• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (ONA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (ONA)

Genres: action, horror, psychological, science fiction, thriller
Themes: crime, cyberpunk, cyborgs, fighting, future, gangs, superpowers, technology, tragedy

Plot Summary: David Martinez is an in debt, expelled teenage dropout who teams up with a mercenary gang of cyberpunks, called "Edgerunners". He is able to use cyberware that would otherwise cause others to go crazy. David and his fellow Edgerunners take on illicit jobs, in an alternate future world that has everything going against them. As David climbs the underground ranks, events happen that takes these Edgerunners through love, death, secrets, betrayal and right to the edge: To the powerful corporate elites that look down upon everyone with twisted, deadly vengeance.

September 13, 2022 (Netflix)
----------------------------------

I keep meaning to watch this. But the fact that it's not listed on either the Summer or Fall Preview Guides kept making me forget to make a thread. So, here we go.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:42 am Reply with quote
Copying what I put in the "What Are You Watching Right Now" thread in the general anime forum.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I myself just finished Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, I ended up watching it in 3 chunks, with the last chunk (following a time skip) today. I was pretty well set up to like this series, seeing as I have been pretty into Trigger since Kill la Kill, and this series was especially that sort of level over the top action... and characters that can get more than a little self destructive.

I also have played the Cyberpunk 2077 game, although I have kind of restarted a few times without getting super far. I think the reason had been that to really go far I needed to get myself to really feel immersed, and I kind of stalled on that front due to things like its glitches, and I would say a character that I could be really immersed in. I will say that the anime felt immersive, that it reignited my latest attempt to feel immerse myself in. Along with some updates that the game just brought out, I will see if I can stay invested.

But I did enjoy all the cues that were taken from the game, locations I recognised and such. And I even enjoyed how it played out tragic the setting can be. Special mention for the Rebecca character, I had seen the messages that this was apparently a character that Trigger had to fight with CD Projekt Red in keeping her, and that she apparently is proving popular. But I am pretty certain I would have a good feeling for the character consider the creator's other works, she caught my eye when watching before seeing the hype.

But to give a rating for the show, I am going with Excellent (9/10). I am super into it, for everything from its animation, to its use of slang (I watched it dubbed), but it is maybe a tad too unhappy where I might think that it should be the top of the top. But did just give me thought that I will push Kill la Kill up to the top, change my rating, seeing that is a series that I liked more as time went on.

I also just got done talking about the RWBY anime, and I think that it could have done with a bit of Trigger touch. I hope to see more of that touch into the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1