• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade of the Immortal (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Courbet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote

Blade of the Immortal (TV)

Genres: action, drama
Themes: assassins, historical, revenge, samurai, sword fighting

Plot Summary: Manji is a crass, violent samurai with a special ability: he cannot die. Cursed with immortality by the nun Yobikuni as punishment for his ruthless deeds, he has grown weary of his ageless life. The only way to lift the curse is to slay 1,000 evil men. So Manji wanders Japan, shedding the blood of the wicked on his quest to finally die.
----------------------------------

Just thought its about time to start a thread for this; one week to go until the actual release of the anime series.

If the anime can match the awesome manga and is at least 26 episodes long, then this will certainly be a series to watch, although I am a bit concerned about how it will compare to the manga artistically, as this was truly stellar in that department.

Also violence/sex will be an issue, I hope they keep it at a similar level, as lowering it would lessen the overall impact imo.

Hoping for something inbetween Shigurui and Sword of the Stranger and we have a certain winner on our hands. Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to be checking this one out. I have a bunch of friends who just love the manga and I've read a bit of it, but I've always had trouble following action in still images so it never quite worked for me 100%. Hopefully the anime can help with that.
Majeh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
I'm also really looking forward to this one, though I'm also rather worried about the artwork measuring up; not because the animators are bad, just because the manga's artwork is so good! I'm also really apprehensive about the fight scenes, just because the sheer variety and inventiveness of the fights in the manga is one of my favorite aspects of it...here's to hoping that carries over to the anime.

Hopefully a fansubbing group'll pick this up soon (yeah, yeah, I know, fansubbs == bad, whatever. if it they let me watch a series a year or 3 before I can buy it, then too bad, I'm gonna support that Razz ). *Makes note to self to move learning Japanese further up 'to-do' list*
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
No matter the animation studio, I'll be watching this because the manga has been on my list of series to read. From what I've seen, the art looks good enough for me and the trailer was interesting (though I do hope for a new one when it gets around that time).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I was going to check this one out as well, since I too have been curious as to the manga. But if Sex is going to be an issue as you say, then more than likely I won't be going there. Of course my biggest issue being that I'm on a family computer here, but also that I would rather that sort of thing not be in there at all, important to the story or artistic or not.

Plus that and I've got way too many other series to catch as is. Anime dazed
Courbet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I was going to check this one out as well, since I too have been curious as to the manga. But if Sex is going to be an issue as you say, then more than likely I won't be going there. Of course my biggest issue being that I'm on a family computer here, but also that I would rather that sort of thing not be in there at all, important to the story or artistic or not.

Been a while since I read the first few volumes of the manga, however sex/sexual assault it isnt really prevailant, revenge is the most central aspect of the story. Violence > Sex

Although around volume 8 there were a couple of chapters where things were so intense I actually felt it hard to turn the manga pages for fear of what I would see on the next page.

Anyway its probably always worthwhile to check out the first epi and then decide for yourself. Well, almost-always..... I watched the first episode of Kanokon and have regretted ti ever since haha Razz
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I will find it eternally amazing that sex is somehow this awful taboo that must be held away from minors yet somehow we can show off decapitation, shootings, gore, etc. out the wowzoo. It strikes me as a weird double standard.

Anyway, I'm not optimistic about the handling of the anime adaption given the staff and studio. I'll still be checking out a couple episodes, though, just to see how it is. I also tell myself that it's likely an anime company licenses it and the manga gets some more deserved attention.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I will find it eternally amazing that sex is somehow this awful taboo that must be held away from minors yet somehow we can show off decapitation, shootings, gore, etc. out the wowzoo. It strikes me as a weird double standard.

Well, when I say "family computer" for the most part I mean "other people in the family, no matter what age, who don't want to see that sort of thing either." And personally, for some reason, I can handle graphic violence FAR more than I can handle graphic sexual stuff. It's just how I am is all. And most of my other family members are pretty much the same way.

But you're right though, when pertaining to what you allow the kids to view, one should not allow violence as much as they don't allow sex, I agree with you there. I don't think I've ever really watched anything all that violent on our computer anyways, save maybe Claymore. And I learned my lesson with that. (but it was so darn hard anyways since it's one of my favorites! Anime cry )

Anyways, I might go ahead and give the first episode a chance at the very least. Might.... I don't know. Even if it's just violence I might be much better off just reading the manga or waiting for a US release or something.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

Assuming they remain faithful the the manga there should be no "real" sex scenes at all. Granted, there are several instances of rape, but these are really only hinted at and they aren't exploitative at all (which is notable since much of Hiroaki Samura's non-Blade output consists of BDSM/rape hentai). There isn't even any nudity beyond a naked bottom or two.

Anyways, I'm a huge fan of the manga but I have a ton of reservations about this adaptation, especially considering the track records of the parties involved. So much of the manga's appeal comes from Samura's sense of dramatic pacing and tension and I'd be surprised if an animated adaptation managed to capture that. It's going to take some time to get used to the inferior art-style as well. Lucky another big part of the manga's appeal is its excellent cast of characters, and unless the writer really screws up that should be something to look forward to. And it will be awesome to finally be able to put a voice to the lovable psycho that is Shira.
arkady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Welcome to America.
Courbet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh such disappointment!! Looks like the first episode has been pushed back to mid-July now, which is a bit of a shame. Anyway, still looking forward to this alot!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
arkady wrote:
HellKorn wrote:

Welcome to America.

It's not any more prevalent in the US than it is in other countries. If anything a lot of other countries are more strict about sex.
Courbet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode subbed, and they did a descent job of it I felt.
The colours were a little too dark (could be my crappy monitor though) and the animation, especially on the faces, seem a little stiff almost as though the designers and animators were too hampered by the manga still images to truly breath life into them. Only a minor criticism because overall I thought it looked very cool.

Only other problem I could see is that anyone not familiar with the manga could be slightly confused by the first episode because they've tried to cram about 3 chapters worth into it, however it still makes fairly good sense.

A good starting episode - the violence, mood and most of what made the manga so great seems intact, and I am looking forward to the next episode Smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode. I must say, Bee Train exceeded my expectations, but not in a good way. Rolling Eyes

But put it bluntly: the first episode was awful. The animation had some decent visuals here and there, but overall the animation was very cheap. The artistry, while decent, is far too dark at times. The music had its moments, but it was otherwise unremarkable and even lame at times (the opener and closer especially). The storytelling was even worse. It felt like they tried to do too much, making the storyline rather incoherent. If this much continues to seemingly be lost in translation, only fans of the manga will be able to make sense of it.

I'm done with the lackluster anime version, but it hasn't hampered my desire to read the manga. In fact, I'm more eager to delve in the manga than ever before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Acinom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
Courbet wrote:
Just watched the first episode subbed, and they did a descent job of it I felt.
The colours were a little too dark (could be my crappy monitor though)

Nah, it was darkened up a bit. Animation-wise and setting-wise. Half of those scenes originally took place in broad daylight.
The core events remained true to the manga. However, my main beef is with the atmosphere. First off the music is a bit on the rancid side (or at least one track in particular. A saxophone and an organ should not be used in the same track, let alone set the mood for something like Blade of the Immortal).

Manji also seemed to be portrayed more as a forlorn hero in the anime. Granted Manji isn't exactly a social butterfly in the manga. However, he seems to go into most of his battles with an air of confidence and/or a pretty laid back attitude. I found it strange that he and Machi's husband were having a screaming match back and forth right before they duked it out.

spoiler[I think Machi's death was a touch overdone. A bit of a cheap plot device to insert some last dying words and not just give her a quick death like in the manga. But I suppose it keeps the gore from going overboard. ]

My personal minor tweaks:
-What is with the random cityscapes in the opening/closing animations and the mid-episode eye catches? No! Just no!

-The writhing nude female forms in the opening and Machi's lose kimono (not a huge deal but I thought she was an odd character to attempt to add sex appeal to). One of the things that I liked about BOTI was that even though rape and prostitution were prevalent themes, Samura was able to keep such events effective (or more often I found, made them even more effective) without incorporating fan service.

spoiler[Ex: When Shira got to Magatsu's "girlfriend" (for lack of better terms). Seeing the aftermath (i.e. watching O-Ren die while softly calling out Magatsu's pet name) of Shira's actions was much more effective on me than if Samura had actually gone into great detail of what exactly Shira did. Samura is artistically capable enough to pull off a rape scene. However, in doing so Samura would have deviated from the original point of her death. The point wasn't to see O-Ren fall. The point was that despite having all of those horrible things done to her, she cared enough about Magatu to not breathe a word about him. It was more about her sacrifice for him rather than her being another victim on Shira's rape and torture tour of the Itto Ryu's women. Not to mention it subtly sets up the revelations of her death (since at the time of that particular event, all you know is that she's died in a very bad way and that it's hinted that Shira's behind it).]
Such is my take on it. Just a little iffy that that subtly maybe lost in the anime.

But like I said, the main events were left intact and the animation was decent (it's not Samura's sketchy style but it would be pretty ambitious of any studio to attempt to mimic that). Although I do agree with everyone that it was a bit stiff.
Jedi General wrote:

I'm done with the lackluster anime version, but it hasn't hampered my desire to read the manga. In fact, I'm more eager to delve in the manga than ever before.

Yes, please do. Is made of awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2