• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub release cycle?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:51 am Reply with quote
CR release time and anime production.

Just curious if anyone knows this stuff. On CR (and now Netflix?) new anime is getting released an episode a week or so (variance here is confusing).

The dubs often come out 2 weeks later. Is this because they are literally dropping the episode as it’s finished then rushing it to dub on a two week cycle. Is that the studio or the distribution streamer?

It seems like an insane setup. Many programs get the whole season in the can now before release which minimizes and controls distribution and has to be more
Reliable and cost effective over time.

Any insight?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
Sub one week after release in Japan and a dub two weeks later. That sounds about right. I wouldn't call it insane but it is certainly high pressure and libel to errors. It certainly makes sense though.

Netflix used to wait until all episodes had shown in Japan and would release the entire season as a block. This drove anime fans crazy. They referred to it as Netflix jail. People want to watch the shows as they come out so they can discuss them with other fans here and elsewhere online. They would scream when Netflix licensed a show and would vow to resort to "other" means to watch the show concurrent with its Japanese release. Even now you will find people complaining that one week for the sub is too long.

This schedule is actually a good thing. All the discussion you see in the Preview Guide and the weekly reviews here on ANN would die if everything was delayed until the season finished. In my opinion one of the reasons the manga forum is so dead is that it is difficult to find people to discuss series with as they come out.

I expect the variance you see in release dates depends on how much cooperation CR gets from the Japanese rights holders. That is when they get the materials from them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote
It's true that some anime series are completed entirely before they drop but that is still very much a minority situation. The anime production model is much the same as live action Western broadcast shows still are: You have a few episodes in the can when the season starts, but you finish as you go along. That's why we get the infamous recap episodes and other production delays: the production falls behind schedule and needs extra time.

So called "simuldubs" make sense because a distributor can start exploiting a title very shortly after it starts running in Japan rather than having to wait until the show is finished. Taking two weeks to dub a 24-minute episode is not some kind of miraculous endeavour.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
they do start working on each ep after its released. A two week gap allows for some flexibility in recording as well as any delays in receiving the show when a show's production breaks down in Japan.

Alan45 wrote:
Sub one week after release in Japan and a dub two weeks later.

subs are an hour or two after the show airs in japan, not a week
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:54 pm Reply with quote
@getchman

A couple of hours? Cool. This shows that they are getting materials well in advance of the release. Much more cooperation than they were getting a few years ago.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks this makes a lot more sense of things. And having watched a lot of the older anime it makes sense it was already dubbed because it’s older. Just surprised when I saw it start to happen on Netlfix but now I see why.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1