• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Dragon Ball and Pochita errupted in the Argentinean presidential election.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The Argentina presidential election came and went with the victory of Libertarian Javier Milei, this is how Anime, specially Dragon Ball and Pochita, helped him to win against all odds.

At first sight, Dragon Ball looks like a weird pick to fight autoritasim, but it makes sense when you know that the Argentinian Ministry of Women, Gender Politics, Sexual Diversity from Buenos Aires banned Dragon Ball for insentibating violence against women.

The series was banished from TV until the problematic scenes were censored by the Warner Channel.

But, the damage was done and (even though it happened a couple of years ago) Milie followers began using pics of Goku voting for Milei (who promised to close said ministry, though, he can't close the one from Buenos Aires, he can close the federal one) in order to fight censorship.

This escalated and currently hundreds of memes of DB characters endorsing Milei can be found across social media.

In order to understand why Pochita 3 things must be understood:

1- Milei votes' pool has a higher percentage of young people than the other candidates.
2- Milei plan it's called the "Chainsaw" plan.
3- Libertarians are smartasses.

Everything began with this clip from a Milei critic:

https://youtu.be/itzg_nMeuzw?si=eRxDRJBFE6-Q5aBH

Translation:

"The name is Chainsaw Man, there is a character whose name is Pochita, he is a demon other demons fear (...) Milei is Pochita (...) careful, we are at the edge of the abyss, be scared, Pochita is dangerous, that chainsaw its an sinister symbol, we don't think on voting Milei, not even for all the gold in the world, because we know it's hell."

Milei followers immediately loved the idea.

"Milei is politician other politicians fear!".
"Pochita helped Denji him to leave his poverty!".

What followed were a number of memes, fanarts, cosplayers, people took their Pochita plushies and took them to Milei rallies and took photos with him holding it.

And the rest its history, Milei won helped by an alien with a bad haircut and and a motorized capybara.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
So, a cute little dog with a mini-chainsaw blade sticking out of his head was supposed to scare people away from guy campaigning with an actual chainsaw in his hands?

That was 100% going to get co-opted by Milei's side and memed to high heaven.
Albyher0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:23 am Reply with quote
Had to look into that instance myself and found out they banned it cause of Roshi, not surprised at all
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:37 am Reply with quote
More evidence that anime is slowly taking over the world...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1