• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re: Nudity in Elfen Lied

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero89

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
[
I debated for a while when writing my previous post if I should include drama in my analysis, as it's clear that drama is present in the series. However, a problem swiftly arises when classifying series as 'drama' in that the majority of shows have drama in them to a greater or lesser extent, and calling them all drama series would make such a description less useful. As such, I tend to only classify series where drama is the main focus of the series, above and beyond anything else as drama. A couple of examples would be furuba and KGNE.

On to Elfen Lied - I felt that the drama present, significant though it was in driving the plot, came about more as a result of the horror and harem elements that were already presented beforehand. In a sense, it's impossible to have any vaguely decent horror or harem series without any drama, so the fact that it would be present should be a given - it was the way in which it comes naturally from the other elements without being the focus of the series that makes me not really think of Elfen Lied as a drama.
Of course, that's just my view on drama to explain to you why I didn't include it - if you want to refer to Elfen Lied as a drama that's perfectly understandable, and I'm fine with that.

If you think that elfen Lied's drama is a direct result of it's horror and harem elements, that's fine... though I fail to see why that invalidates its dramatic components; every drama needs a catalyst of some form, and the fact that EL's came from its horror and harem elements is irrelevant, because it was still a very important aspect of the show (and would belong in the "greater extent" category)... but anyway, if you think that a horror or harem show having drama as a focus is a given; allow me to name a few shows that would disagree with you... Any slasher film, Inukami, hayate no gotoku, -- there's probably more, but I tend to stay away from those shows...

Quote:

Still, that hasn't answered your point about drama fans liking it too, thus broadening the appeal. Superficially, that would seem to make sense - lots of people like drama, so having a strong dramatic component should attract more fans, right? But when I think about some of the drama fans I know, even though I think they'd like the drama I get the feeling they'd be less than happy with the other elements. They'd need to be horror and harem fans too in order for them to like Elfen Lied.
So my argument against this point is really that rather than more genre elements attracting more people, the more genre elements you focus on the less people will like the show, because only people who like (or at least don't actively dislike) all the genre elements present will be fans. Of course, the trade-off for making a more niche show is that those who do like it will probably like it a lot.

(emphasis added)

So, you agree that Elfen Lied tried to appeal to a broad audience?

Zero89 wrote:
Personally however, I don't think appealing to a certain sex in a certain age group is very effective , since I don't really see a particularly strong correlation with old men and harem shows, or bloody gore... Which is why I stated that it's target audience would be better based off of its viewer's taste rather than a person's age and sex ...

Quote:

It's based of the viewers tastes as well as their age and sex - the things are intrinsically intertwined. It just so happens that the vast majority of people whose tastes involve harem shows and bloody gore are part of a demographic of men in their late teens to twenties.

You see, this is where I disagree with you... I just don't see how being a "male in their late teens to early twenties" determines that you'll like harems and gore more than the next person. I've shown Elfen Lied to just as many girls as I have guys; and to your utter shock and dismay... There were actually more guys that couldn't take the nudity and gore than women. Society can tell me all they want that guys like gore, etc, etc. more than women, but my personal experiences have taught me that this is quite frankly, a false stereotype. And until I see hard evidence (mass surveys for example) that prove that my experiences were abnormal, I just can't take that argument seriously.

And anyways, I'd say that the story is more of a romance than a harem, seeing as Kouta's cousin and Lucy are the only women that actually try to hook up/flirt with kouta... And while you're impression of Elfen Lied as a harem is duly noted (and there are trace harem elements), it is a much stronger romantic tragedy; this would also help to explain why the girls I showed this too liked it as well (by your logic)...

You see, you can say it's made strictly for seinen, and mention the gore and harem elements; but then you also have to admit that there are also aspects that would seem to be targeted at female viewers (based on societies stereotype of them); the drama and romance; which are just as much (if not more) a part of the show as it's harem and horror counterparts...

Zero89 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Considering the target demographic for both types fall squarely in the seinen category it's natural to expect there to be some kind of crossover.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

Quote:
To put the same point another way, this is how I first explained my impression of Elfen Lied to a friend: -

"Man, I swear the production went something like this... "
- "Hey, this particular demographic really digs those harem shows!"
- "Hey, wow, they also dig these really bloody, violent shows!"
- "Dude, I have an awesome idea! Let's make a show that has both in it - that'll make us loads of cash off'f those guys!"

Of course, saying it like that is kinda crude, which is why I couched it in terms like "crossover within the demographic" when I posted previously.

Even if the show's origin may have started like that; that does not mean that the man producing the show did not have other plans in mind. I mean, who would take pride in a creating a show with no substance? I've already given reasons why I believe the show was meant to be taken seriously; and that the "seinen" elements were simply put in there to increase it's mass appeal; and I apologize in advance since I've assumed you share the same feelings towards elfen lied as the thread starter... I'm probably wrong in that...

Quote:

Hmm... ever get that feeling that there's a massive hole in your argument but you don't know where it is? Because I'm sorta feeling I've really left myself open somewhere *checks flies* Sad

Funny thing is, when I first read your post, I spotted a couple HUGE flaws.... but sadly, I didn't have the time to reply (had to go to a b-day party)... Now that I do, I just don't see them. Go figure... Crying or Very sad lol

edit:

animebranyanic wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, correct me if I'm wrong.
You mean to say is that Elfen Lied is serious and your agreeing with that because with all the anime you'd watch this is the most serious. And you also included not being serious you won't watch elfen lied if it is not serious? can you elaborate more of what you mean. And also about this nudity thing about agreeing and disagreeing.

Sorry but I didn't know what you mean 'bout seriousness in anime thing about nudity and not being serious in this series.

I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying... he's saying that he feels that the nudity was used to display a serious part of the show, and that he doesn't agree that the show was not meant to be taken seriously; if the nudity mentioned had been everywhere in the show, he would agree, but since it wasn't, he doesn't (duh).

Last edited by Zero89 on Mon May 21, 2007 3:14 am; edited 3 times in total
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:38 am Reply with quote
BobafettBH wrote:
In my own opionion the nudity in Elfen Lied was used to display a more serious side to the show, As for Elfen Lied not being serious, i disagree completely. This show was as serious as I've seen in a lot of anime. Its not like there was nudity everywhere in the show. If there was nudity everywhere id agree, but there isnt.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, correct me if I'm wrong.
You mean to say is that Elfen Lied is serious and your agreeing with that because with all the anime you'd watch this is the most serious. And you also included not being serious you won't watch elfen lied if it is not serious? can you elaborate more of what you mean. And also about this nudity thing about agreeing and disagreeing.

Sorry but I didn't know what you mean 'bout seriousness in anime thing about nudity and not being serious in this series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm afraid that makes you look a little nieve about Japanese otaku-ism then. Wink

Either that, or it makes you look a little paranoid Razz .
That makes no sense. If you believe, as you have stated, that those scenes of Nana spoiler[being shackled naked in chains and brutally abused, ] was not otaku fodder, then you either do not realise that it is just another example from the hugh pile of other similar depictions that exist in Japan, or you are in denial that that sort of thing exists. I will guess it is more the former than the latter. As for being paranoid? What? Question
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
If you think that elfen Lied's drama is a direct result of it's horror and harem elements, that's fine... though I fail to see why that invalidates its dramatic components; every drama needs a catalyst of some form, and the fact that EL's came from its horror and harem elements is irrelevant, because it was still a very important aspect of the show (and would belong in the "greater extent" category)

I didn't say it invalidated the dramatic components - I said I didn't think the show focused on them to the extent of other drama shows, but rather they were a secondary feature. Of course, this particular section of the discussion is far more subjective than any other part, so I'm not sure where we can really go with it - we simply disagree on the focus on drama in the series. I only added my perspective on the drama because you directly challenged me on it.

Zero89 wrote:
...but anyway, if you think that a horror or harem show having drama as a focus is a given; allow me to name a few shows that would disagree with you... Any slasher film, Inukami, hayate no gotoku, -- there's probably more, but I tend to stay away from those shows...

Heh, I kinda covered myself here by using the phrases "In a sense" and "any vaguely decent series"... to be more general and less dramatic, I could have said "as it is perfectly natural and certainly not uncommon for such genres to include significant dramatic elements, classifying them as drama in addition to the previous classification is often akin to tautology". But once again, this is a subjective argument on my perception of what qualifies a series to be a drama, and rather off-topic to say the least, so I'm not sure where we can really go with this.

Zero89 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Of course, the trade-off for making a more niche show is that those who do like it will probably like it a lot.

So, you agree that Elfen Lied tried to appeal to a broad audience?

Um, not really, I think it tried to appeal to a single niche audience (albeit one grossly over-represented in anime fandom, but whatever) - which it did very well.

Zero89 wrote:
You see, this is where I disagree with you... I just don't see how being a "male in their late teens to early twenties" determines that you'll like harems and gore more than the next person. I've shown Elfen Lied to just as many girls as I have guys; and to your utter shock and dismay... There were actually more guys that couldn't take the nudity and gore than women. Society can tell me all they want that guys like gore, etc, etc. more than women, but my personal experiences have taught me that this is quite frankly, a false stereotype. And until I see hard evidence (mass surveys for example) that prove that my experiences were abnormal, I just can't take that argument seriously.

Eh, well, I could just as easily say that in my experience guys have been much better able to deal with and enjoy the series than girls (and it would be true), but that doesn't really get us anywhere as this is the internet and we could both be BSing (not that I think you are). Rather than trying to base this off my own experiences, or on scientific data which I flat-out don't have, I was more making an appeal to a few basic premises (or stereotypes, if you want) commonly found in society (as you noted). Namely, that guys like seeing naked/semi-naked girls more than girls do, and that guys like seeing blood and gore in fiction more than girls do. If you want to dispute these generalities, then instead of backing them up I can simply say that, regardless of actual fact, these are the kind of basis that most people, including companies and authors, consider when constructing a picture of their target audience. Who the target audience is really isn't open to much dispute in this particular case.

Zero89 wrote:
And anyways, I'd say that the story is more of a romance than a harem, seeing as Kouta's cousin and Lucy are the only women that actually try to hook up/flirt with kouta... And while you're impression of Elfen Lied as a harem is duly noted (and there are trace harem elements), it is a much stronger romantic tragedy; this would also help to explain why the girls I showed this too liked it as well (by your logic)...

Well, we both recognize both romance and harem elements, but you say the harem elements are secondary to the romance, while I say the romance is secondary to the harem. The fact he was living with four other girls (I think?), some of whom he was involved with, and had numerous fanservicey scenes (bath time, etc...) makes it a harem - while it wasn't as prevalent compared to other series (as you noted) this is because Elfen Lied has other genre elements, and this one was weakened to make room for them. When compared to romance anime like Kare Kano, REC, Bokura ga Ita, Saikano, etc., they don't have any of this.

Zero89 wrote:
You see, you can say it's made strictly for seinen, and mention the gore and harem elements; but then you also have to admit that there are also aspects that would seem to be targeted at female viewers (based on societies stereotype of them); the drama and romance; which are just as much (if not more) a part of the show as it's harem and horror counterparts...

I don't know that drama and romance are solely a female domain - I think they're both wide enough genres (as aversed to harem and bloody horror) with enough variation that depending on the presentation they can be aimed at either. Take any dating game adaptation as an example - drama and romance, yet aimed solely at guys.

Zero89 wrote:
Even if the show's origin may have started like that; that does not mean that the man producing the show did not have other plans in mind. I mean, who would take pride in a creating a show with no substance? I've already given reasons why I believe the show was meant to be taken seriously; and that the "seinen" elements were simply put in there to increase it's mass appeal; and I apologize in advance since I've assumed you share the same feelings towards elfen lied as the thread starter... I'm probably wrong in that...

Um, my bad here I guess for posting that - to emphasize, I have no illusions that the shows origin was anything like that whatsoever. That was merely a light-hearted passage to get my point across. Given that you stated that the seinen elements were only included as fanservice, I guess you got the message.

Here, then, lies the crux of our disagreement - to you Elfen Lied is a romantic tragedy, with fanservice in the form of sex and violence added to increase marketability. To me, Elfen Lied is a show that's all about fanservice, and the plot and romance are more a skeleton to give the fanservice some realistic basis.
I think that perhaps the impact the romance and drama had on each of us may have had an effect as to what we each see as the focus of the series - you seemed to really like it, so it's only natural for it to stand out more for you in the show, while I wasn't moved by it at all, which would naturally make me see it as a less significant factor. Another way of putting this is that those who liked the romace/drama will judge it as such with added fanservice, whereas those who didn't will perhaps judge it based on the graphical content, whioch would naturally lead then to see it as a harem/horror show.

Man, I dunno... I feel a little out of my depth on the last bit there. Let me know what you thin, anyway Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop .

Interesting though this is, back to the thread topic - don't you think that some/much of the nudity in Elfen Lied is included as fanservice? You seemed to be saying that it was, even if it was just to increase appeal. But maybe I misunderstood you.

Mowhawk52 wrote:
That makes no sense. If you believe, as you have stated, that those scenes of Nana spoiler[being shackled naked in chains and brutally abused] was not otaku fodder, then you either do not realise that it is just another example from the hugh pile of other similar depictions that exist in Japan, or you are in denial that that sort of thing exists. I will guess it is more the former than the latter. As for being paranoid? What?

I never said it wasn't otaku fodder.
My comment about you being paranoid relates to you stating that I was being naive in thinking that the scene in question wasn't specifically included to sexually appeal to a miniscule section of the market. My reply was that rather than me being naive, you were being overly paranoid to imply that the target audience in japan is packed full of perverts into loli-bandage. Rather than that, it seems far more likely to me that the scene was there to make Nana more "moe". So, fanservice, but not sexual.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying... he's saying that he feels that the nudity was used to display a serious part of the show, and that he doesn't agree that the show was not meant to be taken seriously; if the nudity mentioned had been everywhere in the show, he would agree, but since it wasn't, he doesn't (duh).

Ok!,Thanks for elaborating more it clearly 'cause I don't understand on what he's talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Mowhawk52 wrote:
]That makes no sense. If you believe, as you have stated, that those scenes of Nana spoiler[being shackled naked in chains and brutally abused] was not otaku fodder, then you either do not realise that it is just another example from the hugh pile of other similar depictions that exist in Japan, or you are in denial that that sort of thing exists. I will guess it is more the former than the latter. As for being paranoid? What?

My comment about you being paranoid relates to you stating that I was being naive in thinking that the scene in question wasn't specifically included to sexually appeal to a miniscule section of the market. My reply was that rather than me being naive, you were being overly paranoid to imply that the target audience in japan is packed full of perverts into loli-bandage. Rather than that, it seems far more likely to me that the scene was there to make Nana more "moe". So, fanservice, but not sexual.
Maybe not in your eyes. Yeess, spoiler[A cute girl who just happens to be shackled to a wall where ballistics are shot at her to see how far she can take it before she's blown to bits] Ooh! That's just soo moe! Don't ya just want to hug her? Rolling Eyes I rest my case.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Mowhawk52 wrote:
]That makes no sense. If you believe, as you have stated, that those scenes of Nana spoiler[being shackled naked in chains and brutally abused] was not otaku fodder, then you either do not realise that it is just another example from the hugh pile of other similar depictions that exist in Japan, or you are in denial that that sort of thing exists. I will guess it is more the former than the latter. As for being paranoid? What?

Maybe not in your eyes. Yeess, spoiler[A cute girl who just happens to be shackled to a wall where ballistics are shot at her to see how far she can take it before she's blown to bits] Ooh! That's just soo moe! Don't ya just want to hug her? Rolling Eyes I rest my case.

What you didn't feel like you wanted to protect her? Give her a hug? I was under the impression that being moe pulled out some sort of need to "take care of" feeling out of the viewer. I personally felt really bad for Nana and hoped they would stop spoiler[pelting her with metal balls], and hurting in any way really...but hey that is just me. I really don't think it was meant to be sexual, but hey I could be wrong I suppose. I am sure there are those who were aroused by such a scene but I don't think that is the crowd they were catering to.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I think you could consider Nana moe, why do you think she won the ANN Moe tournament?
Zero89

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:

I didn't say it invalidated the dramatic components - I said I didn't think the show focused on them to the extent of other drama shows, but rather they were a secondary feature. Of course, this particular section of the discussion is far more subjective than any other part, so I'm not sure where we can really go with it - we simply disagree on the focus on drama in the series. I only added my perspective on the drama because you directly challenged me on it.

Well, we both recognize both romance and harem elements, but you say the harem elements are secondary to the romance, while I say the romance is secondary to the harem. The fact he was living with four other girls (I think?), some of whom he was involved with, and had numerous fanservicey scenes (bath time, etc...) makes it a harem - while it wasn't as prevalent compared to other series (as you noted) this is because Elfen Lied has other genre elements, and this one was weakened to make room for them. When compared to romance anime like Kare Kano, REC, Bokura ga Ita, Saikano, etc., they don't have any of this.

Eh, fair enough. Though your logic still seems flawed to me. By your logic, a show must be solely focused on romance, or drama to be considered as such, because otherwise the term would lose its value, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong) This logic fails when the dramatic components, etc. are still a focus of the show, despite the fact that the show diverts into different genres (as is the case with elfen Lied), to disregard that aspect of the show is to remain oblivious to the analysis of the whole show. i.e. the level of drama present in elfen Lied is much higher than the general level that appears in most shows; which should then classify it as a drama. But yes, you're right when you say that this is very subjective, and whether or not your logic makes sense to me, is not the issue.

Quote:
I don't know that drama and romance are solely a female domain - I think they're both wide enough genres (as aversed to harem and bloody horror) with enough variation that depending on the presentation they can be aimed at either. Take any dating game adaptation as an example - drama and romance, yet aimed solely at guys.

Females liking drama and romance is just as much a female stereotype, as men liking harem and gore is a male stereotype. I agree with you when you say that drama and romance are not solely female domain, but then again, neither is harem and horror solely a male's domain. If you're going to include the male stereotype in your analysis of a show's target demographic, you must also included the female stereotype as well. I mean, look at the term "chick flick". It is a term used to describe a show where romance and drama are the main focus of the show... contrast this with a show like Conan the Barbarian, which is described as a "manly, testosterone charged gore-fest", and both stereotypes are easily recognized.

Quote:
Here, then, lies the crux of our disagreement - to you Elfen Lied is a romantic tragedy, with fanservice in the form of sex and violence added to increase marketability. To me, Elfen Lied is a show that's all about fanservice, and the plot and romance are more a skeleton to give the fanservice some realistic basis.

Bingo, we have a winner. Though.... there is no sex in Elfen Lied....Wink
Quote:

I think that perhaps the impact the romance and drama had on each of us may have had an effect as to what we each see as the focus of the series - you seemed to really like it, so it's only natural for it to stand out more for you in the show, while I wasn't moved by it at all, which would naturally make me see it as a less significant factor. Another way of putting this is that those who liked the romace/drama will judge it as such with added fanservice, whereas those who didn't will perhaps judge it based on the graphical content, whioch would naturally lead then to see it as a harem/horror show.

Man, I dunno... I feel a little out of my depth on the last bit there. Let me know what you thin, anyway Anime smile + sweatdrop .

I'd say the reason for the extreme difference in opinions come from the fact that the first four episodes of the series are so different from the last nine. They are seriously two different types of shows, and I think that the people that couldn't take the nudity violence, and shameless fanservice, or formed their opinion of the show "prematurely" (four episodes into a 13 episode series is usually more than enough time to form an accurate opinion of a show...) never got to experience the "serious" side of the show; and are thus left with the impression that the show was solely made for fanservice, and any reason someone gives for it's depth and seriousness is simply fooling themselves. (not that I think this is your opinion, just the general populace) I must ask however if you decided this show was made specifically for fanservice four episodes in, and then simply did not think to reassess the show after you watched the rest of it? (I do realize the arrogance of my opinion, but I would still welcome the chance for someone to prove me wrong nonetheless)... Because, I felt the same way as you four episodes in. What changed my opinion was that from episode five and on, the fanservice halted to a skidding stop, and emotional scene after emotional scene was dropped on an unsuspecting viewer that was holding on to a mere shred of hope that EL would develop into a show with some form of depth... I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

It's almost Ironic that something so emotionally touching came from a show that I, at first felt was nothing but a show built with fanservice and cliches as its foundation. Perhaps the first four episodes served as a foil to emphasize the dramatic episodes that followed ? Or perhaps I'm giving them too much credit. Anime smile + sweatdrop Your reason seems logical to me as well, so maybe it's a combination of the two, and many other things that would take far too much time to post?Anime smile

Quote:
Interesting though this is, back to the thread topic - don't you think that some/much of the nudity in Elfen Lied is included as fanservice? You seemed to be saying that it was, even if it was just to increase appeal. But maybe I misunderstood you.

You understood me just fine... I do believe that some of the nudity in Elfen Lied is included as fanservice.. Where I disagreed with Hellkorn was when he said that the show was not made to be taken seriously, and that the nudity was implemented into the show as nothing more than fanservice, or something to that effect.... that and a lot of other things I disagreed with in his post, but that was the main reason I even decided to post a reply.... It had more to do with his implication that the nudity present in Elfen Lied had no other purpose than to serve as fanservice, and that anyone who thought differently were, "trying really hard to find something that wasn't there; than it had to do with me believing that all the nudity was justified within the confines of the story. (Which I clearly don't)
Time and Space

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
I personally felt really bad for Nana and hoped they would stop spoiler[pelting her with metal balls]

Nana? The diclonius being pelted with the metal balls was, for a number of reasons, not nana. Perhaps the strongest reasons are the fact that she was referred to as number three, but mainly that she was shot in the head at close range with an unstoppable armour piercing round.

'Zero89' and 'Ramadahl' wrote:
Big, exclusive debate

I started arguing my views, but it soon turned into an essay so I stopped and have managed to restrain myself. A message board is just not an adequate stage for debate. So I'll simply say that I, like zero89, consider Elfen Lied to be more a romantic tragedy than anything else. This may have been because I had no knowledge of fanservice when I watched it. I identified the violence, horror and sexuality as devices employed that perfectly enhanced the tragic plot as it unravelled. The harem aspect was not identified by me, if it had, it would at best have been secondary to the impossible love we see between Lucy and Kouta contrasted with the mother-father roles Kouta and Yuka seem to be forming which is devoid of love, something which adds to the tragedy, and helps us care about the three dimensional supporting characters also.

If one believes fanservice is prevalent, and that it degrades the series as a whole, then be free to do so. It appears though that you have taken elements that have been used successfully to enhance what is a fantastic anime series and interpreted them incorrectly, or perhaps too hastily? These elements can be used in any animation, television programme or movie and help to produce a work of art, yet because this is anime, some have labelled it fanservice and hence disregarded Elfen Lied as a result. Now take away all of these elements and Elfen Lied would not be improved at all, it would not be as dramatic or engaging, it would not be as horrifying or relieving, the characters' trauma would be unknown. A dark world would not be created as a result which would mean the ray of light that beams from the love shared by Lucy and Kouta becomes insignificant, simply, the whole of Elfen Lied would be worthless should it be without the elements that have been condemned by some.

I enjoy Elfen Lied considerably, those who dislike it are in my view, unfortunate.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Time and Space wrote:
omar235 wrote:
I personally felt really bad for Nana and hoped they would stop spoiler[pelting her with metal balls]

Nana? The diclonius being pelted with the metal balls was, for a number of reasons, not nana. Perhaps the strongest reasons are the fact that she was referred to as number three, but mainly that she was shot in the head at close range with an unstoppable armour piercing round..

Ah, yes. There was something that was bothering me, and you just pointed it out. Thanks. The first time we see Nana, she was chained to a wall and was bloody. Later in the series we witness "Number 3"'s ordeal. I can then remember back to seeing Nana in chains and assume she got the same metal ball treatment. Either way, something happened to Nana while in those chains to make her bloody.

Let's not forget the results of her first encounter with Lucy. I definitely wanted to take care of her after that.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

Let's not forget the results of her first encounter with Lucy. I definitely wanted to take care of her after that.

Maybe, but the wounds she'd received would have made me think twice, looking at them is much like looking at the inside of a cat's ear, quite off-putting. I'd have waited until she'd gotten those artificial limbs, but looking at them is much like looking at...an artificial limb, a little unnerving. Confused
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm in the "I don't care it's just art and doesn't bother me" camp on this matter, myself. I don't mind nudity, the human body is a beautiful thing, it's like living art. Therefore nudity in animation is art within art, or composite art, which I like. Since this nudity has no sexual elements and was mostly for practical or comical uses it was not in the least bit arrousing, no, and seeing that a lot of the diclonious were under age I would hope that it would not be to anyone. (Excluding Nyu's antics with Kouta which offen were, however, she's older than the rest of them.)

I like Elfen Lied a lot because it had in my opinion a good balance of dark and light elements. It could be really serious and extremely disturbing and could also make me laugh as well. There was enough of each so that it wasn't completely depressing or too sugar sweet, neither extreme I care for. In addition to that it had great characters an entertaining story, and was animated very well.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue May 22, 2007 4:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
omar235

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
Time and Space wrote:
omar235 wrote:

Nana? The diclonius being pelted with the metal balls was, for a number of reasons, not nana. Perhaps the strongest reasons are the fact that she was referred to as number three, but mainly that she was shot in the head at close range with an unstoppable armour piercing round. .

Eh you lost me, granted it has been a while since I saw the series...a long while...but do you mean number 3 was shot at close range with a armour piercing bullet? I thought it was Nana getting pelted with metal balls while being chained to a wall, then after the test was over the main science guy (forget his name) called her over and she is eventually sent out to spoiler[fight Lucy]. I don't recall many diclonius getting shot with armour peircing bullets...lucy was the only one I recall and she was shot in the first episode. After that I can't think of any others who where shot...well there was also the one that made...uh the main science guy (the father of the spoiler[diclonius child that had 26 vectors]) give birth to a diclonius, but she was shot with a pistol. Oh jeeze now I went and confused myself even more. Confused That aside they all seemed to have been put through similar tests.

I agree with daedelus, after Nana's first encouter with Lucy that really made me feel bad for her and deffinatly made me feel the need to hug her.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Time and Space wrote:
omar235 wrote:

Nana? The diclonius being pelted with the metal balls was, for a number of reasons, not nana. Perhaps the strongest reasons are the fact that she was referred to as number three, but mainly that she was shot in the head at close range with an unstoppable armour piercing round. .

Eh you lost me, granted it has been a while since I saw the series...a long while...but do you mean number 3 was shot at close range with a armour piercing bullet? I thought it was Nana getting pelted with metal balls while being chained to a wall, then after the test was over the main science guy (forget his name) called her over and she is eventually sent out to spoiler[fight Lucy]. I don't recall many diclonius getting shot with armour peircing bullets...lucy was the only one I recall and she was shot in the first episode. After that I can't think of any others who where shot...well there was also the one that made...uh the main science guy (the father of the spoiler[diclonius child that had 26 vectors]) give birth to a diclonius, but she was shot with a pistol. Oh jeeze now I went and confused myself even more. Confused That aside they all seemed to have been put through similar tests.

I agree with daedelus, after Nana's first encouter with Lucy that really made me feel bad for her and deffinatly made me feel the need to hug her.

Ouch! The science guy GAVE BIRTH to a diclonius! I expect that hurt considerably!
Males giving birth aside, you correctly identified the diclonius that was pelted with metal balls, she was also the one who placed her vector into the "science guy's" head, causing him to "give birth" to a diclonius. That diclonius(not the offspring of the "science guy") was called "number three" and she was shot by the "diclonius science guy" whilst her vector was in the "science guy's" head. She is not "number seven" (Nana). We simply see nana chained up and bloodied one minute and then see her in a dress standing by a helicopter chirping the word "papa" over and over again to the "science guy". Though, as Daedelus suggests, it is likely Nana was bloodied because she had been put through similar ball-pelting experiments, but we don't actually see her being subjected to such treatment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7