• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theme descriptor discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
1. I think just racing is fine.

2. I think it's worth adding automobiles as a descriptor since some people doing theme searches might use that word to get a list of show where cars are important.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that anime about horse girls about racing? I haven't watched it but that is pretty much all horses are good for. Don't we also have some anime about space ship racing? I know Outlaw Star has an arc about that. You can race just about anything that can move.

I don't think you need to get into what type of auto racing is involved. That is the sort of thing you get out of an extended blurb and not part of descriptors.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
I was going through and updating themes for some of the Fall '23 shows, then came across (The) Faraway Paladin and got to thinking "knighthood" is a pretty integral part of the show.

I initially added knighthood as a theme, but then thought I should change it to just "knights," since there are other shows that have various classes/professions such as assassins, bounty hunters, mercenaries, ninja, samurai, etc., and that I should save aristocracy and royalty as the lone societal descriptors.

But then I got to thinking, if I categorize knights as a class/profession, what other ones would I open the door to including? Like, would I start including other medieval fantasy classes like archers, mages, priests, thieves, and warriors? And do I go down the rabbit hole and start including exorcists, onmyouji, beast tamers/trainers, swordsmen, or possibly other kinds of culture-centric classes or professions?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:30 am Reply with quote
Personally, if I were you Tony K., I would just stick with Knight as a descriptor because they are so prevalent in anime. I wouldn't bother with mage, thieves, priests because so many shows that feature adventurers have those classes so I don't think it becomes useful as a filtering tool.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Good point. Whenever I use "medieval" as a theme, I just think of that as a general one-for-all kind of descriptor that includes most fantasy elements, social classes, and/or job professions that most people come to expect from the genre.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:41 pm Reply with quote
That totally makes sense to me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Knights really existed and are an important part of history. Samurai are simply the Japanese equivalent. Neither should be used as a descriptor unless they are central to the story. Especially since both could be used in a non fantasy setting. The same could be used for all sorts of magic users, mages, wizards, sorcerers, priests, exorcists, onmyouji and such like. They could be used entirely separate from a medieval setting, example Negima. Likewise thieves are not just medieval, example Catseye.

That said, if any of the above are used in a typical medieval fantasy setting where classes of occupations are used none of those should be individually mentioned, simply describing the show as D&D adjacent should suffice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I love how this thread brings out everybody's inner librarian. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2