• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
setzer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:40 am Reply with quote

Azumanga Daioh (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: iyashikei, school, school life

Plot Summary: Azumanga Daioh is about high school life through the eyes of six girls with unusual personalities: Chiyo (the 10-year-old genius), Osaka (the resident airhead), Sakaki (the shy one prone to cat bites), Tomo (the loose cannon), Yomi (the short-tempered one) and Kagura (the resident jock).
----------------------------------

I've read most of the manga, and I LOVE it! I saw previews for it and it looks hilarious. I heard from 2 different people that the anime is better than the manga. So should i get it when i comes out? Or just find somewhere to rent it?
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:46 am Reply with quote
I intend on buying it. I heard its a "masterpeice" in tha anime world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:48 am Reply with quote
If you love the manga, then you'll love the anime, and vice versa. Azumanga Daioh's one of those series that people either love to death or hate with a passion, and you'll know which one you are by the end of the first anime episode or first manga volume.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
If you love the manga, then you'll love the anime, and vice versa. Azumanga Daioh's one of those series that people either love to death or hate with a passion, and you'll know which one you are by the end of the first anime episode or first manga volume.

Watched the first episode, and it was alright. I just don't get why the heck people are so crazy about it. It's just... ugh. I felt like I was watching a slightly exaggerated version of my school life, which I don't find that enjoyable... but yeah... I didn't like it, and haven't watched another ep since.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:12 am Reply with quote
I read the first 2 volumes of the manga and didn't really find it entertaining. It was neither good nor bad. Because of this, I have no desire to watch the anime. Like Nagisa said, I think you either love it or hate it.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:54 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm not sure how I feel at this point. I've enjoyed the manga enough (so far) to want to see the anime but for the most part I'm kinda disappointed in it. Maybe it's just an "it's way overhyped" reaction but I'm somewhere in the middle at this point.
Magister_L

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
It's pretty funny, i really liked it but there are some random episodes that were sort of annoying... Also if you're gonna watch the anime you should really watch the subs since most of the jokes only work in the Japanese language, and it will make absolutely no sense in English.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:07 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the anime. It definetly gave me a sense of nostalgia for my days when I was in school, and was a lot of laughs. I highly reccomend it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:16 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest with you bro. I love comedy and romance shows a lot so I tought to check out " Azumanga Daioh " after reading all the good reviews. After ep 8 or so I fell asleep coz NOTHING was funny for me and story was rather boring. Only character that was OK was OSAKA but thats about it. I recommend you try to get first few eps and then judge for yourself.

Peace
Derrasanc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:13 am Reply with quote
I found Azumanga Daioh hilarious and I really enjoyed it but... I agree that some people will either hate it or love it. Go watch a few episodes first and decide if you like it or not before going all in for it Smile

Last edited by Derrasanc on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Osaka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
AZUMANGA DAIOH IS DEFINITELY WORTH IT. if you liked the manga you'll like the anime. i admit it when i saw quite a few of the first episodes i thought it to be on the boring side but as i watched more i found myself laughing along with them and relating to my school life. There is no over hype about it, it's popular because people have seen and liked it. You have to give it a chance and at the end you'll feel totally pleased inside and wishing there was more! Oh and Osaka does add to the already great characters, as you can see that's at least what i think. Wink
rektagunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
worth it? hell yes.

it's an easygoing, semi-slapstick, slightly off-beat comedy anime designed to make you laugh...there's no hidden deep meaning behind the scenes (don't bother interpreting the symbolism behind Chiyo's "dad"), except maybe the value of friendship....and that's just the way I likes it........and I likes it a lot Very Happy

**waiting for the boxset....getting impatient Mad **
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I can't believe the posts I'm reading from folks who didn't think Azumanga Daioh is funny. I haven't seen the anime, but the manga is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I have never laughed as hard at a manga before. I've rarely laughed so hard at any comic, manga or otherwise, the Far Side being the only thing as funny I can think of off the top of my head.

I mean it. I was reading Azumanga Daioh in a restaurant when I started laughing so hard, I thought I was going to choke. (It was the strip where Tomo does her impersonation of Chiyo-chan.) I couldn't breathe. I had to stop reading.

I think the problem is that the humor in the strips is very character-driven. The more you read, and the more you "get" the characters, the funnier it gets. But I think a lot of people just don't get that kind of humor.

------RM
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
The manga is really funny, and I hope that the anime brings the same type of comedy shown in the manga...and I loved Tomo's impression strip...I was cracking up!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ManetherenWolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
well, the DVD on the new issue of Newtype has Episode 1 on it (along with Comic Party ep 1), and the cover story is Azumanga as well.

I must say, it is one of the better dubs I have heard in quite some time.

They went with a slight southern accent for Osaka in the anime (nowhere near as strong as in Abenobashi), instead of the Brooklyn they used in the manga.

The only voice that was annoying was Tomo's... but considering the character, it fit perfectly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11