• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best anime for a home theater?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:28 am Reply with quote
Is there an anime movie I can showcase to friends in a home theater that would use full surround sound, the subwoofer, and outstanding animation for visuals? Any recommendations?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Most anime aren't super high-budget, unless you're talking full length features, like a Studio Ghibli film or something by ufotable.

If you want something brand-spanking new, GKIDS released a Collector's Edition of Belle (2021) in 4K with Dolby Vision and Atmos (for both Japanese and English). That's probably the highest-tier product I can think of, in terms of presentation quality, for any kind of anime. It also comes a nice booklet full of interviews and production notes. That CE of Belle is a bit expensive, though (about $43 on Amazon, right now).

But for a cheaper alternative, you could try the 4K of Ghost in the Shell (1995) (currently priced at $10.99 on Amazon). It is presented in Dolby Vision with Atmos (for both Japanese and English), as well. Although, the Atmos mixes are remasters (the original mix was Stereo). Some purists don't like the new mixes, but I think they're pretty good compared to the faux-5.1 dub mixes that FUNImation/Crunchroll keep pumping out on their discs.

If you don't have 4K capability, right now, I'd say GKIDS' Blu-ray release of Spirited Away (2001) is a sure bet. The production quality is probably the best there is in terms of traditional animation, and it has a native 5.1 mix.

Some ufotable titles I'd recommend are Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (movie version only, because the TV cut loses the 5.1 mix) and any of the Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel movies. Those have a lot of dialogue, but there are some pretty flashy action sequences in each.

If you don't have any of those, some other Blu-rays I can think of off the top of my head: Promare (2019), Redline (2009), and Akira (1988) (make sure the Akira disc is from 2017 or earlier, because they botched the hyper-sonic mix for the Japanese audio on later releases; by the way, only the 5.1 Japanese track on those discs is the hyper-sonic mix; Google it to read more details).
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
I agree with Belle. I have an 83” LG and a high end surround system and Belle was fantastic on it.

Arcane is also a great view (yeah yeah)…
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:32 am Reply with quote
Paprika by Satoshi Kon.

I saw it on tv but previous to that I had seen it on a big screen and there is no comparison how much more amazing it was when you have a better resolution and can appreciate all the details of the animation.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Paprika, I would actually not recommend it as a reference disc. The animation itself is great, but it's one of those mid-2000's productions, back when a lot of studios were still transitioning from traditional to digital animation techniques. A lot of those titles ended up being produced just barely above SD, can only be upscaled, and have not aged well, for the most part. Just take a look at the Blu-ray or HD stream of another Kon classic in Paranoia Agent. It's a bad upscale.
Robert S. S. Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:01 pm Reply with quote
You can try Haikyuu! I think it would perfectly for a Home theater!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
I second the Redline suggestion. It needs a 4K release. I think it has some digital work, but is mostly hand drawn with crazy detail. The sound makes me think of the song "Jesus Built My Hotrod"
“There is no use trying to talk,. No human sound can stand up to this,. Loud enough to knock you down,. BURNOUT!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BeckJohn21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:23 am Reply with quote
Expelled from Paradise. It'll take some getting used to to the 3D animation, but the action is top notch as well as the soundtrack.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Mary and The Witch's Flower has a UHD release which looks absolutely stunning. Note I'm not referring to the GKIDS' release(regular BD) from few years back but the Japanese UHD release, however the disc does have English subs. If you are able to check it out, I highly recommend you do if you happen to have a 4K display with HDR enabled.

Hiromasa Yonebayashi who directed it was formerly part of Ghibli and it shows, Studio Ponoc does an excellent job here.

I wouldn't mind Studio Ghibli themselves making 4K rescans of some of their stuff, would love that, however so far I've seen no indication they plan to...
Chorology

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:19 am Reply with quote
"Your Name" - beautiful soundtrack. Its blend of romance, fantasy, and visual spectacle makes it a perfect choice for me!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Chorology wrote:
"Your Name" - beautiful soundtrack. Its blend of romance, fantasy, and visual spectacle makes it a perfect choice for me!

It's important to note Your Name isn't 'true' 4K nor HDR.

Quote:
The 4k upscale was handled by Q-tec (yes, that one that everyone goes “oh shit” about). The original DPX master given to them was a 1920×1080 file with 4:4:4 RGB and encoded in 10-bit. They took that and then upscaled it and graded it in HDR afterwards using FORS EX PICTURE, their new system for upscaling. They didn’t have any of the source materials like the photography or CG scenes; only the final version.

Since they had the DPX master instead of something previously encoded into a lossy format, they were able to make the upscale look wonderful. The actual mastering of the film was done by IMAGICA, so it’s strange to see a transition for the home video release. That likely had an effect on the visual differences between 1080p and 4k since two different mastering studios played around with them.

source:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/07/28/kimi-no-na-wa-your-name-production-notes/
http://www.phileweb.com/interview/article/201707/20/469.html

Also noted in the comments on SakugaBlog, they used Rec.709 color space, instead of BT.2020's color space which would have made full use of 4K HDR's capabilities. Some discussion on BT.2020 here:

https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/bt2020.html
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:39 am Reply with quote
At least for sound, I always like Samurai 7 as a test of subwoofer response. The visuals may be a bit dated, but it actually was one of the earliest HD TV anime, despite being made in 2004. Probably closer to 720p than 1080p or beyond though. And it doesn't help that I have the DVDs, not the BDs.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:56 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Just take a look at the Blu-ray or HD stream of another Kon classic in Paranoia Agent. It's a bad upscale.

What's your opinion of the 4K release of Kon's Sennen Joyou ("Millennium Actress")? I thought it looked pretty good both in the theater and on my 4K TV.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
I haven't imported the 4K disc, yet, as I was a little bummed at the lack of HDR. I'm pretty happy with the GKIDS Blu-ray, for now. I have an OPPO-203 that upscales the video to 4K and adds Dolby Vision to anything I play on it, so I feel it's an okay tradeoff until GKIDS possibly decides to start releasing Kon's (or even Miyazki's) films in 4K themselves (pending permission/politics from the Japanese side, of course).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1