed here that when AT field is being expanded into infinite, humans will revert into LCL. ie. A being close to god considered by SEELE.

Angels :
- Angels are Adam based life forms, where humans are Lilith based life forms. It's said here that a planet cannot handle 2 kinds of life forms. It's described that the Angel's actions are basically survival instincts. Some with purpose to access with Lilith, which will "reset" all life (thus give them rooms to start over? not sure exactly what this means), some with purpose to retrieve their own "creator" Adam, and some just don't think about anything. Overall, Angels are sent to ensure the survival of Adam based life forms on Earth.
Note : Extremely interesting bit......finally shed some lights to angel's mysterious actions.

The First Ancestor Civilization :
- This is the "being" that created Angels (and humans).
- It's described that they are "aliens" which spread their "seeds of life" throughout the galaxy, for what purposes or reasons are unknown today. It's said that it's pure "bad luck" that there are 2 seeds spread on the same planet, which results the conflict between Adam based and Lilith based life forms. The 2 seeds are white moon (Adam) and black moon (Lilith)
- The first ancestors are able to make a moon like, hallow carrier of life, and able to send it across the universe. With such technology, the first ancestors are considered as gods to both humans and angels.]
Fandrez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote
I watch Evangelion like 2 years ago, movie and all, and like you, I was uh... rather confused. But thats just how some animes are and I accept that. Sad But yeah, don't bother watching Death and Rebirth, its just recap and a little footage from whats in the End of Evangelion. Just watch the End, thats all you really need to see.
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:21 am Reply with quote
Ya, that's it The_id_inside. Read this if your confused. It helps out getting rid of some of your questions, I think. Also everyones interpretations of Evangelion will be slightly different, because how it was made out to be. But that link is very helpful.
animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=14
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:28 am Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
I'm not sure about the level of involvement the original creators had in the creation of this videogame. So it is up to you if you accept these answers as being the truth or not.

Which game is all of that from - and I'm also betting that we will never see it in english. Unless I haven't seen the game yet, which is quite posible - I've been quite busy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2