• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akudama Drive (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:38 am Reply with quote

Akudama Drive (TV)

Genres: Action, Sci-Fi

Plot Summary: Long ago, there was a war between Kanto and Kansai and the world was split apart. Kansai became a vassal state of Kantou, and as developed in its own peculiar way. However, the power of the government and the police is waning, and crime is widespread. These criminals are called "akudama." As these akudama gather together in one place, their aesthetics will clash and an ordinary girl will be caught up in their world of crime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:24 am Reply with quote
1:

Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into.

Akira-inspired dystopian world. Worst scum of society. Over-the-top action. And some game about to take place. To spice things up, a girl who can't even cut some slack over spare change. Objectively speaking, there are so many things wrong with the show. I'm not even sure where to start... maybe the biggest one is: why is girl can't get over 500 yen.

I don't get her as a character, but I get her as a role. We have a Courier, a Brawler, a Hacker, and a Doctor. Why no names? Why even bother; if I were to take this show as a brainless action-packed show, probably their class is all I need to know. Oh, let's not forget Cutthroat the super S-class, the Hoodlum (not sure what kind of class this is... something like a Goon?), and a... Swindler? That's interesting; there's always this kind of class in a MMORPG, right?

Basically, that's all there is, right? Not characters, but roles. Everyone is a badass—all your 3 different kinds of Evil—but Swindler is there as the token Lawful Good. You know, just to spice things up a little. Show is basically "style over substance", nothing to be taken seriously. Just switch off your brain and enjoy the fun. Fine, I'll do that.

But I admit: if I were to do that, I want real fun in this case. The plot is cheap but effective: a plot involving a game/proposition/"suicide squad" is always entertaining from the get-go. But most of all, the animation is damn slick. If I never looked at the credits, I would've thought Madhouse produced this.

Impress me with your WTFness, Akudama Drive. Wow me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:56 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Objectively speaking, there are so many things wrong with the show. I'm not even sure where to start... maybe the biggest one is: why is girl can't get over 500 yen.

Unless I read into it wrongly, I don't think that she was actually there by accident. I think that she was purposefully led there by Courier dropping that money which she would not use, and the cat being an entity to whatever is happening, put her right into the situation. Maybe she will just be totally ordinary and is thus an anomaly for this group of weirdos, but I am taking it as a character trait on the level of the other craziness that she will do what she thinks is the right thing even if it will hit her back. With a sort of luck that is equal parts amazing and horrendous, with her title as a fake swindler; a fake fake.

Kind of like how Dangaronpa had people with the talents of being lucky, despite otherwise completely normal, and being overpowered.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Unless I read into it wrongly, I don't think that she was actually there by accident. I think that she was purposefully led there by Courier dropping that money which she would not use, and the cat being an entity to whatever is happening, put her right into the situation. Maybe she will just be totally ordinary and is thus an anomaly for this group of weirdos, but I am taking it as a character trait on the level of the other craziness that she will do what she thinks is the right thing even if it will hit her back. With a sort of luck that is equal parts amazing and horrendous, with her title as a fake swindler; a fake fake.

The cat ultimately landed her in this situation, that's certain. But I can't tell for sure if that's what the mastermind intended originally. Even if it was, I'm not sure if the mastermind deliberately chose her specifically out of anyone else. Because like I said, it doesn't seem to matter who's what in this show; everyone is simply a role. Swindler has a role too; she might be the most interesting one, but only because everyone else's role is plain obvious. What else can you expect from a Brawler.

There are so many questions I want to ask because there are so many bullet holes in the plot. One thing I wonder now is: how many collars were there supposed to be? Is the total number of death collars is supposed to be the total number of players? If yes, then why were there extras? Like the one on the policeman who just got his head blown off.

But maybe I shouldn't overthink. If this show is meant to be brainless, should I even care if things don't add up? Maybe not. There's this whole Kanto versus Kansai (East Coast VS West Coast) thing going on, so that seems interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
As a basically superficial entity myself, I have no problem surrendering to a show that prizes style over substance. To a certain extent, this show fills the same kind of niche that Hypnosis Mic does: it just wants to overwhelm you with the visual razzamataz and never mind if it doesn't actually make a lick of sense. Bring it on!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:03 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:

There are so many questions I want to ask because there are so many bullet holes in the plot. One thing I wonder now is: how many collars were there supposed to be? Is the total number of death collars is supposed to be the total number of players? If yes, then why were there extras? Like the one on the policeman who just got his head blown off.

Because one had to go off as an example, that's a given in these kind of stories. Earlier in the episode there was a lineup of people... brawler, doctor, courier, hacker... and sniper. We don't know yet anything about sniper but this gang plus hoodlum, cutthroat and swindler are our Se7en. There were 8 collars but whether or not Sniper was to be the 8 is TBD for now I guess.

And if the cop who died was sniper is also a question but probably that's "no".

I didn't see the Akira influence myself, I just saw the Blade Runner set design and stopped there. The show is ok, both dark and multi colored futuristic take on... nothing in particular and that's the biggest problem. "Akudama" are just criminals but having some with super advanced abilities doesn't separate them from other Akadama? You'd think there be more of a distinction other than "time accrued".

Sure, the direction and production design are fantastic but without a point to it, they're just shouting.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:21 pm Reply with quote
2:

yey.

So... even if Hoodlum and Swindlers were not part of the mastermind's calculations, Hoodlum is the team... weasel. The one who gets far by buttering up to the right people and always knows how to get out of a sticky situation to save his own neck. The slimy goon. Yyyeah, you'd be amazed by how long they last. Swindler however, is guided by... hijinks. The untouchable one with the devil's luck. She doesn't swindle on purpose, in the traditional sense; it's just that the situation always turns out in her favor. In short. Ms. Deus Ex Machina. Rrrright.

So... Kansai is basically Imperial Japan, and Kanto is Truman USA. Kanto dropped "a bomb" (because ummm... yeah) but then helped them pick up the pieces. Kyushu is Kanto's b*tch(?) so Kansai is trying to say FU to Kanto's power. Huh... great. Sounds like a plot pulled out of one's a**.

But like I said, there's no room for my brain in this show. Suicide squad with an impossible mission, and whopee, we have Executioners. Yes of course; what better way to counter S-class rowdy outlaws, then with S-class uptight law enforcers, ammarite!

Fun times.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

So, the episode gave us a little snippet about Executioners that go undercover, right as Swindler is going undercover for the Akudama, I think that we can take this as strong foreshadowing that one of them is likely a police plant. My strongest theory for the undercover plant is Swindler, just like how I said in the first episode that I think that she was not there by chance. May well be a possibility that she multiple layers deep. The interesting point making her more suspicious is that despite being someone with no skills she was surprisingly proficient that I would not be surprised if she really is something.

Current theory is that Swindler is an Akudama (Swindler), pretending to be a certain way to become an executioner, pretending to be a normal person pretending to be a Swindler.

Hoodlum is another strong possibility, being an apparent low rate criminal who was in police custody that most are probably not thinking of much risk from. Arguably the fact that both of them pressed the button when the situation looked unlikely makes me think that either or both could be undercover, and are ensuring that it works out for their own goal where they are masters at looking like they are just lucky. Also, did anyone think of Glados because of that one robot voice? It was Japanese, but sounded really similar.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
I feel like I should be enjoying this show more than I am and I can't even really put my finger on why I'm not. I enjoy Swindler but none of the other characters are grabbing me, I guess. I like your theory about Swindler, DP. Considering this comes from the creator of the dang Danganropna franchise, we have to expect a number of twists and turns.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
3:

You can't kill any of the guards?
There's a time limit?
Buttons must be impressed simultaneously?
Don't trigger any of the alarms?

Jeez, this whole show is basically a video game. Might as well just add in the stipulation of "only silent takedowns allowed".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I am enjoying the show more and more. This episode did shift a bit more towards action, the two executioners returning and those who can fight were fighting, especially brawler. A little surprised that in this cyberpunk setting where courier is pretty cybernetic, he apparently can't remote control his bike, that would have seemed obvious, but I guess they need him up against the wall for a good chunk of this episode. Also surprising that this series seemed so quick that it might get someone killed, none of the main characters have been yet despite what would look like close situations, although that could bring into question that there is a cast of character they like and might not want to kill one of so early.

Hoodlum is a particular character I am enjoying more, since I would think that he would stay unlikable, but his thing with brawler is cute. Swindler has also well earned her part as the central main character, she seems to really be pushing the group. If Swindler really is undercover, I am going to guess she did not know that children were getting transported.

Black cat is not feeling so good. And they managed to get what they were after in the vault, which happens to be two children. I am so happy that not only did it leave us with the boy maybe sounding like black cat, but confirmed it was him after the ED.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
3:

You can't kill any of the guards?
There's a time limit?
Buttons must be impressed simultaneously?
Don't trigger any of the alarms?

Jeez, this whole show is basically a video game. Might as well just add in the stipulation of "only silent takedowns allowed".

Thanks for reminding me why this train reminded me of Blaine the Mono from Stephen King's the Dark Tower. Train that breaks the sound barrier traveling through a radioactive wasteland between safe zones but to board the train/mono, you have to solve a video game style puzzle.

It wasn't the setting, it was the "silly games" button pressing boarding part that reminded of Blaine. At least this show only had two, Blaine needed- primes counting down from 99- buttons pressed. from an array of 99 buttons.

Episode 4- stuff happened. I think I preferred the thinking and action getting on the train from the previous episode over what actually happened on the train. "Are they dead? Does it matter?"
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
4:

I find it hilarious how this show gives a neo-dystopian twist to every Japanese historical reference. Of course, the climax is the almighty hanko. Of course it is. Maybe we would be surprised that the prized cargo were kids, but does it surprise anyone that they're dressed like kids from Grave of the Fireflies? That's poking Japanese history, right there.

You can actually see Japanese history progressing in tandem with the show itself. We're now moving from Imperial Japan to the 70s, starting with the Expo Park. Yeah, as if it's not in obvious enough it's in reference to the 1970 Osaka Expo.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
6:

That was fun. DAMN THAT WAS FUN.

Man, this show isn't pulling any punches with the action. It's mindless fun, but there's also some serious drama on the side. A lot more characterization, even more than plot development. Not that I don't like it; in fact, I *love* it.

It's just that I wonder if the whole world-building doesn't mean anything; what matters are the people fighting this war between the Akudama and the Executioner.

I wonder what's going to happen with Apprentice from now on.

P.S. I have to admit one thing: why is Swindler so offended by Cutthroat using Blackcat as a meat shield? Why is she morally repulsed by someone who cuts throats for a living? She is aware that she's surrounded by criminals, right? Right?? Stockholm Syndrome, much!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
6:

P.S. I have to admit one thing: why is Swindler so offended by Cutthroat using Blackcat as a meat shield? Why is she morally repulsed by someone who cuts throats for a living? She is aware that she's surrounded by criminals, right? Right?? Stockholm Syndrome, much!

I thought the same thing and they all know he's killed a thousand people so Swindler should know he's a masses murderer. But as the series is celebration of style in place of substance, most questions reduce down to "because". But this one may have a reason of Swindler being the swindler they all think she is and she needs the kids alive.

The longer Swindler survives, the more of an anomaly she becomes. Without context, she's a normal person but seeing how she not only travels with a pack of rabid criminals, she's kind of leading them suggests there could be more to her then meets the eye. Or else she has an amazing talent for customer service.

Which is pretty smart in this world as the greatest swindler wouldn't be one to get caught... oh yeah, that's why I lost interest in the Great Pretender after the first story; a known con artist should be a liability, not an asset.

As for the episode, a fight was fought and some people died... this time. I guess. Probably? The show had a good cliffhanger thing going which was then ruined by the next episode preview.

Doctor reconnecting her bisected midsection is more probable than fixing her own neck after losing both hands... right? Maybe?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3