• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Returner's Magic Should Be Special (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:23 pm Reply with quote

(A) Returner's Magic Should Be Special (TV)

Source: South Korean Webtoon (written by Usonan, illustrated by Wookjakga)

Demographic:

Animation Studio: Arvo Animation

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, tournament

Themes: apocalyptic, aristocracy, redemption, school, sorcery, swordplay, time travel, tragedy

Plot Summary: In a time when the Shadow World has taken over and most of humanity is wiped out, a party of six heroes strives and fails to save the world… But magician Desir Herman is given a second chance when he opens his eyes and finds that he's gone back thirteen years in the past. It's now up to him to gather his party once more and stop the greatest catastrophe in human history.

Air Date & Platform:
October 7, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

I love time travel in all its forms, so I will, at least, give this a shot for that element alone.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that I don't really get a premise like this. For example, I understand a premise where a party of six tries and fails to save the world. That's the first cours. Then the second cours is where the hero gets transported back 13 years in time and gets a second shot. Then you can watch how maybe he does things differently the second time around.

But what's the point in starting a story there? Nothing that has happened in the past has any impact because as viewers we haven't seen any of it. It kind of reminds me of last season's Summoned to Another World a Second Time. The whole show was about the lead character encountering people from that world for a second time... but for us as viewers we were meeting these characters for the first time so the fact that there was this past relationship meant really nothing. It didn't help that doing things the second time around had no narrative value. He was clearly OP the first time round and gosh darnit he's OP again. He doesn't have to learn anything new or act differently. The whole "I'm back" premise literally had no story value. I don't get it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes and no really. You get to learn the characters while Desir has an extensive database of knowledge to fall back on regarding events, people and magic. Part of why the manga is fun to read is that you get to learn things gradually and see Desir be a bit like a gamemaster. There is also so much information regarding his first life/run that it would make for an extreme lore dump as a season. It also makes for some exciting moments wondering what each characters role was and how he or she will fit with the second run so to speak. Knowing everything would ruin quite a few surprises.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as they actually use the premise and don't just go the Summoned for a Second Time route, that's fine.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I read the web novel. Don't get me wrong, I mean, I really liked the web novel. But I'd like to be seeing the anime with fresh eyes. Anyway, as long as the show stays reasonably true to the source material, it ought be pretty solid.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:11 pm Reply with quote
You and smurky are convincing me to give this one a shot. Which means, if I do and if it doesn't pan out...

...well...

...let's just say there will be...

...consequences...

Like... for example... me overusing ellipses...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:01 am Reply with quote
The source material is great, whether that will result in a good anime....that is always uncertain. More than once has an amazing novel or manga resulted in a garbage tier anime.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:11 am Reply with quote
The book is generally better than the movie, but light novels and the anime based on them are harder to predict. The first few light novels I read were because I liked the anime first - Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, Konosuba so that might be part of a bias on my part. I thought I'd see some of the missing bits and get some rewarding background information, but there wasn't as much of that as I was expecting. It was like expecting a slice of pizza and getting a piece of cardboard with cheese and tomato sauce spread thinly over it. The novels were okay, but they really were light, and they might have lost something in translation too. I'm not sure if they were adapted from manga that came first or not either, which might also be a factor. After all, books that are adaptations of movies that came first don't apply to the books/movie rule either.

And I might just be a tasteless douche. Y'know, I feel like the chances are slim, personally, but tasteless douches generally do.

Anyway, nowadays, the only time I read Japanese light novels is when I've finally given up and become convinced a second season of the anime I saw first isn't coming out, and I want to see how the story turns out, like Grimgar, Fantasy, and Ash.or Invaders of the Rokujama only the story keeps going and going and going...so it might be that I've never given light novels a fair shake.

Either way, I have read a lot of Korean and Chinese web novels the last few years, and this is a case (like King's Avatar) or Release that Witch) where they're going to have a hard time making an anime as good as the book. But unless there's a tri fecta of bad production values, bad voice acting, and bad editing decisions, the story merits alone ought to be interesting enough to make the anime watchable at the very least IMHO.

But I'd love it if the anime kicked ass.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I watched the first episode, and I have to say that the promo art didn't do a good job of capturing the feel of the series at all. I don't know if I liked this more than I would have because I've read the web novel and I'm biased, or if I liked it less because it's not as good as the book and I'm biased, but I did like it. There are...umm... I think four anime about people going back in time this season? Well, technically I guess Ragna Crimson had someone get visited by their future self, but still...I confidently like at least three of them so far. It seems to me that this one has made the best use of the premise in the pilot. The wacked out metaphysical experience that opened the show made the idea of time travel seem less inexplicable, and the protagonist's disorientation seemed more real, And the show kept its sense of mystery even though the protagonist sort of knows what's going to happen next.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I wonder if the mighty dragon Boromir Neapolitan will bring along his allies Aragon Firenze and Gimli Pompeii? Only time will tell! Yeah, not sold on his one but not ready to pull the plug either.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:00 am Reply with quote
Solid first episode, the story takes a bit to get going, but they are following the source material pretty well so far and it is always fun to see a novel you have been reading for ages become an anime.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I think solid is a pretty good word for this anime. The animation isn't top tier, but it's decent. The voice acting is competent in all respects. And I already know I'm, going to like the story unless they change it a lot more than they seem inclined to.

The competition, Desir's ability to analyze and nullify magic, the discrimination against commoners which isn't too different from the discrimination against weeds....in some ways, this reminded me of the things I liked about season 1 of the Irregular at Magic High School.

The way that the future is a known and a mystery at the same time, and an antagonist either way...is a cherry on top.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:10 pm Reply with quote
That Shadow world "test" was just stupid. What was the point of it? Run like the wind toward the goal! Unless you stop and try to wipe out the stragglers to make sure you're one of the 3 that pass. But you would be anyway, if you didn't stop to wipe out the stragglers.

Even at the end, why did the knight go all out to stop him from passing? She already had it in the bag if she simply walked across the finish line.

What did any of this prove anyway? It's like, "yeah, we know a capture the flag sort of battle or survive against the Shadow world's dangers would've been way more interesting and sensible a test of your abilities, but we just didn't have time for that, so, uh... run like the wind!"

And I just wanted to slap Romantica upside the head about once every two minutes of screen time. Girl, you're in a race. Why are you stopping to stand around complaining about Desir's face? Get moving already! Desir dodged a bullet whe she died in the original timeline and he wasn't stuck with her forever. Hopefully, Fate decrees that some things can't be changed in this do-over.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:38 am Reply with quote
Hey, if you're going to hate on Romantica, you could at least make fun of her name too.
Wink

I was fine with the game personally. If it was really about a race, they could have just held it on a high school track. I think it was more about:

(1) using their magics creatively to accomplish a goal. Could a fire user propel themselves like a rocket? Could a water mage body surf on a wave? Desir using a common spell for removing static cling and opening jars and such to become a grass skater was an example, and so was Romantica creating a vacuum effect.

(2) Getting them into a "Life is tough, if you want to win you're going to have to get down in the mud," mindset since the students they really care about are mostly pampered young nobles.

Like putting five people in a room and saying "The first one out that door survives." Will the weakest first make a team to eliminate the strongest? Will one try to manipulate everyone else into fighting so they can reap the benefits? A tournament where people squared off one by one following set rules wouldn't have given them as many opportunities to be flexible.

But mileages vary.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the game makes sense in showing that competition is a very important part of the school. They can use magic in many different ways and just using spells as is means not making full use of the abilities that you have. It is sadly also used to show commoners that going against nobles will get them a swift defeat and that they stand no change. Desir is an exception naturally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3