• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL - do you ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oz_damb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote
Anime catgrin + sweatdrop I am an avid fan of oddities, especially strange anime. but I have to wonder if we are getting lax in our ability to understand. I just watched all 6 episodes of FLCL and I am now wondering if I should start beaning people in the head to see what comes out. I feel that the story wasn't ended properly, and I have to agree with Naota in the fact of none of this makes sense. including the title which has nothing to do with what we were lead to belive in. *breathes* there that was my rant. I want answers or at least other views so please let me see them roll in. cheers
Oz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:12 am Reply with quote
I agree - the ending felt a bit abrupt. However, I think it would have been better wrapped up if the show had maybe one or two more episodes to play with. The show makes no sense, but if you pay attention ot everything thats going on you can get a good idea of what happening.
eva05

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:45 am Reply with quote
FLCL was brilliant.

I never watched it in English and maybe the dub is off but it makes perfect sense in Japanese.

The story ends perfectly and not abruptly at all if you followed it. There's a complete story arc, a character arc in which almost every major character in the series grows in some way and walks away from the series, in some way, enlightened and more honest with themselves.

If you need me to I can spell it out but that sort of defeats the purpose of a lot of Anno's stuff. (He was co-creator according to the director's commentary Anime smile) He wants you to think for yourslef and draw your own conclusions.

j
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
If you want to understand it better then watch the dvd's with directors commentary on. It certainly helps clarify where a lot of the weird stuff came from and why they are in there. I just wish the director spoke a little more during the commentary session. I mean Jesus! It sound like the guy didn't have a clue about how a commentary should be done. Sometimes I just wanted to throw things at the television when he sat quietly by while some of the scenes that needed the most explaining went by.

All in all, the conclusion I cam to listening to the commentary was that most of the weird stuff were just thrown in for the sake of being weird. There is no profound meaning that one can come to by analysing the hell out of this one.
westernyouth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I watched the English dubbed version on Adultswim. I thought it was fairly easy to understand...after I watched it like 3 times all the way through. It was a complete story. I'm gald it wasn't drug out for like 50 episodes like other animes seem to be, but that's just me. I looooved it. Very Happy

P.S. where can I find more anime like that, you know, the crazy stuff?
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
westernyouth wrote:

I here Excel Saga and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi are in the same vein.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
westernyouth wrote:

I here Excel Saga and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi are in the same vein.

Don't forget Puni Puni Poemi! Razz
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought FLCL was an absolute gem through & through. Nothing felt rushed or left unfinished, and I feel having it go on any longer than it did would ultimately either ruin it or at least somewhat tarnish its overall quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eva05

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
It sound like the guy didn't have a clue about how a commentary should be done. Sometimes I just wanted to throw things at the television when he sat quietly by while some of the scenes that needed the most explaining went by.

Well that was evident...actually none of my R2 anime DVDs have commentary. I'm not sure if the US FLCL is the first, but it's certainly among the first to feature commentary...

Best commentary I've heard was the stuff on the latest Aliens re-mastered DVD, the Abyss, Traffic Criterion Edition and the Seven LD.

kamiboy wrote:

All in all, the conclusion I cam to listening to the commentary was that most of the weird stuff were just thrown in for the sake of being weird. There is no profound meaning that one can come to by analysing the hell out of this one.

Well once again, I think he left a lot of things unsaid.

The little references to other anime shows (and this one has a ton of them) do actually make sense in context. Of course they are surreal and out of control, but there are certain elements, such as how the father is always trying to emulate Lupin throughout the entire series but can't seem to pull it off....

It ties back into how Naota is trying to become himself and not live in the shadow of his brother or Kanti...

The show is very much extablishing and asserting yourself in the face of society and the molds people expect you to fall into. Oops. I've said too much already Razz

j
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
Well that was evident...actually none of my R2 anime DVDs have commentary. I'm not sure if the US FLCL is the first, but it's certainly among the first to feature commentary...

That's something I was wondering about myself, which Region 1 anime DVD was the first one with a (Japanese-language) commentary track.

The first one I was aware of was Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie (Adolescence of Utena) which was released on DVD in North America on October 23rd, 2001, and it had a director's commentary by Kunihiko Ikuhara.

The first Region 1 anime DVD with any sort of commentary track was, as far as I know, Pokémon: The First Movie, which had an amusing dubber's commentary track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oz_damb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:26 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with you there, haruko wasn't fully explained neither was adamus her pirate lover. but hey I'm just a guai lo what do I know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
eva05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:53 am Reply with quote
But does something have to be fully explained?

I actually don't think her past is important really.

It's all symbollic...a lot of the Gainax stuff is like that.

j
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I actually preferred that the whole Haruko/Amarao/Atamosk backstory wasn't fully explained. There are enough clues to give you the general idea, and the fact that it still pretty much leaves you hanging (as well as the whole thing with Naota's brother, the absolute barebones explanation of Ninamori's family troubles, etc.) adds to that slice-of-life feeling that FLCL has overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Oz_damb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I just felt like I had my brain put through a cheese grater after seeing it
Tsukasa1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Oz_damb wrote:
I just felt like I had my brain put through a cheese grater after seeing it

That's what i felt when i saw it for the first time, but when i saw it again, i fully understand it. all you need to know about haruko is that she and her priate lover is form outerspace. they aren't really explained in the series. but they are still cool characters. Haruko really reminds me of my self (what can i say. Rolling Eyes ).

Tsukasa1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2