• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Used anime pillow?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy26

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Would you buy a -used- anime body pillow?

Once daylight savings changes in the fall we are no longer allowed on the recreation yard after 6:00 PM. On our last evening out I was walking with my friend, who is as large a fan of Anime as I and that is where our conversation drifted. He mentioned his appreciation for the Japanese culture which provides us with such amazing things as Zelda, Maid Cafes, and Anime themed body pillows. The conversation sparked something in the back of my mind, a witty put down to launch at him so I answered

"You would probably buy a used Anime body pillow"

As soon as I said it I knew this was a winner and after the five second delay it took for the joke to set in he finally replied:

"gross."

Now, I get out of this place in late May and I know I am going to have to keep myself from going overboard on memorabilia and collectables. Need to land a few things first like a car, a pair of shoes, and some health insurance but I do have a few items on my wish list that I'll likely be looking for soon after my release. A few figures of some of my favorite characters, some T-shirts and Manga. Many things I'm certain will only be available on the secondary market. So while I may be looking for a Himiko Toga body pillow, it will certainly be new stock, still in the box.

As I prepare to venture into the memorabilia and collectables market I'd like to ask What are some of the favorite Anime related items you have bought? What is the most money you have spent for a collectable and would you consider selling it today or is it a keeper for life?

200 days to go and I'll be out there amongst the living again!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I was ever tempted to buy a new body pillow so that would be a no to a used one.

As to collectibles, I don't even know where to start. I try not to think of prices and I couldn't tell you what was the most expensive. I have bought a lot of figures and my most expensive probably approached $200. Lately the figure market has increased in price and I have to be rather selective. I'm not really comfortable getting in the $200 or worse $300++ range.

I have a lot of posters (real ones printed on paper not those crappy wall scrolls) but no one seems to be offering them for current shows. Calendars were fun, especially those big sheet things with the days of the month at the bottom as an afterthought. The only calendars now are for the most popular shows that are not for me. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have bought trading card sets but it doesn't matter since no one is selling them anymore. I still buy quite a lot of manga and the occasional bluray when they offer shows I want.

I can't say I regret any specific purchases, but I should have been more selective. I definitely got way too many Evangelion figures, Rei and Asuka are both cute but there are too many. While I likely have some stuff I would sell, it doesn't matter as no one is banging on my door asking to buy. I lack the energy to try to sell stuff online.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I have a lot of posters (real ones printed on paper not those crappy wall scrolls) but no one seems to be offering them for current shows. Calendars were fun, especially those big sheet things with the days of the month at the bottom as an afterthought.

Personally, I think wallscrolls have many advantages over posters. In addition to them looking better from an aesthetic viewpoint: I always felt like I was gunking up my walls (and posters) with various sticky materials to keep them up there. Wallscrolls don't get rips or creases in them as easily. You can wash them, and creases can be ironed out. I had some favorite posters, but I always felt I had to frame them to make them look presentable (not to mention the hassle and bulkiness of frames).

As for cost, wallscrolls aren't necessarily cheap. I paid around $50 for autographed ones, and almost paid $200 for a very limited edition Range Murata one (that wasn't even autographed).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:55 pm Reply with quote
We are just going to have to disagree. I bought a couple of wall scrolls when I first started collecting and the quality was not good. The cloth they were printed on gave a rough, grainy appearance. The tubes they rolled on were a storage problem. I'm willing to admit they may have improved since the late 1990s but it is a moot point as I'm out of the market. Back when I started, there was a company called 1000 Editions that produced really high quality prints on heavy duty paper. The images were really good. And, by the way, I frame all my posters for display. Inexpensive frames but they keep the dust off and save my walls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1