• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Endro~! (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote

Endro~! (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes: magicl girl, school

Plot Summary: On Naral Island, a hero named Yulia "Yusha" Chardiet and her party of friends confront the Demon Lord plaguing the Kingdom of Lapanesta. However, their sealing spell goes wrong and the girls inadvertently send the Demon Lord back in time to before Yusha became a hero. Reverted to the size of a small girl, the Demon Lord, now known as Mao, becomes a teacher at Yusha's Adventure School with the aim of expelling Yusha so that she'll never become a hero in the future.
----------------------------------

Episodes 1 & 2

I was assuming that this was going to mostly be a low effort show, that mostly got passing marks for its use of setting, but after both of the first two episodes, I think that it actually is looking pretty good with using a bunch of interesting ideas and doing well. I especially recognised this in the second episode, where Yusha tried being the leader of the group, and her idea was to go searching for items in a random person's house, getting herbs, money, food, and sexy underwear. It is not like it is an original joke, Magical Circle Guru-Guru also played the joke quite a bit, and I am not sure yet if this is up to the chops of exactly how hilarious that show could be with being silly, but maybe less focused on just the game setting that it can do more.

That joke above seemed very funnily echoed later when apparently the demon lord's first encounter with them had the same sort of frantic actions where they invaded the demon lord's space. In how it apparently was not fitting a super sentimental thing, but also I think it brought to mind times I had played a game, met a boss, and was kind of more interested if I could look around the boss room for things like a secret door. Slightly transitioning, I am kind of not sure how to gender them, Mao-chan seems mostly female that referring to her as such seems okay, but how she was before looked and sounded more masculine. Kind of feels like a hanging thread if when sent back in time, the other demon lord still exists, the hero team also seemed sent into the same vortex also, which leaves what happened to them. It kind of also looked different to what we saw earlier.

Another fun moment was when they decided that they could have their mascot, the fittingly named Chibi-chan, be their leader, and were getting all worked up over her trying to walk bipedal. I know that this is a mostly cute show, and also mostly interested in getting a laugh, but I think that if it keeps up this work, it might manage to be a pretty good show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Professional cat finders. That in itself was not very funny, before they actually decided that it would be their legacy and then got an actual quest. And then took on another cat quest which took them much further than they would think.

It doesn't feel like it has yet fallen into a rut, with at least the first three episodes being interesting enough.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I kind of wish that I commented more about this show. Not like it is top amazing or something, it is actually fairly mediocre in terms of story and general ambition. A lot of the time it is indeed just a string of jokes, with an awareness of the fantasy genre, but it feels like underneath all of that, it kind of has a heart. You could sure question if there is any bite behind the kind of kid friendly aspects or silly do whatever, but it is also cynical and yet it actually cuts through its own cynicism at times. Especially with this episode that had Mao running into her maid golem and saying the living together was just to keep an eye on her, but it was kind of clear that through the earlier episode that showed her origin, the maid golem "Meigo", is the closest thing she has to family. Honestly it felt so sweet of a moment when Mao realized Meigo was sacrificing herself to hide Mao's identity, and yet Mao was not going to let that happen.

It has its amount of kind of funny jokes too, such as the sort of underplay of Seyla saying she could clean her room in a few years, with the others lamp shading that it being a "nice elf joke", although probably also thinking chances are it might actually take so long.

The characters really grew onto me during the run, Mao is especially a favourite. I feel invested to see how things will play out now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Usually I might have a problem of super happy endings, where everything goes back to normal, and even the one forced into the role of villain can gets to go back. But really I am just happy, and stay friends. Because sometimes you don't need deep and dark battles and conflicts where everything is tragic, just have a bunch of friends. There were some sweet moments in the last episode, like them all still calling the Maid Golem; Meigo, not only the hero party but Mao also. And funny that Rona in fact did not know that Mao was the demon lord and was simply quoting heroes like a Chuuni.

It also seemed to reveal that Yusha in fact did not mess up a spell that created a vortex to the past, instead as Mao said about it being creator god level magic, it was actually Chibi that took them all to the past, and including herself in the story as their mascot. The evidence had been there about Chibi being super powerful, after all she could eat that evil god thing, and indeed was not in any of the past timeline things.

I liked the show. It was childish, but it didn't kid itself that it would be anything more. In fact the whole plot seemed to be about casting away that sort of grit. The end pretty much showed that that a "creator" god changed things to be happier, like giving Meigo independence, and removing the shackle of hero and demon lord from the respective characters. It could kind of feel like anything could happen, but as much as a power fantasy of the story, it could humble too, like the Cartardo village and the cat missions. It was cute, occasionally funny, and usually good hearted.

I give a rating of Good (7/10), worth seeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1