• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom (TV)
Season 2 - How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom (TV2)

Genres: action, fantasy, magic, romance
Themes: harem, military

Plot Summary: Kazuya Souma found himself summoned to another world and his adventure--did not begin. After he presents his plan to strengthen the country economically and militarily, the king cedes the throne to him and Souma finds himself saddled with ruling the nation. What's more, he's betrothed to the king's daughter now. In order to get the country back on its feet, Souma calls the wise, the talented, and the gifted to his side. Five people gather before the newly crowned Souma.

Season 2 - Jan. 8, 2022 (Saturdays; FUNimation)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Country with economic advisor named "Marx" is in dire economic straights. Go figure.

The show nailed the awkwardness that must come from summoning a hero to save the world, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (season finale)

Apologies for being brief, I am not sure how I will be able to say about this series.

I kind of feel like at another time I might have really been into this show. It being an isekai/fantasy show, that rather than focusing on fighting stuff, it focused on economics, which historically been right up my aisle. It didn't do ridiculous fanservice with its harem stuff, the main protagonist was sensible, and it did feel like it decided to give variety to what happened in the show, such as an actual episode around adventurers.

I am then not entirely sure what it was that made me a little cold with this series. I don't think the animation was bad, technically it was fine, if maybe kind of bland. It maybe just didn't have anything striking, rather than feeling like it was really proud of its idea of a "realist hero", and that was it. And then there was suddenly a big battle, so now his more economic minded realism was traded in for battle strategy mastery.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time, not something bad but I am not sure what I really got out of it. But who knows, perhaps it was some element that it coming out on Sundays meant there were way too many shows competing for attention.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:22 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (season finale)

Well, that was an interesting revelation, finding out why at the beginning of the series he was just made the king, and that it wasn't an as random thing as it might have looked. That apparently any controversy he faced through randomly being made king were worth it.

As the season as a whole, I have similar thoughts to the first season, that it doesn't hit as well with as it theoretically should. I do think that the second season was kind of touching on elements that felt more questionable to me, such that it super became a harem anime, where he just accepts that it is multiple wives time, not brought up that maybe there he would feel a culture clash. And that culture clash I think is a little bit of a background thing, where he just makes the medieval Europe fantasy land more Japanese. But worse I think that the show had some weird whiplashes that I don't think it really thought through an implication. Specifically that Kazuya was apparently mind raped, someone went into his mind and without his consent took very intimate information, and it is just treated like a silly funny thing to help his harem better serve him.

I would love to think higher of the show, but I don't. So my rating is going to be Decent (6/10).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1