• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does deleting an account no longer work?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pantsmca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
Hi there, I have an older ANN account that I'd like to deleted. I tried deleting it, but it didn't seem to actually delete the account. It just disconnected the email. I'm still logged in and can see all my old posts. Does deleting an account not also delete old posts? I had some info in some old posts I wanted removed but I couldn't edit them as that account was banned from the forums. Thanks in advance!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Technically, creating another account to get around a ban is a no-no. And actually, you should be placed on Moderation because of that. But that will depend on your circumstances. What is the username on your old account?
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:38 pm Reply with quote
From what I’ve dug up I guess deleting an account doesn’t delete the posts. You can ban this account too frankly I’m not too fussed. Just trying to get rid of old teenage junk associated with my username/real name. If deleting an account doesn’t or can’t remove the posts then that’s fine I’ll just leave it as is. I wasn’t actually aware it was banned until I tried editing old posts. If old posts associated with the username can be removed then I’m happy to DM the username. It was from around a decade ago though if that makes a difference. Feel free to ban this account too if that satisfies moderator requirement or whatever, I don’t frequent ANN much anymore.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:48 am Reply with quote
Well, I've been around pretty much since the site started and have a good memory (I might even remember who you were). PM me your old username and I'll do some research.

Unlinking emails from accounts does nothing to the actual posts. However, as a Moderator I do have the power to manually edit/delete posts. So at the very least, I can do that for you. Depending on who you were, and based on what I can dig up on your new account, I may not do anything to the new one and just consider it a "fresh start."
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hello! May you also PM me your username? Let me see what I can do as well.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I've PM'd you both. I have access to the original email too from that account if there's any further verification needed.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hello,

Deleting accounts does not delete posts. It deletes all of your user settings, private information, myAnime account, etc.

It does not delete any public contributions you've made to the encyclopedia or the forum. Essentially, deleting an account is a way of saying, "I no longer have any connection to this website," as opposed to, "I want to erase any connection I ever had to this website."

There are a myriad of reasons for this, I'm sure some are quite evident. But basically, it could damage the consistency of this forum and our encyclopedia if certain information simply disappeared. We also believe that statements made in public shouldn't be erased in general.

That said, we're not heartless, particularly when it comes to statements made by people when they were children. Diane (SempaiDuckie) will contact you back with some steps.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! Tony K actually helped me with all this already so this has been resolved Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1